Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:24 AM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default OT: Rolex Stainless Daytona

Hello All...

I have an opportunity to purchase a new SS Rolex Daytona for $9200... I know that at one time, these watches were near impossible to get. Are they as difficult to come by today? I have searched, and some posts suggest that Rolex is increasing production of these watches... If so, the opportunity may not be as attractive.

Recommendations? Comments?
Old 07-21-2008, 10:31 AM
bart1
Race Car

I am a watch guy, not really Rolex, though. Daytonas used to sell from dealers for way over retail amd have a wait list. Great watches, but not sure what the going rate is. I do know that typically, vintage watches, esp from Rolex and Omega (my choice), have gone through the roof.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:42 AM
sydneymark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How well do you know watches?

Its like cars ..worth doing reserach ...I have collected for several years and owned Rolex Sub / Sea Dweller / GMT and Daytona ...I now have the GMT as a daily beater although I wear Panerai most of the time ...Rolex make good movements and around 900,000 watches / year ...Panerai 35,000 (note ...they recently also took over the Ferrari watch )

Do you also need a Chrono movement that the Daytona has ?

If you can push the budget up look at a Lange and Sonhe ...or for the slightly less the IWC big pilot ...for much less and a realy good watch with a standard movement a Panerai base (if you can get one) Pam 0 or Pam 5

In the end its what you like ...Rolex has the compliment in that there are so many fakes ...

Hope this helps
Old 07-21-2008, 11:26 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you really like it, then get it. Yes its somewhat rare, but not as rare as it used to be. When Rolex started to use its in house movement for the Daytona, they ramped up production, but also increased the price. $9200 is list for the Daytona so if its new from an authorized dealer, then its a safe buy. With the dollar taking a beating against the Euro, its also a safe bet that the price will keep increasing. In the hey day of the Daytona, about 4 years ago, it was only $6100 list price and people were getting $9000+ for them. Awesome watch with lots of history.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:03 PM
pewter82
Drifting

I have a GMT 2 ,red/black love it, half the price ,and easy to read and use. Its a more "in your face Rolex" due to the look thats been around for awhile, so a more exclusive watch may not have the " wow factor" if thats what your looking for, and when you drop that kind of $$ on a wrist watch some people do..

jason
Old 07-21-2008, 02:49 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pewter82
I have a GMT 2 ,red/black love it, half the price ,and easy to read and use. Its a more "in your face Rolex" due to the look thats been around for awhile, so a more exclusive watch may not have the " wow factor" if thats what your looking for, and when you drop that kind of $$ on a wrist watch some people do..

jason
Funny you say that. My first Rolex was/is a two tone Daytona that I wore almost daily for about two years. I recently got a SS GMT Black face for a more 'durable' watch to wear every day. I get more compliments on the GMT than the Daytona which I attribute to the fact that the average person doesn't recognize the Daytona for what it is since it doesn't have the cyclops.

Michael, if you want a Daytona, get it but I can't say that price is incredible enough to pass by if you're on the fence.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:07 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

A Rolex is a Rolex I don't think you will ever regret it.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:48 PM
jes999
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael S.
Hello All...

I have an opportunity to purchase a new SS Rolex Daytona for $9200... I know that at one time, these watches were near impossible to get. Are they as difficult to come by today? I have searched, and some posts suggest that Rolex is increasing production of these watches... If so, the opportunity may not be as attractive.

Recommendations? Comments?
They are still hard to come by at "retail". Lots of watch dealers will sell them at a $2K mark-up.

For $9200 it is a very good deal.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

never really cared for the daytonas. Currently wear an ss submariner and a datejust.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

If price, or purchasing also as an investment, is a factor, I strongly suggest you look at an older Rolex. The rarer older ones can be pricey, but they are nearly guaranteed to hold value or even appreciate in price. They also enjoy being rarer than any new watch and will never be produced again, kinda like a 993.

I own a 1972 "red letter" Submariner that I paid top dollar for from a high-end watch store in 2000. It is now worth four times what I paid for it. You won't be able to say that about a new Daytona in 8 years...
Old 07-21-2008, 04:33 PM
bart1
Race Car

Goofball knows what's up - a red letter sub is ridiculously expensive now.

This thread needs a couple pics.

Here is the watch I have that has tripled in value since buying it a couple years ago - Omega PloProf:

And, as chronos go, this is my fave:

Old 07-21-2008, 04:46 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I suspect that the introduction of the ceramic bezel GMT (and the HUGE demand for it) has certainly slowed down the demand for the Daytona.

In fact, the classic red/black GMT, which has been made for decades, has been discontinued. (A rare event for Rolex). I suspect this is to prop up demand for the other non-ceramic sport models, including the Daytona.

Eventually, I think they will all go to ceramic bezels for all of the models, including the Daytona. Not sure if this will increase the value for the "old" Daytona models, but as with our 993's the last of the era usually holds its value the best.

For the latest on pricing check out rolex board at www.timezone.com (which is like the rennlist of watches).
Old 07-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,854 Likes on 1,728 Posts

Bart, you have good taste. My daily is a Speedmaster 125. Vintage Omegas & aircooled Porsches.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:01 PM
bart1
Race Car

The PloProf is basically my daily. Have on a vintage Seiko today (don't shortchange them!)
Old 07-21-2008, 05:26 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Louis J.
Bart, you have good taste. My daily is a Speedmaster 125. Vintage Omegas & aircooled Porsches.
I too have an Omega Speedmaster (but not vintage). It's the best looking (and most interesting) watch I own. Clear case back shows the beautiful hand wound movement (one of the most reliable made). Not as durable as a Rolex, but it looks and feels great-- size is perfect-- and the bracelet/clasp is a work of art.

Quick Reply: OT: Rolex Stainless Daytona