Sponsored by: DashLynx

Concours Prep 1997 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 01:58 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
Car looks great. That sucks about the judges being screwed up. I kinda know how you feel. About 5 years ago I went crazy cleaning my BMW for about 3 days (pre-kids) in preparation of our local BMWCCA clean car contest and didn't even place. I was in the "clean" class, the most basic level. Whatever, now I just do a nice detail and "display" my car. Seems like there is a certain amount of politics involved sometimes.
I did the BMW thing for a few years, & was involved as a judge & participant. Yes, I also noticed some of the politics.

Originally Posted by 177mph
Hey Stealth - sorry to hear about the judging. Sounds pretty f'd up. Tell me - did you change the emblem on the back of your car? Your avatar shows one position which I always took as the correct one - and the pics show another.
I'm over it, but it seams like this is kind of the PCA norm, & not just me being a sore looser. Yes, I had a new red "S" put on when the front bumper was done. It looked right to me.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Judges can definitely make all the difference. I've judged events and I've been judged and I've watched other judges and it really amazes me how everyone looks at things different. The best way to set up an event is not to have different judges for the same class, they should all judge each car and suck it up. Each car should have a time limit as well to insure that you don't rush through the last few cars and miss something.

If that doesn't happen then all bets are off IMHO.

Good luck this year, looks like your ready!

Oh and that is an absolutely stunning car and if you decide to sell in the next 5 - 6 years let me know.
Yes, their should not be a different set of judges for one class, unless they are going to break up the class with the judges. Dam their were 13 cars, when I would judge, we would do 15-25 cars, & it would take 1-2 hours.

This may be my last PCA outing with it, really it's not worth my effort, if it makes not difference to win if the car is clean or not.

Not going to sell it, it took me almost 10 years to get it!

Originally Posted by g_murray
Friggin' crapola.

No question about it -- there was something totally messed up with the judging. That totally sux!

You and I, both, have been to shows and have won prizes -- so we know the 'level of effort required' and what a car *worthy* of a placing actually looks like. Prize-cars "leap out at you". From what you describe there was definte bias. Screw them, enjoy your car in the pristine condition that it is - and enjoy the stares of the onlookers as you cruise the streets.
my car was the only one 'out of state' in the whole show. (Aw-Oh!)

It does leave a bad taste in your mouth, dats fer sure, but we (wifey and I) just hit 'nearest places of interest' on the Garmin (296) - and spent the rest of the day checking out the local sights and taking pix -- and, yes, enjoying the stares of the other drivers.

Gerry
Yea, it did leave a bad taste. It was more that I spent a ton of time & effort to get the car that way. Then to loose to 2 car that I know, just washed & showed up. They were sorted clean cars, but not concours clean, just normal Saturday morning wash clean. If they had put in the time, & were on the same level, then I would have something to work & strive for the next one.

Originally Posted by fullbooker
I got involved in PCA Concours in 2006, both as a judge and a participant. It did not take long to figure out that judging conflicts of interest were standard occurances at most events. They had no problem judging each others' cars and "scratching each others' backs" in the grading, if you know what I mean. I ended up winning the 2006 wash and shine category for my zone.
I got involved to have fun preparing my car for concours competion and to meet more Porsche enthusiasts. I met a lot of very nice people, however, the concours competitions were kind of a joke.

No more concours for me! I'm going to drive my car!

Phil
Yea, I am seething this. I also wondered why there were not to many cars out there, it seams like this is why.

Originally Posted by evo111
Nicely done!! PCA concours can be very frustrating!! I see your steam unit in the background - which make and model? Are you using on the interior only or on the exterior also? Is it worth the investment? TIA.
It's not mine, but my friends. I know it was a few grand, & it's very heavy. I used it for the interior, undercarridge, & front trunk. When I removed the side stone guard it was used to help remove the leftover clue. It is not something that I would use on every detail, just once or twice a year for the deep cleaning.

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Beautiful car! But I'm confused, who is doing the detailing here: the car owner, or the detailer? Or is the car owner a detailer???

Another concours question: don't you get points off for mods that were not factory options, or options that were not originally on your car?
My friend owns his own detailing business. It's me doing the polishing, & me doing the cleaning in the pics, he is the one taking the pics. He did help in the interior, & wheels, but the body was all me.

In my class the car does not need to be stock. Some of the other ones, everything needs to be factory, every nut & bolt. That is not to much fun for me, as I like to make the car faster!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:16 AM
jhubs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Job on the car!!! Just simply Beautiful !!!

Hey Stealth,
Judging in Concours sound like judging Olympic Ice Skating or Quarter Horse judging. We quit showing horses because it is so political and has absolutly NOTHING to do with the horse.

If you enjoy the Concours process, keep doing it. If it frustrates you more that the enjoyment factor, call someone on the poor job of judging they have done, make a stink and force them to justify their actions. You will either be banished into the desert or they will respect you for standing up for what is right. If that makes you one of the outsiders, then move on to what makes you happy.

I would love to have my car that clean, but I love to drive it in the mountains and it either rains or snows 8 out of 10 days in the Colorado Mountains...so, I would turn into a real PITA with my Porsche friends..."Hey look, there's a cloud...come on Joyce let's go home!"
Old 06-06-2008, 01:51 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jhubs
Nice Job on the car!!! Just simply Beautiful !!!

Hey Stealth,
Judging in Concours sound like judging Olympic Ice Skating or Quarter Horse judging. We quit showing horses because it is so political and has absolutly NOTHING to do with the horse.

If you enjoy the Concours process, keep doing it. If it frustrates you more that the enjoyment factor, call someone on the poor job of judging they have done, make a stink and force them to justify their actions. You will either be banished into the desert or they will respect you for standing up for what is right. If that makes you one of the outsiders, then move on to what makes you happy.

I would love to have my car that clean, but I love to drive it in the mountains and it either rains or snows 8 out of 10 days in the Colorado Mountains...so, I would turn into a real PITA with my Porsche friends..."Hey look, there's a cloud...come on Joyce let's go home!"
I was going to say something about it, but my GF told me not to, as I was worked up, & I tend to get loud, it's the Boston in me.

I enjoy having the car clean, but do enjoy driving it, it poured out on the way home, just the other day I drove it in the rain, it no longer looks anything like it did in the pics.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:24 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jhubs

TOOO FUNNY < to me anyway >

<<<<---------------

Old 06-06-2008, 02:34 AM
WarpMan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JoAnne,
I was wondering when you would peek in on this thread.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:37 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 317 Likes on 140 Posts

Caught me!!! I just could not resist.

I'm always here, I just don't post much.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:03 AM
gmblack3
Instructor

Great dedication!
Old 07-05-2008, 12:26 PM
killsbugsfast
Rennlist Member

Stealth 993 - which engine cleaner did you use??
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+one+gallon.do
or
Old 07-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by killsbugsfast

Oil & greese, never used the "engine" one

Quick Reply: Concours Prep 1997 C4S