Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:32 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Smile The dreaded check strap click

Dear Rennlisters,
The 993 I have encountered the dreaded check strap click from a loose pillar mounting point snapping against the pillar slot as the keeper passes over the indent. Over the last few months it came completely loose inside the door pillar.

I attempted to tack it in position on the pillar face with a wire welder. The check strap forces were so great that the weld cracked shortly after the repair even with a smoother replacement check strap installed. The pillar mounting point is really a steel strut that is welded in four places inside the A pillar. I ended up having my local Porsche Approved body shop do the proper fix. They ordered a new a pillar from the dealer, cut a 6 inch section out of the middle of the pillar and weld replaced the failed pivot area on the car. It is interesting to note that the factory replacement part had an additional fifth weld point across the bottom of the pivot to the exterior of the pillar face. It also has a tack welded reinforcing plate around the slot on the inside.
I live in Richmond, VA. The work was done by Burleigh’s Body Shop here in Richmond. Nicely executed work by Burleigh’s.

The fix looks like there was never any body work done.

Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 12-08-2008 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Add a picture
Old 12-07-2008, 06:07 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Dear Rennlisters,
The 993 I have encountered the dreaded check strap click from a loose pillar mounting point snapping against the pillar slot as the keeper passes over the indent. Over the last few months it came completely loose inside the door pillar.

I attempted to tack it in position on the pillar face with a wire welder. The check strap forces were so great that the weld cracked shortly after the repair even with a smoother replacement check strap installed. The pillar mounting point is really a steel strut that is welded in four places inside the A pillar. I ended up having my local Porsche Approved body shop do the proper fix. They ordered a new a pillar from the dealer, cut a 6 inch section out of the middle of the pillar and weld replaced the failed pivot area on the car. It is interesting to note that the factory replacement part had an additional fifth weld point across the bottom of the pivot to the exterior of the pillar face. It also has a tack welded reinforcing plate around the slot on the inside.
I live in Richmond, VA. The work was done by Burleigh’s Body Shop here in Richmond. Nicely executed work by Burleigh’s.
Andy
Andy,
Interesting. Can you post some pics of the repaired area?

Andreas
Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

BTW, does this problem exist on '95 cars? I don't think I have check straps on mine at all.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:34 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

'95's have them. Small metal slider that limits the door swinging all the way into the front fender.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:49 PM
henkinc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This soumds like a fairly substantial job. What did it cost and how does it look from the driver's seat after all this welding occurs?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:22 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by henkinc
This soumds like a fairly substantial job. What did it cost and how does it look from the driver's seat after all this welding occurs?
I think the photo shows the finished product as viewed from the driver's seat.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine on the passenger side let go too. I'm having it repaired this week, although from the way the fix was described to me it's not going to be as extensive a fix as Andy's. I'm having it done with a couple other things and I was quoted $300 for the welding, paint, and re-galvanizing the rear of the pillar. If I remember I'll try and grab a couple of before shots tomorrow and post after I get the car back next week.

Andy, looks like they did an excellent job on your car.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:14 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine had the repair done but was done crappy. Watch their work.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:55 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Smile

As far as I know all Carreras to 993 have this issue.
My 86 had the same issue but I chose to not fix it.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:03 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Smile

Originally Posted by henkinc
It looked like new when done- no indication of a repair. Cost was about $900 including part.
The repair was done as the factory suggests. I believe if the strut is just rewelded to the “A” pillar the sheet metal surrounding the welds will soften up and may fail later. I tried a minimally invasive repair at home using my wire welder. The problem was that if enough heat is applied by to cause a good weld it overheats the sheet metal and weakens the metal surrounding the weld. This is not to say an expert welder may have better luck with a less invasive solution.

Andy
Old 12-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My 92 had the same issue and I had a Porsche restoration shop fix it. They cut a hole in the backside of the pillar, welded the part back to the pillar and welded the hole shut again. No issues and unless the fender is removed and the pillar inspected very closely, you can't tell that it was fixed. Cost about $500 to have repaired. If you don't repair it, the door will overstroke and bend the door which will cause it to not line up with the fender.

Quick Reply: The dreaded check strap click