Sponsored by: DashLynx

Needing a new battery...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:12 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Needing a new battery...

My battery will not hold a charge longer than a week. After winning at the PCA Concours in Toronto this past weekend, I had to sheepishly ask for a boost because the battery had drained during the show. What is the recommended battery of choice?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:33 PM
dlambert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

depends on many factors. me I like sealed (no spill no out gas) batteries like the Optima or others in that style. my preference is for an Optima yellow-top (deep cycle starting battery) because they last much longer in our garage kept queens. Sadly the yellow top won't fit due to the bend in the positive battery cable so use the red top. Go ahead and mount a tender to the battery terminals and run the power cord up into the trunk area. Then when you return from a show or driving event you can simply plug the tender up and cover until the next outing.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:36 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Odyssey 925T with a Rennline battery mount kit. Light, small, plenty o' cranking amps... put it on a trickle charger from time to time. My battery shop has had some "bad experiences" with Optima batteries, and I just had one get toasted in my BMW.

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/ind...ct_detail&p=39

http://www.rennline.com/products.asp?dept=195
Old 06-19-2008, 10:28 PM
mkimber
Advanced

I have had good luck with my Costco battery (standard Group 48 issue), and you can vent it. I have an Optima Red Top (bought at Costco) in my '87 Carrera, which also has performed well.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:43 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have one from Advance Auto parts. Was about $60 w/72 month warranty and starts right up even after sitting 2 weeks or more.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:50 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

I've found that by keeping the car unlocked when garaged at home, I don't even need my battery tender. The immobilizer/flashing LED seems to take a ton of juice. Unfortunately, my car can sit at times for weeks (three to four at a time) in between drives. It used to be that if I had the immobilizer on, the batter would be dead without a tender on it. Now, I can go three or four weeks and she starts right up as long as I've left the alarm off.

The way I figure it, the car is the the garage, the garage is alarmed, the keys are in the house (which is locked, alarmed and has two large dogs lounging/patrolling) the alarm on the car is just redundant and a battery drainer.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:12 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
I've found that by keeping the car unlocked when garaged at home, I don't even need my battery tender. The immobilizer/flashing LED seems to take a ton of juice. Unfortunately, my car can sit at times for weeks (three to four at a time) in between drives. It used to be that if I had the immobilizer on, the batter would be dead without a tender on it. Now, I can go three or four weeks and she starts right up as long as I've left the alarm off.

The way I figure it, the car is the the garage, the garage is alarmed, the keys are in the house (which is locked, alarmed and has two large dogs lounging/patrolling) the alarm on the car is just redundant and a battery drainer.
All good points. I guess it's just a habit to lock the car doors, lock the doors leading into the house and the garage doors themselves. All equipped with a screaming alarm system and Shih-Tzu that will gnaw your ankles clean off if startled. I think leaving the P car unarmed will definitely save some battery life.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:24 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I replaced the Interstate that was in the car with another Interstate. The date stamp indicated that the
battery had been in the car for seven years which is pretty good for a low mileage car. I use a
BatteryMinder Plus when the car has not been driven in a couple weeks. With the Interstate the
vent tube must be re-attached to the new one.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:33 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Optima Red & tender here. I have to lock mine though.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Living in TO, go to your local Canadian Tire and buy their best group 48 battery - mine has survived 2 winters of hibernation, and still measures full CCA rating, likely good for another 3+ years.

Quick Reply: Needing a new battery...