Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Which Sports Car Would You Own - No Porsches, OK?
Miata - Likely a NB with a Hard Top
8.85%
Corvette - Z06 at most, no ZR1
37.17%
S 2000, with a Hard Top?
15.93%
Lotus
44.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Sports Car Poll - No Porsches Allowed

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:59 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
BMW M Coupe.
Actually the Z3-based M Coupe is one of my favorites, and it fits the utilitarian mode very well. Only issue is that it has a relatively dated suspension design, and it is hard to improve on it with after-market parts. But for street duties, it is very acceptable.

CP
Old 09-04-2008, 02:05 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RS man
...Do not buy Lotus with the Rover K-series engine - buy the Toyota version as the head gasket blows on the Rover version - I know from bitter experience....
The Rover-engined Elise was never federalized for sale in the U.S. A few were imported that had Honda motors installed since those passed U.S. emmissions.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:11 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Pong, I didn't get my Porsche until AFTER I retired - at 55. Anyway, I vote for the miata, but I don't see how you can go down to one car. My P-car can't take more than one person or bring much back from the hardware store, so I got a Tacoma (first) truck. But then I live in Texas.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:42 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
Make sure you fit in one of these before you buy. I have a friend at work who had had two Miatas previously and was about to buy one of these and then tried to sit in it. They did something with the steering wheel that changed how he fit and ruled out this particular model. He went to an S2000 instead.
I'm listed at 6'3" 225 lb. and DDed my '90 (NB) Miata. Fit fine, loved it, and would like it back. But for a DD, the top up visibility is bad with no quarter windows and plastic rear (which I eventually upgraded).

But don't fool yourself with the trunk, Pong. The donut spare really breaks up the useable space. I had more room in the two trunks in my G1 MR2. Never drove one of the later ones, but I expect that it's as fun and rock solid reliable.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:39 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911
Corvette, for sure. Here's my last one.
Beautiful, but I bet it doesn't handle very well compared to a modern car.

Originally Posted by CP
John,

If I went with Miata, it'll likely be a 04/05 Mazdaspeed Miata with a hardtop ($1,200 pre-painted from factory). That is one sweet car. With $4k in mods (engine, suspension) that car will haul. It already came with aero-bits.

My take is either Vette or Miata. Neither the Lotus or the S2000 is adequate for road tripping (no trunk space).

CP
Does Miata have more trunk space than S2000?

Harry
Old 09-04-2008, 06:41 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in LA
The Rover-engined Elise was never federalized for sale in the U.S. A few were imported that had Honda motors installed since those passed U.S. emmissions.
Depending on the engine, it would be a fantastic combination Lotus-Honda. I remember Senna used to drive one of those albeit very much more souped up

Harry
Old 09-04-2008, 06:42 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

CP,

Why not do the Robin Sun and go Ferrari! I have mad days where I think I can sell both my RS and S2000 and put in a little more to buy a F430 but alas F430 will still go down in price whereas RS is likely to go up.
Harry
Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 PM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by 97_993C2
Pong, I didn't get my Porsche until AFTER I retired - at 55. Anyway, I vote for the miata, but I don't see how you can go down to one car. My P-car can't take more than one person or bring much back from the hardware store, so I got a Tacoma (first) truck. But then I live in Texas.
Dan,

My original post talked about down to a 2-car set-up: a 2-seat sports car for me, and either an SUV or a minivan for her.

Chuck,

The Miata actually has rather decent trunk space.

CP
Old 09-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 435 Posts

This car isn't on your list, but I lusted after it since the day it first came out...
To me, there's nothing better in it's price range, though I'm highly biased as I love the car so much.

Pics from Andrew McPherson's great Z8 website:

The $128,000 car had an all aluminum chassis and body and used a 4.9 L (4941 cc) 32 valve V8, that developed 400 hp (294 kW) and 500 Nm (363 ft·lbf). This engine was built by the BMW Motorsport subsidiary and was shared with the E39 M5. The engine was located behind the front axle in order to provide the car with 50/50 weight distribution. The factory claimed a 0 to 100 km/h (0 to 62.5 mph) time of 4.7 seconds; Motor Trend magazine achieved 0 to 60 mph (97 km/h) in 4.2 seconds. Road and Track measured the car's lateral grip at .92. Car and Driver magazine also tested the car and found that it outperformed the contemporary benchmark Ferrari 360 Modena in three important performance categories: acceleration, handling, and braking. As with most BMW products, its top speed was electronically limited to 155 mph (249 km/h); the car's maximum top speed with an unlocked chip was 186 mph (300 km/h).

The Z8 included an innovative use of neon exterior lighting. The tail lights and turn indicators are powered by neon tubes that offer quicker activation than standard lightbulbs and are expected to last for the life of the vehicle. (The vehicle has been erroneously described as the first production vehicle to use neon instead of incandescent bulbs, but the 1995 Ford Explorer and 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII, among others, also featured neon bulbs and predated the introduction of the Z8.)

Every Z8 was shipped with a color-matching metal hardtop with rear defroster. Unlike many accessory hardtops, which are provided for practical rather than stylistic considerations, the Z8 hardtop was designed from the outset to complement the lines of the roadster.

BMW Z8 interiorIn order to keep the interior uncluttered, a number of convenience functions were integrated into multifunction controls. For example, the power windows and mirrors were controlled by a single instrument. Also, the center mounted instrument cluster was canted slightly toward the driver. The displacement of these gauges to the middle of the dash was intended to offer an unimpeded view of the hood and the road ahead.

In order to promote the Z8 to collectors and reinforce media speculation about the Z8's "instant classic" potential, BMW promised that a 50 year stockpile of spare parts would be maintained in order to support the Z8 fleet. Due to the limited volume of Z8 production, all elements of the car were constructed or finished by hand, thereby compounding the importance of ongoing manufacturer support for the type. The price point and production process allowed BMW to offer custom options to interested buyers. A significant number of Z8s with nonstandard paint and interior treatments were produced over the course of the four year production run by BMW Individual, a division of BMW AG.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

i have NB as well as NA. NB is a waste of money. it's heavier and slower than NA. you had NA already, so skip miata.
John,

Is an NB really slower than an NA? I, too, have owned both and find my NB to be far more lively than the '94 1.8L NA I had. Without question, my NB rides far better than my NA, which I had equipped with Koni yellows and Powerflex bump stops (never gain; too harsh).

They say an NA is a better Miata, but an NB is a better car. For a daily driver, the NB is gets my vote, in spirit and in a wallet-based reality.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:58 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=six gun;5770329]
Originally Posted by CP
Hi,

Just curious, if you have gotten the Porsche ownership experience out of your system, what other sports car would you consider. Assume that is mostly a street car with very little track use.

Somebody else makes sports cars ?????
Ferrari, post 1999
Old 09-05-2008, 12:07 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I get the Corvette, sell it, and get a Miata and a WRX STi??
Old 09-05-2008, 12:20 AM
CP
Race Director

Steve,

I agree that the Z8 is a knock-out of a car. The Anthracite Gray with Cream interior is to die for. I had an E39 M5 so I can appreciate the prowess of the Z8. It even came with a hard top.

If I won the lottery in retirement, that definitely would be high on my list.

CP
Old 09-05-2008, 12:31 AM
dlambert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's wrong with A BMW M3 or M6? Or the other German sports coupe Audi.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:47 AM
CP
Race Director

Originally Posted by dlambert
What's wrong with A BMW M3 or M6? Or the other German sports coupe Audi.
I actually do not classify the M3, M6 and M5 as sports cars. They are sporty coupes and sedans. All are far from a real sports car. Main culprit is the excessive weight. Many other factors as well.

IMHO of course.

CP

Quick Reply: Sports Car Poll - No Porsches Allowed