Desperate for help with speedo needle removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 05:46 PM
lowblow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Desperate for help with speedo needle removal

All-

I am stuck in the middle of replacing my odometer gears in a 96' 993 speedo. I have carefully followed the P-car directions that seem to be respected by the majority of those that have used them, but I CANNOT remove the needle. I have been twisting it as described while applying upward pressure but it will not budge. I am very afraid that I will break it.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am extremely frustrated.

TIA
Mike
Old 11-16-2008, 08:49 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I did it 4 weeks ago and it took me a while, too. Just follow the procedure: turn and pull and increase the "force" slightly. At some point, it will pop off. I agree: It is a little bit scary and I was happy when I got it off without destroying it.

Erik
Old 11-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

A trick some have successfully used to remove gauge needles is to slide the tines of a dinner fork under the needle hub .... and pull straight upwards: use your best silverware - a Porsche deserves it
Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 AM
William D
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried replacing the gears without removing the needle? I was able to do it that way some time ago as was suggested by another rennlister.
Bill Z
Old 11-17-2008, 03:27 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I left my needle on and the geometry to remove the gear worked out. It can be done. Have plenty of patience and a cold beer for when you are finished. I'd suggest not putting the glass back on until you give it a test drive and make sure it works. From what I saw on mine and what I've heard from others it is not uncommon for the odometer to be a little "notchy" with the replacement gear.

Quick Reply: Desperate for help with speedo needle removal