Reminder to check your batteries

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Reminder to check your batteries

This is the 3rd incident I have experienced/witnessed from a factory stock battery blowing up.

1st one was in my own 993, I failed to check the battery compartment's water level for several years, and one day when I went to start the car I heard a loud boom from the front truck area. After I open the front truck I discover smoke from under the carpeting area and the top half of the Porsche factory battery had blown off from the battery. There was no battery acid spill as the battery cells were bone dry.

Just last week this Mercedes next to me in a parking lot experienced the same exact incident. Loud boom when she tried to start the car, and when we open the trunk there was smoke coming from the battery. After lifting the compartment I saw that the top half of the battery was blown off. The battery used in a Mercedes looked exactly the same as the Porsche factory battery.

My conclusion on the cause of the explosion is that the cells were dry, and hydrogen is a by product of the battery being discharged the arcing from the plates caused the hydrogen to ignite.

So check your battery's fluid level periodically.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:35 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another + for my Odyssey.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:53 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Robin,
Do all batteries have access to top off fluids? I don't think mine is factory.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not all batteries have access to cell fill. You can see it fairly easy as there will be screw caps above each fo the cells. Remember ot use distilled water to fill the cells.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:08 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

plus need to remember to attach the vent tube to the battery to prevent the build up of gas as well.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

All really good advice,.....

I would simply add that we've had terrible luck with German batteries over the past 33+ years and avoid them whenever possible. Talk to most shops that work on German cars and they will tell you the same things.

We generally use Interstate batteries (sometimes Optima under special circumstances) with excellent success as they make a durable product that is well supported.

JMHO, of course.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Noted, Robin. Thanks.

Glad to hear Interstate is decent, Steve.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:29 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most here probably know this but many US manufactured batteries (like Interstate) actually have rectangular "panels" that pry off, not screw caps. They may look like they're sealed but in fact the panels will pry off revealing 3 cell opening per side. AFAIK only the Optima type gel batteries are truly sealed.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:27 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1
Both batteries (in my pcar and in the wife's daily-d) are 'maintenance required' as against 'maintenance free'. Both have the 'rectangular' pry-off tops - revealing three circular holes underneath each top.
As part of 'routine maintenance' (i.e. twice a year) I'll pry off the tops, check the electrolyte levels and refill as necessary. I HAVE found that during the summer months (which stands to reason) the levels DO drop as the electrolyte does evaporate more because it's continually 'warm' (during the summer months.) I also check the levels BEFORE and AFTER I charge the batteries ...usually during the winter-time.
Having the p-car battery 'out of sight' in the trunk - 'neath the carpeting -- can often lead to 'out of sight - out of mind' --- but we really gotta periodically check this thing otherwise...

Gerry
Old 09-05-2008, 09:44 PM
dlambert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Phoenix and if you don't want to maintain your battery monthly during the 6 months of summer buy a gel cell battery like optima, brail or odessy. otherwise be prepared to add distilled water every couple of months.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hpuck
plus need to remember to attach the vent tube to the battery to prevent the build up of gas as well.

+1

Sigh mine wasn't vented correctly and I didn't think to check... When I removed the carpet to install my Motons I found trouble. It's an absolute shame to see the bottom of a trunk for a car with 18k miles look like mine does now...

Went to the Odyssey925 with a Rennline mount.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:28 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 338 Posts

My wife had one of the original Audi 5000s with the battery under the rear seat and then vent tube through the floor. I was having a muffler replaced and the guy was using a torch to remove the old rusted clamp. He didn't realize that the vent pipe was there, waved the lit torch past it as he went to cut and BAM!...Blew the battery up, blew the seat cushion up in the air and blew acid all over the rear interior of the passenger compartment...What a mess.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Most here probably know this but many US manufactured batteries (like Interstate) actually have rectangular "panels" that pry off, not screw caps. They may look like they're sealed but in fact the panels will pry off revealing 3 cell opening per side. AFAIK only the Optima type gel batteries are truly sealed.
+2.

My battery (Interstate) doesn't seem to be holding it's charge quite as well these days so I'll be pulling it out soon to check the level.

However since the car is also due for registration in the next month or so I'll get the emissions test done before I pull the battery (emissions test results are good for 90 days in TN). This way I won't have to rush to get the OBDII codes set, I can take my time and see if they will set during regular driving (as a test). I have used the BMW Drive Cycle to set codes twice in the past on this car and it worked just fine so that will be my backup if I need to get them set quickly for any reason.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

If you need to change out a battery, one of the tricks I use to maintain memory in these cars is to plug a 9v battery into the cigarette lighter before you pull the battery clamps.

This really helps maintain those nasty OBD-II Readiness codes from being erased as well as having to perform MAF adaptation,...
Old 09-06-2008, 10:21 PM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Steve, this is the danger of posting your always helpful info: (a dumba$$ like me might ask a stupid question ). What are you referring to about having to perform MAF adaptation ?

Quick Reply: Reminder to check your batteries