Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ferrari smarter? or care much more about how their car sound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ferrari smarter? or care much more about how their car sound?

So I have owned my Ferrari 360 for 6 month now, everyday I am still discovering interesting design approches that I think Porsche should adapt.

One of them being in the exhaust system, the Ferrari factory stock exhaust system meets all Euro drive by regulations but in the same time maintained the old school famed Ferrari sound.

How did they do it?

(1). A variable exhaust system operated by vaccum determined by RPM. I know the 996 have a similiar sport exhaust system, but the Ferrari system was designed from the ground up with this in mind, unlike Porsche's afterthought.

(2). The variable system works after the system is started, so basically the exhaust system's default mode is in the wide open mode "loud", so that's why Ferraris have the initial loud bark on start up, as soon as vaccum builds up the valves closes and car quiets down. Perfect for the wonderful start up sound!!!

(3). After 4500 RPM the valve opens again, and then the exhaust is routed through almost a straight pipe system. So.... wonderful sound.

Just a thought.....

Last edited by Robin 993DX; 06-20-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:10 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ferrari Exhaust System.....$5 grand.

RSR Mufflers.....$400.

Nuff said.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:22 PM
herman maire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to modify my 993 exhaust to have a little more ferrari/Lambo sound to it and thats what I plan to do... to be honest, the exhaust on my 993 sounds like a little V8 truck at idle. Even the after market porsche exhausts dont sound that great to me.

Do you have any pics of the Ferrari set up?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:25 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apparently he hasn't experienced Robin or my products eh Keith?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:56 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
So I have owned my Ferrari 360 for 6 month now, everyday I am still discovering interesting design approches that I think Porsche should adapt.

One of them being in the exhaust system, the Ferrari factory stock exhaust system meets all Euro drive by regulations but in the same time maintained the old school famed Ferrari sound.

How did they do it?

(1). A variable exhaust system operated by vaccum determined by RPM. I know the 996 have a similiar sport exhaust system, but the Ferrari system was designed from the ground up with this in mind, unlike Porsche's afterthought.

(2). The variable system works after the system is started, so basically the exhaust system's default mode is in the wide open mode "loud", so that's why Ferraris have the initial loud bark on start up, as soon as vaccum builds up the valves closes and car quiets down. Perfect for the wonderful start up sound!!!

(3). After 4500 RPM the valve opens again, and then the exhaust is routed through almost a straight pipe system. So.... wonderful sound.

Just a thought.....
um . . . that's pretty much exactly how the sport exhaust works on the 997. No afterthought. Nonetheless, I altered mine so that I could switch it full on or full off when I want without vacuum intervention.

Quick Reply: Ferrari smarter? or care much more about how their car sound?