Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bumper Cover Warped (sort of long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
blackcat
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool pics (and car!) I hear black is the fastest color too.

thanks for the info!
Old 08-08-2008, 11:35 PM
WarpMan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackcat
... (sorry, no clear pics, just video - it's about a 3 or 4" depression, maybe a quarter of an inch deep).
blackcat,
Can you post the video so we can see what the warping looks like? It's difficult to tell from your description.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:56 AM
blackcat
Racer

Default this time with pics

Disclaimer: Yes, I know the car is filthy, didn't want to risk them accusing me of denting the cover myself - sad that it's come to that

As I mentioned earlier the previous inspector said he didn't see anything wrong the last time he looked at it.

I wanted to make sure the insurance company corrected the report so it doesn't trip me up if I have to go to court.

I went to a different inspection site over the weekend to point the problem out and have them take some more pics:

This is the post heatgun 'repair' cover btw - the new inspector saw the issue immediately.

Looking at Stealth 993's pics, it seems like the gaps between the fender, the hood and the cover are too wide on mine.

I can't seem to find a spec for the gap width - Tech manuals are no help. Any sites or sources of data you guys recommend?

Here are a couple pics of the tow hook as well.

The tow hook doesn't thread in any further than that, btw.

I'm not sure if thats because it's hitting the cover or because there's something screwed up with the threads in the bumper itself.

Can you guys confirm it's screwed up? (i.e. it should thread further in / all the way)

Anyway, should be talking with the shop this week... my wife's doing the negotiating. I feel sorry for them.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:29 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

What's the big white stick for?

Andreas
Old 08-13-2008, 07:14 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

I think he uses the stick to show the warpage on the cover.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by blackcat
Disclaimer: Yes, I know the car is filthy, didn't want to risk them accusing me of denting the cover myself - sad that it's come to that

As I mentioned earlier the previous inspector said he didn't see anything wrong the last time he looked at it.

I wanted to make sure the insurance company corrected the report so it doesn't trip me up if I have to go to court.

I went to a different inspection site over the weekend to point the problem out and have them take some more pics:

This is the post heatgun 'repair' cover btw - the new inspector saw the issue immediately.

Looking at Stealth 993's pics, it seems like the gaps between the fender, the hood and the cover are too wide on mine.

I can't seem to find a spec for the gap width - Tech manuals are no help. Any sites or sources of data you guys recommend?

Here are a couple pics of the tow hook as well.

The tow hook doesn't thread in any further than that, btw.

I'm not sure if thats because it's hitting the cover or because there's something screwed up with the threads in the bumper itself.

Can you guys confirm it's screwed up? (i.e. it should thread further in / all the way)
The gaps look only slightly off like 2-4mm. The warp might be from the bumper not being seated properly. It just need to come off, then put back on. If you do remove the bumper you will be able to tell if the cover is messed up vs installed wrong.

Can't comment on the toe hook, I have never had mine in, but I'll check.

Originally Posted by AOW162435
What's the big white stick for?

Andreas
You can't get past the swirl marks, can ya?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
You can't get past the swirl marks, can ya?
Nope, just an honest question.

Andreas
Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
blackcat
Racer

Yeah, the yardstick is to show the warpage - getting a still pic of it otherwise is difficult.

The inspector nailed the yardstick to a couple of pieces of 2x4 in an 'L' shape so he can just set it down while he moves around and takes pics.

Last edited by blackcat; 08-13-2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Bumper Cover Warped (sort of long)