Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stereo Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 AM
MisterB
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Recommendations

Looking to upgrade my head unit 993 cab.... looking at Dual and Alpine units on Crutchfield.... thinking of getting HD/Ipod/CD

Seeking recoomendations for decent unit for the $$

Thanks,

Ed
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the Alpine.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

Nakamichi is one of the few units that still look "stock" in our cars. Nothing is more jarring than a psychodelic flashing disco ball head unit in a spartan no bs 993 interior. The Nak unit isn't cheap though...
Old 03-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

If you don't mind the flash and glitz, Alpine and Clarion make vbery nice units. I have had 2 Alpines in previous cars, and never had any problems with either of them. Sony makes nice units also.

if you want stock appearance, go with Nakamichi or OEM Becker.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:07 PM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Get an OEM Becker man and if the speakers are old - upgrade them with some regular speakers.

I use to be nuts with ICE in my BMW. Then in 2000 I really got into home HiFi and AV equipment - tube amps, DACs, CD source, silver cables, etc. So when it was time to upgrade the 993 - I specked out a great system - Mcintosh MX5000 CD source, two MCC301M amps - one for each front speaker, Dynaudio Esotec 242 spilts, running Van den Hul interconnects, and Kimber 8TC speaker cables with WBT connectors. It would have cost a fortune and I'm sure it would have sounded great.

In the end - I put in the Becker and some regular speakers (Eclipse). Point is - I found out that I usually turn the CD player off so I can hear the sound of the engine. More so after I installed my cat bypass pipes. The sound of the air cooled engine with cat bypass, stock mufflers, drilled air box, and the removal of some sound deadening = some great tunes. Highly recommended man.

But if you really must upgrade - I'd go Alpine - had two older competition decks in the BMW and they where great.

Good luck ...
Old 03-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been doing a lot of looking around to change the Alpine silver faced unit that is currently installed in my car. I hate the look of Alpine head units on these old dashboards. The units that look really good are either Becker or Nakamichi as was previously mentioned. I do believe that the Nak is a better built and better sounding unit than the Becker but that is just my opinion and my readings between the lines. The problem with Nak is that they no longer available in North America and there is very little if any support should problems arise. Most of my research has shown that in time CDs get stuck in the head units and they need to be serviced. They do however produce very good sound and are generally very well built. The important question is whether or not you want to get onto the slippery slope of a high end audio system which would start with a head unit that does not contain an amp. These head units such as the Clarion DRZ9255 are really exceptional sounding and well built units but they cost a lot more to begin with and require a decent amp to be installed under the passenger seat. I do like the new Clarion CZ509 which does look a little modern but contains an amp, has many modern features and for which there is great customer support. It doesn't have all the razamataz of some of the units out there and is reasonable priced. I hope this helps. This is the unit I will probably go with.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:15 PM
MisterB
Intermediate

I was looking at this Dual XHD6420 unit for $100

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070XHD6...0.html?tp=5684

Has anyone used of these units?
Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 PM
ste993
Pro

Don't have any experience with the unit... but check this price out:

http://www.buy.com/prod/dual-xhd6420...206710449.html
Old 03-24-2009, 02:04 PM
jainbaby
Racer

I know that I am biased (JVC National Account Manager)

But we make some of the coolest single DIN units on the market. Checkout www.mobile.jvc.com

We are the only company to make a Single DIN in-dash with a 3.5" screen and built in NAV as well as built in Hard Drive (KDNX5000). This unit is OEM in the new TESLA Roadster.

If you need IPOD USB connection, check out our KDR600 ($139.99)

Also, from a purely cosmetic standpoint, nothing on the market touches our KDR300 ($99.99). It has a Multicolor option which allows you to choose between 30,000 color options. You can match the 993 illumination easily.

We also offer the KDHDR50 ($159.99) which has IPOD USB 2.0, Multicolor and Built-in HD with itunes tagging.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:17 PM
jainbaby
Racer

Also, we make a model called the KDAVX40 ($479.99). This is a new model of last years award winning KDAVX44. CNET rated this as their Editor's Choice. They also said it was the best holiday gift under $1000.

The unit has IPOD USB 2.0. A proximity sensor, touchscreen, built-in Bluetooth and more.

Last edited by jainbaby; 03-24-2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add retail price
Old 03-24-2009, 04:38 PM
Duckman
Racer

I'm looking, too. I recently put a Pioneer Premiere unit in my 968. It's OK and does what I wanted: iPod plugged into the back, resting peacefully in the glove compartment with controls through the head unt; Sirius Sporster plug capability; single CD; pretty good sound; a little too flashy but..........

When I got my 993 two months ago it has a unit that is screaming to be replaced. Among other things I hate is the "plug your iPod into the front" jack thing. Not good, IMHO.

So, if I want FM, CD, Sirius, and iPod "through the unit" capability, and I don't want something gaudy and flashy that would look silly in my very classy 993 dash, what should I get?
Old 03-24-2009, 05:00 PM
biotechee
Racer

My vote is for Becker. In my opinion, nothing (except the Nakamichi unit- which I won't buy due to quality issues) looks better in early to mid 90's Porsches.

In my previous 968 (sorry to the 993 guys for the 968 content), I installed a Porsche CDR220 (Becker). Was very happy with it. In my new-to-me 968, I'm looking at the Becker Grand Prix. Has Bluetooth, Ipod (via an optional adapter- of course!), and all the goodies. Not sure about satellite though...

From the classic 911/964/993 dashes I have seen, such a unit would look great and probably perform well. The only issues with the Grand Prix that I know of are it is not a US model (must source from UK/Germany/etc.) and it is pricey.

Duck- you could always go with the Porsche CDR220 and get the Ipod adapter for it.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I currently have a RSR system and it sounds really good. But like you, I have been thinking about an upgrade. I really like the sound of the FisterD Stage II unit, and I've heard the Fabspeed units are very nice too. I can't decide...there's just too many choices.

Oh yeah, when did Pioneer, JVC, Alpine, and those other guys start making mufflers....?
Old 03-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you Biotechee as can be seen from my previous post. That is exactly what I found out. I like the Grand Prix, too. It will not work with AM radio but who needs that anyway? Have you found a source for these units? I would like to know how you make out with this purchase and installation.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:22 PM
a2_888
Intermediate

I have nak cd500 for sale.I bought it from a rennlister last year but decided not to install it since all I care about is the Fister stage3 that is on my car.

Quick Reply: Stereo Recommendations