So It Beginsc . . . 993 :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:29 AM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So It Beginsc . . . 993 :)

Here I am on Florida time, in a crappy motel, waiting for tomorrow. I am about 35 miles 'nawth' of the San Diego airport. Some of you might know, I am about to buy my dream car -- an early VIN '95 993. The adventure shall begin here.

Met a guy on the flight out from Florida -- a Porsche guru of sorts; is that not 'karma'? He is not (YET) an RL member, but he did give me some GREAT tips about the oil weight, etc., to use. He is also from Florida -- just a bit more south. GREAT contact. I told him about our list and he and I exchanged biz cards. I suspect this fellow (about my dad's age) and I will become Porsche-connected.

Anyway, wanted to let you all know how great this list has been, even though I am just a lowly mod, to help me SO MUCH to find my dream car. YES, pics to follow soon. I am so IN-LOOVE with this car!!!

Thanks so much for all of your help -- and please so humble me in my learning curve ahead -- I do have a race car and do know how to wrench -- just never on a car quite as fine as this beauty before. The 993 to me is THE Porsche. May he live long . . . and just a LONG time.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:47 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Bonnie, that's a nice intro to our little 993 sandbox :-)

I hope you are taking time to drive from CA to FL. I took to weeks for a meandering trip from San Francisco where I picked up my 993 to Boston. About 4600 miles. Lots of things alone the way. Here's a URL of that trip: http://www.mikest.com/cars/us04.htm It was a great way to bond with the car. Hope you do and feel the same

BTW, grab an extra DME relay and put it in your glove box just in case.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:00 AM
cy7878
Instructor

Hi,

Not to rain on your parade, but I hope you have AAA membership in case you need it. The last time I drove an old German (a 85 VW Golf) car across country (Summer of 1995), it stopped half way. When you're in rural TX or OK, there will not be a shop that can repair foreign cars, or stock any parts for them as I learned the hardway. Anyways, I'm sure there will be lots of Rennlisters on the way willing to give you a hand if need be. Good Luck.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:02 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Cool deal! take pictures AND post them

Have fun, travel safe and we all look forward to those pictures!!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:46 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice!!! Its a special moment the first time you will drive it! Enjoy!
Old 04-15-2009, 09:59 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations!!!

It brings back memories when I flew to pick mine up and drive it back home. It's the best way to bond with your new baby!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 AM
willchao
Advanced

Congrats, have fun & be safe.

It was only a few months ago when I did the same trip, but only from MO to GA.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Duckman
Racer

Congratulations, Bonnie. Very, very cool.

I had always been a Porsche lover and always wanted a 911 but settled for a 914 and then more recently a 968. They're both nice cars, I still have the 968, but still wanted the 911. When the 993s were released in '95 I knew one day I'd have one. They are IMHO the ultimate--the culmination of the breed.

I found mine on eBay in Chicago and bought it last January after a very complete PPI. After a quick flight to Chicago, I picked up the car in a snow storm, waited it out until the next day, and drove it home. It was a great way to bond with my "new-to-me" 993.

Enjoy your drive home to Florida in your new 993. I'm envious of your journey. Take lots of pics along the way and share them with us.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:51 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

You folks are so awesome! Yes, I will be sure to take plenty of pictures and post them (to my website, since I am pretty sure RL doesn't want folks to use them as a host) for you all here. That's kinda why I started this thread. I am just about an hour and a half away from my first look (in person, that is). Then it's off for the PPI and then some breakfast while I wait. I'll be picking it up this afternoon, and pending the PPI findings, it will be in my hot little hands by tomorrow noon.

Thanks for all of your support and the bit of concern -- 2000 miles really isn't that far, honest! That and I did build (most of) my own race car, and I've not let anyone touch my daily driver nor my truck in at least eight years. I think I'll be good. No, I will NOT post pics of me wielding a wrench covered in grease.

Talk to you all soon!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:54 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nile13

BTW, grab an extra DME relay and put it in your glove box just in case.
Try your best not to laugh . . . maybe I am just tired (jet lag? puhleeze! I'm WEAK) . . . but please tell me (or someone tell me) what a DME relay is? I'd like to take your advice while the dealers / FLAPS are still open.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:01 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

DME relay is Digital Motor Electronics control relay for fuel pump operation -- it's a really common relay to fail or become flaky.

It does nothing but good to have one in the glove box, especially when travelling long distances.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:09 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2000 miles --- yowsah!

FWIW, *before* you start your epic journey -- I would put a BRA on the front of the car!
Covering THAT distance at highway speeds on mostly interstates -- with the nose of 'our' cars being so low -- is tempting fate.

+1 on the spare DME relay.

Also, before you go - MAKE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO TAKE OUT AND INFLATE THE SPARE TIRE.
This will take you all of 30 mins - but will allow u to test the air-pump etc. and become 'familiar' with what's required. You do NOT want to be out in the middle of no-where discovering that your air-pump ..."doesn't!"

Gerry
Old 04-15-2009, 11:38 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Very exciting moment ... but, the real excitement and enjoyment lies ahead.

By the way, what did the guru you met say about engine oil?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:55 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Bonni
Welcome to the 993 club!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the advice on the DME -- where can you get one? At the dealer or? I will ask at the shop that is doing the PPI today. Thanks also about the advice on the spare tire deal. I am beside myself with how much great advice you all have to impart and share.

The oil guy said that the 993 likes 0W50. He recommended subscribing to "Excellence" magazine -- apparently one of the better Porsche mags out there. It had a list this past month of the better oils, Castrol/Syntec being at the top of that list. Mobile 1 was also on the list. Amsoil and Kendall were not. I'll see about the oil today as well when I get the PPI done.

About the bra . . . when I get home I plan to at some point take it to the guy that painted my race car and have him touch it up and apply a new clear coat. After that, I plan to get a clear bra for the front and rear faschia and the lower panels, as well as a quarter or so of the bonnet. Yes, I will take good care of him.

Quick Reply: So It Beginsc . . . 993 :)