bigmac
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

American classic
Old 07-26-2008, 06:20 PM
KeithR3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a Sub and I love my watch. My firend is currently looking to unload his Daytona, it is in great shape. He is looking to sell because he and his family are looking to purchase a new house. PM me if you are interested and I'll get yu in touch with him.

Keith
Old 07-26-2008, 07:25 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 on the IWC "Grosse Flieger". Maybe at some point if I do not know how to burn money. In the meantime I enjoy my more affordable collection ...
Attached Images  
Old 07-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hmmm, Rolex's really do nothing for me, but my Speedmaster Pro, who can argue with a watch that can be worn on the OUTSIDE of a spacesuit during moonwalks and still works fine? :-)

I wanted one of these since I was a kid watching the space program, and years ago I finally got one. Manual wind, great watch, just pure and simple. I agree with Louis, I like simplicity and engineering cleanless, and this one hits the spot.

Whan I got the watch, I wrote Omega in Europe commenting how happy I was to get this watch. They sent me a 160 page book "Omega Speedmaster Professional - The Moon Watch, The first and only watch worn on the moon" in response...the book is still on my shelf in its original shipping envelope. It shows the history, the specific tests NASA put the watches through, and which missions they were worn. I think its neat that there are photos of the testing records of some of the watches. Do you know that this watch was the only one to pass the brutal testing that NASA did, and the political fallout of having a Swiss watch on a US astronaut was significant! The first use was on the first flight of Gemini, with Grissom and Young on board, and then through all the Apollo missions. Funnily enough, the watch was not designed by Omega for this use, and Omega only learned that Nasa was using their watches 6 months after the first mission!

Another tidbit. The first Omega Speedmaster to be first on the moon was not Neil Armstrongs. Apparently, Neil left his in the lunar module as a safety since the clock in the module stopped working, and thus Buzz Aldrin's Speedmaster was the first. Unfortunately, that watch was later stolen with other personal effects from Buzz, and never recovered.

God, I am such as space geek!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-26-2008, 09:54 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get both the Speedmaster Pro and the Daytona. Speedmasters are very available compared to the Daytona. You can even order one from amazon.com.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:04 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 435 Posts

It was a smart move not spending $9200 on the Daytona then if it doesn't float your $9200 boat. It's a huge chunk of change for a watch, unless you're a bit obsessed.

If you ever have the hankering to own one though, and need a little extra coaxing, just visit us at timezone.com, the Rolex modern forum, and there's plenty of great Rolex folk to chat with before purchasing, just like here at Rennlist.

I love mine, though! Wanted one since the early 90's and just got one 2 or so years ago. Really glad I did. It's almost total stealth, which I like. Rarely has anyone ever commented on it or noticed it.

Cheers,
Steve R

Old 07-27-2008, 07:50 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Rarely has anyone ever commented on it or noticed it.
Except those in the know...

BTW, nice watch...

Last edited by IamSMC; 07-27-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:25 PM
Sean993
Instructor

I found this interesting, apparently the letter in front of the serial number means alot.
Attached Images  
Old 07-27-2008, 06:33 PM
MM993
Instructor

Sean993,
Cool info, Thanks
Old 07-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by MM993
Sean993,
Cool info, Thanks
Here's some more cool info
This is where Elvis and Rolex intersect.
Posted today on TZ...

http://www.rolexblog.blogspot.com/
Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 PM
MM993
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Here's some more cool info
This is where Elvis and Rolex intersect.
Posted today on TZ...

http://www.rolexblog.blogspot.com/

Steve, awesome stuff!!
Thanks again
Old 07-28-2008, 09:33 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Hmmm, Rolex's really do nothing for me, but my Speedmaster Pro, who can argue with a watch that can be worn on the OUTSIDE of a spacesuit during moonwalks and still works fine? :-)...
Cheers,

Mike
Note my posts earlier in the thread. The moonwatch is a classic. Bienne is fantastic too, as you saw.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:01 AM
sydneymark
Advanced

Default and now for something completely different

the car 1996 ..the watch 1993 ...first year Panerai released it watches to the public. The Panerai history is amazing ..Its original list price and what I could sell it for now
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2008, 01:16 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'ts all well and good having new watches that are perfect, but's what is the point of having something that you are scared to wear for fear of damaging it? I fall into the Ferry Porsche ideal when it comes to my "boy's toys" in that every scratch or stonechip is another page in it's history file, so my Seamaster is a case in point.

It was made in 1997 & now worn every day since the day it's was bought unless it is in for a service. I wear it for at least 16 hours a day and don't even take it off when I'm welding. Reliable? So far it's only had a full set of replacement link pins (wore the original ones out) and a new winder **** assembly. Had someone question it's originality just last week, stating "if it was original it would have a two tone satin/polish on the strap" - he was duly embarassed when I took it off, showed him the correct finish between the links and explained that 11 years wear has polished it all over!

Museum piece watches, like some cars, are beautiful creations and I truly admire them and have been tempted in making an "investment", however in retrospect I would rather have one that had won Le Mans in successive years and looks like it.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: OT: Rolex Stainless Daytona