993 Forum 1995-1998

Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 09:56 PM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Replacement

I have 67K on my 993. The clutch seems very high so I suspect replacement is somewhere around the corner. I'm going to try to baby it as much as possible and get by as long as I can. But I'm doing my homework now.

The local shop I've worked with for some time and do trust quotes the following:

------------

Clutch replacement on your 993; for parts, labor and tax, runs about $2300. Book time on the labor is just under 15 hours, the clutch kit (friction plate, pressure plate, release bearing and all applicable clips) is around $900 (this is a Sachs unit). All in all, this job would take about 2 days to complete, as engine/transmission removal are necessary to replace the clutch.

--------

Does this sound about right?

many thanks,

JC
Old 01-27-2009, 11:49 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

That's in the ballpark ($2000 to $3000 max). I just spent a while looking for a place in Los Angeles. Here is a link to that recent thread.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:31 AM
Brad '95 C4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 61k and thought I needed a clutch. Turns out replacing the clutch master and slave cylinder did the trick. Bonus: those two parts were about $200 from Steve Weiner, Rennsport Systems in Portland. Now feels like almost new.

This was diagnosed by a buddy of mine who pumped clutch at different rolling speeds, and then would reengage it. He noticed it would engage at different points, which indicated a fluid issue.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:34 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had mine done yet but from what I have seen, the clutch itself doesn't cost $900 unless you include a new flywheel which might run it up even further. Perhaps they have included a clutch slave cylinder and other misc. parts? Also, some have replaced the clutch without engine removal saving time. I suppose it will vary from shop to shop and depends if other work is being done.

ps I bought a new clutch slave cylinder in the hopes that this solves my shifting issue.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
I haven't had mine done yet but from what I have seen, the clutch itself doesn't cost $900 unless you include a new flywheel which might run it up even further. Perhaps they have included a clutch slave cylinder and other misc. parts? Also, some have replaced the clutch without engine removal saving time. I suppose it will vary from shop to shop and depends if other work is being done.

ps I bought a new clutch slave cylinder in the hopes that this solves my shifting issue.

The clutch repair kit is $800-$900 not including flywheel (DMF). Add another ~$1100 for the flywheel.

For around $1400 you can go LWF which includes all of what you'll need save for extras such as the slave, feed line and T/O fork bushings and bearings.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

If it's not slipping, don't worry about it.

Usually, if you are going up a hill, & the RPM's go up, but speed doesn't you need a new clutch. You might just need to bleed the clutch, or adjust the pedal.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:47 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts

Jclanin - since you have a 96 I would highly recommend going with the RS clutch and the necessary other hardware to make it work. The price will be a little higher but the enjoyment factor will totally outweigh the expense. I did this to my 97 and the difference is really great. In my opinion this is the way the car should have come from the factory. If you can, find someone near you who has had this done to their car and take a test ride - it will be worth you time and effort.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:57 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by chris walrod
The clutch repair kit is $800-$900 not including flywheel (DMF)...
I guess I'll update my Porsche budget once again

Is replacement of the DMF a must do or can it ever be reused?
Old 01-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Matt,

Given the failure rate of the DMF due to delamination, I would never reinstall one that had over 60K on it since I would likely have to eat the labor to go back in and replace it.

JMHO, of course
Old 01-28-2009, 08:03 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
If it's not slipping, don't worry about it.

Usually, if you are going up a hill, & the RPM's go up, but speed doesn't you need a new clutch. You might just need to bleed the clutch, or adjust the pedal.
I'll show my ignorance again today... how do you adjust the pedal?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
I'll show my ignorance again today... how do you adjust the pedal?
LOL, you remove the floor mat, then the other little mat under the peddles. After that remove the piece of wood, up, wood.

Put a light in there, & you will see the clutch linkage, you can shorten it, or make it longer.

On my C4S, I put all the peddles, so I can heal toe, & still get the clutch when I'm on the brakes. Makes it much nicer to drive at speeds.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

There is also a tension screw you can fiddle with in the pedal cluster that allows you to set the preload on the pedal spring...that can change the feel as well. You can play with that as well, if it does not work out just screw it back to where it was (i.e. keep track of how many turns you adjusted it by).

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-28-2009, 08:55 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
LOL, you remove the floor mat, then the other little mat under the peddles. After that remove the piece of wood, up, wood.

Put a light in there, & you will see the clutch linkage, you can shorten it, or make it longer.

On my C4S, I put all the peddles, so I can heal toe, & still get the clutch when I'm on the brakes. Makes it much nicer to drive at speeds.

Ok... but that just adjusts the height of the pedal itself... doesn't change where it engages, so if it engages "high", it will still engage high, but the pedal itself will be lower. I was thinking someone was saying you could adjust the clutch to change the engagement point.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no visual inspection or measurement you can take to know how much life is remaining on your clutch (like you can on a 968) correct?
Old 01-29-2009, 05:17 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wait, my clutch doesn't slip on hills, only under hard acceleration upshifting. Could my clutch master and slave cylinder be the culprit? Or is that wishful thinking? I have 93K.

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement