Sponsored by: DashLynx

To cab or not to cab?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 05:03 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default To cab or not to cab?

I thought I was pretty settled on a coupe for my first 993, but there seems to be a good selection of nice cabs for sale in my area, and now I'm wondering if I should consider going that route. I live in California so I'd be able to do a lot of top-down driving, but I've got a few concerns:

1) Maintenance issues with the soft top

2) I am an avid tennis player and already get quite a bit of sun on my skin. Do I want even more when I'm driving? I use plenty of sunscreen when I'm out, but still...

3) Will a cab feel noticeably 'flexy' compared to a coupe?

4) Are the blind spots with the top up pretty bad?

5) Not sure I love the look of the car with the top up. The lines of the coupe seem more appealing, but the cab is starting to grow on me.

Any pros/cons I'm missing? As I list the cons here I'm thinking I may be answering my own question, but other opinions are welcome
Old 10-14-2008, 05:09 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=logan2z;5900538]I thought I was pretty settled on a coupe for my first 993, but there seems to be a good selection of nice cabs for sale in my area, and now I'm wondering if I should consider going that route. I live in California so I'd be able to do a lot of top-down driving, but I've got a few concerns:

1) Maintenance issues with the soft top
You need to make sure that the motors were replaced under warranty. Additionally, a wash and spray with RAGGTOP is all you need.

2) I am an avid tennis player and already get quite a bit of sun on my skin. Do I want even more when I'm driving? I use plenty of sunscreen when I'm out, but still...
That is up to you. You will get more sun than in a coupe

3) Will a cab feel noticeably 'flexy' compared to a coupe?
Yes. But if you add the bar it will go a long way in dealing with the issue.

4) Are the blind spots with the top up pretty bad?
Nope

5) Not sure I love the look of the car with the top up. The lines of the coupe seem more appealing, but the cab is starting to grow on me.
I love it, but I am biased.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Vote for cab here. Biased as well.

Mike
Old 10-14-2008, 05:32 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

I love my cab, but if I ultimately sell her soon, my next one will likely be a coupe or targa.

I'd actually say the blind spots with the top up are pretty bad. that small window in the back, that's often all scratched up, is difficult to see much out of. I'm always nervous I'll change lanes into a motorcycle or something.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:33 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Couple looks better (more classic) in 993 version IMO.

And, even the coupe feels very "open" with the windows down and the sun roof open.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:33 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Welllllllllll---- I just had to replace one of the front motors that seal the top-$650 for aftermarket (Porsche wanted $1100.) Having said that it was fun to run the 150miles home with the top down in perfect weather. My car is lowered and uses stiff springs. I also put a front cross member over the struts in the trunk so if anything it may be a little too stiff, but it does great in autoX. I did put two small rectangular convex mirrors on the mirrors to account for the blind spot when i lived in Phoenix. No problems at all after that. I definitely prefer the look of the coupe as compared to a cab with the top up, but we get our cabs for other reasons. As to the tennis and sun, I am a cyclist and just keep a high SPF sunscreen in the car for times when I need it-like last Friday.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:01 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Coupe.......many advantages vs Cab...........ZP44
Old 10-14-2008, 06:05 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

1. Yes there are maintenance issues. Things can break (and controllers can fail), and the tops do get worn over time due to how they fold.

3. I didn't think my cab felt particularly "flexy".

4. Blind spots are no problem for a cab.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:37 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my cab (shocker). I like the look of the coupe over the cab when the top is up, but I feel with the top down and boot installed the cab looks awesome.

Logic says the coupe is stiffer, but I think you would really have to be taking the car to the extreme from a driving standpoint to realize the weaknesses of not having a fixed roof.

Blindspot is there, but I don't drive with the top up much......you just have to be more careful when changing lanes.

Are you going to use the car daily? I ask because I don't, my car comes out on Fridays, weekends, etc. so the top is always down. If I drove the car daily I think I would lean towards the coupe. You can open the sunroof with the touch of a button, the interior stays MUCH cleaner from a lack of dust and pollen, no blind spots, quieter on the road (better bluetooth capabilities) and no potential soft top issues.

If your 993 won't be driven daily, I think the cabs are great fun especially in Southern CA. A little sunblock and or a hat keep you from getting fried while driving. The windscreen is great for on the freeway and when the wife is in the car (windows up, windscreen up, heat on = no complaining from long-haired rightseater.) Ultimately, how much do you like driving a convertible? A lot of guys feel they are only for chicks, that only real men drive coupes. I say whatever to that. I get a lot of enjoyment from cruising PCH with the top folded.

Good luck on your search, I think you'll be happy with whichever you choose.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:57 PM
jnnking
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cabs are great and I'm not biased. :-)

I'm in Chicago my weather isn't weather isn't as good as yours but I LOVE driving with the top down. Sure there are drawbacks but nothing that is a dealer killer. Plus, the sound of the engine with the top down,unbeatable!!

Go for it!!
Old 10-14-2008, 07:01 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you live in California, you need a Cab.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:05 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you don't really want a cab but are considering one because of availability.
So... I wouldn't buy one just because there are more to choose from. Get what you really want. My .02c
Old 10-14-2008, 07:09 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

If you don't _want_ a cab, don't buy a cab.

I've had convertibles for teh past 10 years and can not imagine my life without at least one (have two now). But to each his own. Cabs, especially German cabs with plastic rear windows and electric operation, have their drawbacks and cost more in the long run. So if you don't _want_ one...
Old 10-14-2008, 07:10 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did they even made 993 coupes ?

Cheers Guy
Old 10-14-2008, 08:01 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
Coupe.......many advantages vs Cab...........ZP44
One Fall Day or one Spring Day with the top down totally wipes out any apparent advantages.

Even with the hassles I have gone there this year with the Cab top i would do it again.

As for flexibility, a Strut bar would help.

The only thing a coupe is better for is racing or Autocrossing.

I also get lots more play from cuties in the Cab.

Quick Reply: To cab or not to cab?