Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help for a fellow German Car Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for a fellow German Car Owner

This forum has helped me on many occasions and I have found the members to know what they are talking about --- I have a request a question has come up on the Mercedes Forum that I'm sure you can help with -- In the spirit of all German technology together can we help

The basic question is how to move the gear lever out of PARK when its stuck their due to a faulty solenoid ?? -- This must be a generic problem that many auto trans owners have solved

Any ideas ??

Firstly, I apologize for bringing this topic up again - I have reviewed all other threads which deal with this issue.

The (disgracefully cheap) plastic catch which connects the solenoid to the release catch in the gear lever assembly is broken, which means that I cannot get the car out of park. I need to remove the assembly, but this entails removing the center console cover. I have the Mercedes WIS workshop manual so I am following correct procedure.

Which brings me to the actual problem. In order to remove the console cover It is absolutely necessary to move the gear lever to N or D. In the P position it is not possible to lift the console cover over the gear stick. But, I cannot get it out of P and there is no manual release such as found on some MB cars.

Is there anyone who knows how MB would overcome this problem? or do they resort to breaking the console or else sawing off the gear lever?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:59 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC on my Saab, there is a manual release button near the shifter. I think I had to use a pointy object to push it in and release the shifter. Perhaps your MB has something similar.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:02 PM
Brave Heart
Racer

Originally Posted by matt777
IIRC on my Saab, there is a manual release button near the shifter. I think I had to use a pointy object to push it in and release the shifter. Perhaps your MB has something similar.
Thanks Matt I'll pass that along
Old 07-29-2008, 08:15 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Which MB?, that might help with the answer... and there's usually a section in most of the vehicle "handbooks" that details these very "emergency gear selection" questions.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Brave Heart
Racer

Originally Posted by matt777
Originally Posted by grmnxtc
Which MB?, that might help with the answer... and there's usually a section in most of the vehicle "handbooks" that details these very "emergency gear selection" questions.
Its a SL500 --- I think he's going to chop off the gearshift to avoid damaging the centre console -- yes really !

Quick Reply: Help for a fellow German Car Owner