Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

**-- NY Tri-State Spring Drive '09 for Charity --**

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:54 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default **-- NY Tri-State Spring Drive '09 for Charity --** Registration Now Open!

Hey guys,

Doesn't it seem like the Winter Days are never ending? We get a little tease of Spring-like weather and then back down to freezing temps again. Add a little snow and ice to that and you get a lot of time on Rennlist (not that it's a bad thing). At least this gives us time to prepare our cars for the fun months!

This leads me to our Annual Spring Run, and what a doozy we have in store for everyone. We have been invited once again with the group that organized the Monticello event to a truly unique experience. This time we will be benefitting ALS (via the BMWCCA) and the Disabled American Veterans. This run will be quite different than what we have previously done before. We will be driving up to Mt. Equinox in Vermont where lunch and a closed mountain road awaits us. We will be driving up Mt. Equinox via Skyline Drive and then back down for some more spirited runs (read: safe & responsible) after lunch. Skyline Drive is a private 5.2 mile paved mountain road with a dozen switchbacks as it winds up Mt. Equinox. Interested yet?

We have learned from prior events that everyone has different expectations as far as the “speeds” of the event. Some people are out for “sightseeing and cruising”. Others are out for a more “spirited” drive. In order to accommodate both groups, and everyone in between, we could have everyone go up the mountain once before lunch and then, for those that wish to, they could go up again after lunch. For these spirited runs we would send cars off at intervals so everyone gets a clear road all the way up. If people want to do a lead/ follow that could also be arranged. In any case this is not a race!! Just an opportunity for those that care to exercise their cars. This is also a great opportunity for folks that are usually too far for our drives and who are closer to Vermont.

NY Tri-State Participants - From the Tri-State, it will be around a 3-hr drive (one-way) to Mt. Equinox. We realize that it is a bit further than we have done in the past, but how often do we get to drive on mountain roads that will be closed just for us?!
Saturday: Bob ('Bob in NY') aka 'Backroad Extraordinaire' will be leading us on a leisurely drive up to Mt. Equinox. Enjoy the Greater Manchester area at your leisure, maybe meet for a informal car show, maybe dinner, pretty much the day is your's.
Sunday: Around 10am - Short drive to Mt. Equinox, head up the mountain to take in the views and lunch. The event would be over anytime between 1:00 and 3:00 depending on your interest in the afternoon rides. At this point, you can choose to drive back home as a group or individually.
* Logistics of the drive up from the Tri-State area will be determined as we get closer to the event date.

The dates of the event will be the weekend of May 16th-17th. The minimum donation per car will be $25 per car. Mt Equinox charges $12 for car and driver plus $2 per passenger. The second run would be $8 for car and driver plus $2 per passenger. Lunch will be $10/pp.

We realize that committing the whole day or two to an event will be difficult for some, but we think it will be a fun event for a great cause. So if you can muster some time from the weekend, please join us! You may also choose to join us for just one day's activities as long as we know in advance and you register. However, to keep things simple it is preferable if you can make both days.

Here are the final details of the event:

Accommodations
The host hotel is the Inn at Willow Pond (www.innatwillowpond.com). They have 40 rooms at the discounted rates and 2nd night free (Fri or Sun) and will handle any overflow at comparable Inns close by. All rooms include a continental breakfast. They will also be hosting a BBQ on Saturday evening for us for a nominal fee. They also have a large lot that will be big enough to host an informal car show. Please see booking information and rates in the attached registration form.

Registration forms, Schedule of Events, and Raffle Forms
Registration forms and Schedule of Events: Are all attached below in the form. Respective costs for hotel, food, donation, and drive are noted.
Raffle: An extremely generous Rennlister has offered an all-day guest pass to the Monticello Motorclub (MMC) to a very lucky raffle winner! The prize is valued at $2,500! As always, all raffle proceeds will go towards the respective charities. So get your tickets! You have to be in it to win it!!

**Registration deadline will be May 1st. Get those registration forms in!**

Please feel free to PM myself or Bob 'Bob in NY' if there are any questions. Thanks!

Last edited by Arrwin; 06-14-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:25 PM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a great idea, hopefully I can finally make it to one of these.

My preference would be 2 days.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:27 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

I like the idea Arrwin, thanks for setting it up. I vote for a 1-day trip.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
I like the idea Arrwin, thanks for setting it up. I vote for a 1-day trip.
I don't deserve the credit...I'm merely the messenger. Keep the votes coming!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:37 PM
jasvoboda
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to join. One day is great.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:46 PM
993Coupe
Instructor

Thanks, Arrwin!! I'm totally in either way (one day or 2). My vote would be for a one day run.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

Why not plan for a one-day trip and let a sub-group form for a 2-day trip?

Thanks for setting up what I am sure will be another memorable charity run!

Trending Topics

Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm in for the 2 day, I can plan a nice route up on Saturday for those interested in the long way to Vt!!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
I don't deserve the credit...I'm merely the messenger. Keep the votes coming!
You know what I mean

Couple quick questions - is there a rain date? And if it's a 1-day trip, will it be Saturday or Sunday? I'm asking because the roads get pretty busy on Sunday afternoon/early evenings going back into the city.

Thanks again!

PS: Like your new avatar Bob, can't wait to see the new car. Congrats!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:01 PM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interested in this and on the fence regarding the one or two days.

Lots of logistics with children and wives, etc.

Either way, I'll most likely be there and hopefully I'll have something new to showcase as well. Maybe...

Thanks Arrwin...
Old 02-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Leslie 928 S2
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Count us in for 2 cars, carrying 2 adults and 2 children!

Thank you Arrwin, for setting this up!

Edit: we vote for one day!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Looks like there is a lot of interest already. I made a little typo regarding the "minimum donation" amount. It is $25 per car not per person. I updated it on the original post as well.

Originally Posted by ilko
Couple quick questions - is there a rain date? And if it's a 1-day trip, will it be Saturday or Sunday?
No rain date yet, but will keep everyone posted. If it's a 1 day trip, the day has not been confirmed. As of now, the Mt. Equinox folks are saving both days for us.

Thanks again guys!
Old 02-25-2009, 05:04 PM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Arrwin,
I've been on that road before and it is very cool. I would go for either a 1 or 2 day event. No DE's or AutoX's that weekend - so far so good.
Tom
Old 02-25-2009, 06:02 PM
sptschoice
Pro

Where is the starting point from nyc
Old 02-25-2009, 06:17 PM
steveespo
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested. 1 Day.

Quick Reply: **-- NY Tri-State Spring Drive '09 for Charity --**