Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Search Function? What Search Function?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:38 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts
Default Search Function? What Search Function?

WTF is going on with this? Why is something that used to work not working? Quit playing with this very important tool and get it back to where we used to be! C'mon, everybody...Join in for a group rant!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:22 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

YES!!!!!! I also noticed that 'Search' is not pulling up any or very, very few relevant threads.

For example; 'air conditioning not working' brings up 240 threads, but only a couple has anything to do with ac. There is a message the 'not' is a common word.... Duh. How else are you to ask a question?????????????????

What happend to the search engine that use to work?????????????

I had to use Google to seach! Please Fix ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:34 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm holding off on renewing my membership until it is fixed. With no search option I don't see the value or a reason to support a lack of effort. It's obvious management has no passion for Rennlist. I'll be pleasantly surprised when the site works again.

Seems like I'm on Pelican more and more everyday.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:47 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you use the quote marks around the words it works pretty well. There is a note about this when you go to the advanced search window.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:21 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by matt777
If you use the quote marks around the words it works pretty well. There is a note about this when you go to the advanced search window.
Just tried putting in "15W40". Got some hits that were on target but stuff like "LW flywheel" with no ref to "15W40" at all. It's not my imagination that it was working much better b4.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:26 PM
matt777
Drifting

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Just tried putting in "15W40". Got some hits that were on target but stuff like "LW flywheel" with no ref to "15W40" at all. It's not my imagination that it was working much better b4.
I did a search this morning and got good results with the quotes. Yes, its not as good as was before though. I also search thread titles sometimes for better results.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:01 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

The database of knowledge/info here is immense. Sure is a shame the search engine is half-arsed
Old 03-31-2009, 04:06 PM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

...my token seems tobe always expiring...whatever that is - very frustrating. I have to jump around to different pages and then maybe it works.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:12 PM
neunneundrei
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that the search is now doing searches on ANY word that you mention - rather than ALL as in many search engines. Putting quotes around something means you'd have to think about all possible combinations of expressions that someone could write (and what if someone put in more than 1 space between words?).

Be nice if the search could just go back to looking for posts/threads with all keywords listed...
Old 03-31-2009, 06:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Have any of you gone to the help and test forum and checked out the thread by IB Adrian on search issues? he is writing a set of instructions on how to use the new search engine. You could have the old one back but then the entire site would be down. An 'undocumented" feature of the VB search engine is that when the database gets over 6 million posts search crashes the server. Lucky us, rennlist is the first to learn of this "feature". IB wrote a new search engine. Check out the "post search issues thread" for more info.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Have any of you gone to the help and test forum and checked out the thread by IB Adrian on search issues? he is writing a set of instructions on how to use the new search engine. You could have the old one back but then the entire site would be down. An 'undocumented" feature of the VB search engine is that when the database gets over 6 million posts search crashes the server. Lucky us, rennlist is the first to learn of this "feature". IB wrote a new search engine. Check out the "post search issues thread" for more info.
As I said last time you posted this, please point me to the part of the thread that lays out the search process.

I'd search that long thread but... you know. Can't.
As far as I can tell (from what I read there and tried myself) it still "sorta works"
Old 03-31-2009, 07:12 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

The quotation marks do seem to help, at least for me.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:17 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
An 'undocumented" feature of the VB search engine is that when the database gets over 6 million posts search crashes the server. Lucky us, rennlist is the first to learn of this "feature". IB wrote a new search engine. Check out the "post search issues thread" for more info.
What if IB enables the old search on a forum by forum basis?

I can see how 6 million posts on the whole site can be an issue if you do a site search, but when we search, we usually search within the forums looking for an specific issue, not the whole site.

I would bet that at least 3 million posts alone are in the OT forum anyways...

Anyways, whatever they wrote doesn't work well and it's nothing but a patch to me.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:20 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
The quotation marks do seem to help, at least for me.
Quotes help Mark but still not able to search as before.
Or like every other search engine out there.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:21 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
As I said last time you posted this, please point me to the part of the thread that lays out the search process.
+993...Bob, would you be so kind as to provide us with link?

Quick Reply: Search Function? What Search Function?