Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is it possible to service or replace the A/C expansion valve w/o removing fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 03:25 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question Is it possible to service or replace the A/C expansion valve w/o removing fuel tank?

My Air Conditioning system will not hold a charge. There is a lot of dye visible on the expansion valve that would indicate failed O-rings.

I've looked at the DIY on Pcarworkshop.com:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...orator_Replace

and this job is well beyond my capablity.

Has anyone successfully serviced or even replaced the expansion valve without removing the fuel tank? Can you pull out the fire wall without removing the fuel tank?

Thanks!

Jim
Old 03-28-2009, 10:57 PM
AX993
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Jim,
Others will prob chime in, but after doing mine, I don't believe you can pull the expansion valve with the firewall in place, and you can't remove the firewall with the tank in place. It's not as horrible a job as it looks, just takes a LOT of time for just those O-rings. If you can change the oil & filters, spark-plugs & wires on your 993, you should be able to do the job. As with the oil and spark-plugs, you just need lots of patience.
HTH
Glenn
Old 03-29-2009, 10:56 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing the tank is really not as bad as you would think. Draining the fuel is the worst part (a little messy). If the tank is almost empty, then not tood bad at all. The rest is pretty straight forward. Still a pain overall though.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 AM
chet
Instructor

If you are talking strictly expansion valve and not removing the evaporator, you can get to it by removing the expansion tank on top of the fuel tank and removing the firewall. I was able to remove the firewall without taking the entire tank out, just the expansion tank on top.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:26 AM
hkate
Advanced

Could all these posts about replacing the evaporator be fixed with just replacing the expansion valve? Has Chet from Austin figured out a loophole in that you can just replace the $50 expansion valve (including O rings) without removing the entire gas tank + airbox? It sure would save a lot of diy time (or labor) to be able to remove only the expansion gas tank to gain access to the expansion valve. Thoughts?
Old 06-30-2009, 02:15 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can remove the firewall without touching the expansion gas tank. Trickier, but I just did it!

You need a second set of hands to hold the fuse panel up, while you pull the firewall straight up.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:37 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi Jim,

I re-built my AC system two summers ago... so if you want to tackle it with some local help, or borrow any AC tools let me know! As Johan mentioned, it is possible to replace the expansion valve without removing the vapor tank... I recall having less trouble/more room there than under the front bumper replacing the ballast Rs and condenser.

Cheers, Mark.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:43 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is an old thread. I just updated some info.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to service or replace the A/C expansion valve w/o removing fuel tank?