Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

For those who appreciate a really well detailed 993...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:27 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow. Just ... wow.

Just when I think I'm so clever, with my PC and multiple polishes and waxes, something like this comes along. I feel like I should go out and apologize to my car for not giving it this kind of treatment.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:12 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Rome awesome dude, PM me re; costs... do you think if I provided airfare he would come to the LPacific Northwest to work his magic?
Old 10-31-2008, 12:19 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a beautiful color combination. The paint is stunning.
chuck
Old 10-31-2008, 12:31 AM
KeithR3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

amazing! Have you thought about getting a clear bra?
Old 10-31-2008, 09:33 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Your car need a good detail!
Ya know, when I brought the car in I was thinking to myself that it looked pretty darn good...and I was a little skeptical about how much a detail could improve it.

But, when you see the paint under the halogen lights, and the close up photos inthe bright sun light, you really can how extensive the swirls and fine scratches are.

These blemishes really detract from the depth and reflective character of the paint and make the car look much more dull than it did when it sat new on the show room floor. I have to say, there is a pretty big difference once the paint/finish is "corrected."

So guys, beware if you put your cars under the bright lights or do close up photos of the paint in bright sun light. You will definitely want to get this job done.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Wow, Rome! Could you PM me the details, no pun intended, on the cost as well as their contact info? My car has some light swirl marks, which are made more obvious by the Guards red paint. I have a random orbital, but don't have much experience with it and don't trust myself on the Porsche. Thanks!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mcpiaseczny
Wow! What was used on the seats?
It's just a re-dye, either sprayed, or "painted" on. There are shops in the PNW that do a good job.

Originally Posted by cab&coupe
Rome awesome dude, PM me re; costs... do you think if I provided airfare he would come to the LPacific Northwest to work his magic?
Hay, I meet you on the PCA Wine tour, I was in the Silver 993, that you passed on the way to the winery.

We have a guy in the area that does that kind of work.

Originally Posted by rome
Ya know, when I brought the car in I was thinking to myself that it looked pretty darn good...and I was a little skeptical about how much a detail could improve it.

But, when you see the paint under the halogen lights, and the close up photos inthe bright sun light, you really can how extensive the swirls and fine scratches are.

These blemishes really detract from the depth and reflective character of the paint and make the car look much more dull than it did when it sat new on the show room floor. I have to say, there is a pretty big difference once the paint/finish is "corrected."

So guys, beware if you put your cars under the bright lights or do close up photos of the paint in bright sun light. You will definitely want to get this job done.

Yea, you are preaching to the quire. Swirl marks are the DEVIL! It's funny when we do PCA stuff. Most of their cars are heavily swirled. When we do a tour, some will dry wipe the cars off @ rest stops to keep the shinny, not knowing, that they are doing a lot of damage to the paint. And then always comment on how clean & shinny my car is. I tell them it's not hard, just takes some time & money. I'm lucky, that I'm a Master Detailer, & can do all the work my self.

Of course people then ask how much money would a good detailer charge to get their car to look like mine, & I tell them over $1000. The response is, I'll just keep doing it my self. If they just pay to have it done, it's much easier to maintain, & not as much work the next time it's detailed so it's cheaper.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:21 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rome

These blemishes really detract from the depth and reflective character of the paint and make the car look much more dull than it did when it sat new on the show room floor.
Your car looks better than when it rolled off the showroom floor. In fact, the last time it looked that good is when the body left the paint shop at the factory. I'm not ****, but my 997 looked so terrible when I took delivery that I made the dealer clean it up again - and that car was silver!
Old 10-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Rickrack
Intermediate

Hi everyone! I thought I would chime in and introduce myself...

First, I would like you all to know that Rome is a wonderful person and a true pleasure to deal with. I feel lucky to have worked on his baby for him and bring the car back to like-new condition again. He is lucky to own such a beautiful car.

Thanks for the kind words Rome!

For those of you who are curious about the seat repair, I have an excellent interior repair person that does the work for me, so I can't take all the credit. The factory interior color can be matched perfectly and make it look like new. As with anything, it doesn't last forever, but neither does the factory seats. They will last for quite a while, especially if the car is not driven often. Even if you get it re-done every 2 years, it is worth it. I have a lot of Ferrari, Porsche and Corvette customers that have this done every 2 or 3 years, because they are famous for the bolsters wearing out quickly. Any areas that are torn are repaired and filled before the application of multiple coats of dye for long-lasting results.

I do not want to "spam" the board, but feel free to PM me with any questions or get in touch with Rome for my contact info.

Thanks to everyone for all of the really nice comments!

~Rick
Old 10-31-2008, 04:28 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the kind words fellas.

We're all lucky to own and preserve these really cool 993's.
Old 10-31-2008, 04:41 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Very nice car and detail. Just awesome.
I have been doing my own polishing and it really is hard work, time consuming, and requires much experience.
I am another who is really blown away by the seats. After seeing this, it is now a top priority for me. Anyone who knows a good leather seat restorer in Portland, let me know.
Stealth 993, you're not too far ;-)
Old 10-31-2008, 10:40 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Hay, I meet you on the PCA Wine tour, I was in the Silver 993, that you passed on the way to the winery.
Hey Stealth... I've seen your posts and often thought that silver 993 looked awefully familar What a beaty... the wine tour is always a great event for our area. Unfortunately the 928 wouldn't let me get by to try and give chase to my two friends in the 997's, slick move for him to cut you off on the freeway entrance Not always able to make it to this event due to conflicts in schedules. Let me know if you ever get over to the east side. I would be interested in getting your input as to who over on the west side you would recommend.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:17 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow+1

Quick Reply: For those who appreciate a really well detailed 993...