Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

One fewer selling claim for my 993... (and a tire question)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One fewer selling claim for my 993... (and a tire question)

I blew "Never Been Tracked" this past fall. Darn it. I enjoyed the C4S completely.

Now I lost the "Never Seen Snow" thing!
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Smiles
Pro

Now to the tire question.

I spent some time on side streets that weren't salted, and some time in wet leaves. Accelerating hard and braking hard. The car is wearing Bridgestone Potenza S-02 A tires, Porsche rated N3. They handled the nasty stuff quite well.

I'm not sure it was sloppy enough to tell. My daily driver is a 99 BMW 540i 6-speed with Nokian all-season tires, which I think are great. If you'd like to buy a nice BMW, PM me. It's cosmetics are far from perfect, but I'll sell a well maintained car cheap, mostly because the 993 did so well today.

Has anyone else in snowy locations kept the Bridgestone Potenza S-02s in all seasons? I had assumed I would need snow tires, but after today, I think I can do without.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:56 PM
dlambert
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A C4 is a great all weather ride but do yourself a favor and buy an extra set of wheels and snow tires otherwise you may be headed for body work.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:06 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Matt, could you send along the vitals on the E39? I'm slowly looking for a 4-door car.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Smiles
Pro

Originally Posted by dlambert
A C4 is a great all weather ride but do yourself a favor and buy an extra set of wheels and snow tires otherwise you may be headed for body work.
I'm laughing at myself.

When I first saw your post, I thought "What does a guy in AZ know about snow?"

And then your bodywork comment was the only thing going through my mind as I was sliding sidways this morning. That, and "This will be expensive."

Thankfully, I didn't hit anything.

You're absolutely right.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no such thing as an all-season tire
Old 12-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get some inexpensive aftermarket wheels from Tire Rack and some proper winter tires and you will save your nice factory wheels while enjoying the cold weather performance along with added safety. Snow isn't the only issue in winter. Summer tires become hard in low temps, compromising their performance and safety.

"All season" tires are really No Season tires, giving you compromised performance in all seasons.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:17 AM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt:

I just did a drive from NJ to MI on 80 the Sunday after Thanksgiving in extremely icy and slushy conditions. Just before the trip I had purchased a used set of oem wheels and blizzaks installed as result of advice received here. I doubt whether I would have been able to keep the car on the road with high performance tires. The car handled quite well in the icy conditions with plenty of traction. The only thing I noticed was that because the car is relatively light it tends to jump around some if you are dealing with slush piled up on the road. Definitely would recommend the blizzaks. By the way they didn't make any snow tire noise which is one of the things I was concerned about.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:32 AM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

2nd on the Blizzaks. I have them on mine and they handle the crappy stuff very well.

Quick Reply: One fewer selling claim for my 993... (and a tire question)