Sponsored by: DashLynx

Insurance Company Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 03:11 PM
jwdwight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance Company Recommendation

Since my collection of P-cars is growing, I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an insurance company. I have everything currently insured with USAA and have no complaints with them whatsoever....but I am wondering if I can do better with a company that specializes in high end cars. Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in the process of changing from AIG to another party--shopping. Im not pleased about the govt bail out and the millions in bonus paid out after tax payers handed AIG billions. Im not boycotting AIG but rather just being smart consumer and taking my business elsewhere.

Im exploring Hagerty with my C4 and currenty have my 77 Bronco insured with them.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by jwdwight
Since my collection of P-cars is growing, I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for an insurance company. I have everything currently insured with USAA and have no complaints with them whatsoever....but I am wondering if I can do better with a company that specializes in high end cars. Thanks in advance for the advice!
There are several agents who specialize in high end cars that aren't daily drivers. One agent is Leland West. I used them with the 993tt and was very happy with them. They wouldn't, however, insure the CGT unless I went to Germany to take a driving class. I moved both cars to an agency here in Dallas called Hub International.

PM me if you want contact names.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
They wouldn't, however, insure the CGT unless I went to Germany to take a driving class. I moved both cars to an agency here in Dallas called Hub International.
Sounds like a missed opportunity ('but dear, I have to go to Germany for this driving class or we won't have any insurance' would be how I would phrase it).
Old 03-18-2009, 03:41 PM
jwdwight
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Im in the process of changing from AIG to another party--shopping. Im not pleased about the govt bail out and the millions in bonus paid out after tax payers handed AIG billions. Im not boycotting AIG but rather just being smart consumer and taking my business elsewhere.
I agree completely. I would not spend a penny with AIG....well that may not be true as we the tax payers have already given them $180 billion...uuugggghhhh.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:42 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a variety of cars insured by Hagerty. There are limitations - can't be a DD, have to be in a locked garage, limited mileage, etc. - but it's much cheaper than a mass insurer since they bundle the liability and use agreed value so it minimizes the discussion about what the car is worth if you have a claim. I've had no direct experience with claims (fortunately) but I have heard they are good in that regard. YMMV.

That said I've also heard great things about USAA.

No affiliation, blah, blah....
Old 03-18-2009, 03:44 PM
jwdwight
Instructor

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Sounds like a missed opportunity ('but dear, I have to go to Germany for this driving class or we won't have any insurance' would be how I would phrase it).
I like how you think....
Old 03-18-2009, 03:45 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

Try Heacock Classic out of Lakeland, FL and Burns, TN. Ford Heacock started Vntage Motorsports magazine and is a real enthusiast. They normally insure older collectibles but might have something for you if on a limited use/mileage basis.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:52 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

It's tough to do better than USAA, they've been very good to me.

My father-in-law uses Chubb and they are also very good.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:58 PM
jwdwight
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I have a variety of cars insured by Hagerty. There are limitations - can't be a DD, have to be in a locked garage, limited mileage, etc. - but it's much cheaper than a mass insurer since they bundle the liability and use agreed value so it minimizes the discussion about what the car is worth if you have a claim. I've had no direct experience with claims (fortunately) but I have heard they are good in that regard. YMMV.

That said I've also heard great things about USAA.

No affiliation, blah, blah....
Thanks for the recommendation. I really want to stay with USAA because they are absolutely the best and I have been with them for 24 years. They insured my personal house (but the policy was written by Chubb because it was over USAA's inhouse limit) and I have a major fire about a year and a half ago. They were unbelievable and rebuilt my house tomy 110% satisfaction. BUT, USAA says that if the vehicle is a total loss, they will use the NADA book value. I checked online and NADA lists the Clean Retail of a '98 C4S at $26,225. I would buy 12 of them at that price. So, I don't want to end up in a fight over value if something did happen.

Last edited by jwdwight; 03-18-2009 at 04:11 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jwdwight
I like how you think....
I have had a lot of practice.
The best method is to get the sons involved (easier when they were younger) and then we all go see Mom. That's how we got the first track car (though we didn't have to; I do find life is easier, though, when the wife is on board).
You could try 'it's cheaper than a mistress' but I can't advise that.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:13 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am waiting on a quote from a company called Sneed (or something). Saw them in lasts month Pano. All of the specialty insurance co's I tried (a couple years ago) would not you drive to work - period. I like to drive to work once a week or so. The Sneed people said no problem as long as the mileage is reasonable per year. I'm less than 3k, so no problems.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:47 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would anyone care to share what their rate quotes have been with these co.'s? I have been a long-time State Farm customer, but I felt they were gouging me on the Porsche and was about to jump ship when, low and behold, they came up with a "classic and collector car" program with agreed values. Now I'm at about $550/yr. for full coverage with a $500 ded. on an agreed value of $25K, and my liability umbrella covers the car. They say it's for "cars driven less than 3500 miles" (which covers my garage queen), but the policy itself has no mileage stipulations in it. No conditions about driving it to work either - that would kill me as I do that once in a great while, and if I go into the office on a weekend,
that's the car I'm taking.

I'd be curious how much better I could do somewhere else. Every penny counts these days - you have to save it for
Old 03-18-2009, 07:34 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Getting the CGT was pushing it far enough.

Seriously, my wife was on board from the beginning and loves both of the cars. The way she sees it is that there are far worse things I could be into than cool cars. I'm a lucky guy.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:36 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
I am waiting on a quote from a company called Sneed (or something). Saw them in lasts month Pano. All of the specialty insurance co's I tried (a couple years ago) would not you drive to work - period. I like to drive to work once a week or so. The Sneed people said no problem as long as the mileage is reasonable per year. I'm less than 3k, so no problems.

I have seen their ads in Pano and their rates in their ad for a CGT are far lower than what I pay. I got a quote from them and it was waaaaaaaaaay lower than even their ad! I'm a bit skeptical so I'm anxious to hear what they tell you. Please keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Insurance Company Recommendation