Sponsored by: DashLynx

Lesson Learned, Check Dipstick!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:31 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lesson Learned, Check Dipstick!

I was freaking out about my car burning oil all of the sudden, I changed the oil myself, added oil until the gauge was almost to the top warm. In the matter of 300 miles the oil gauge went to the middle. Kind of freaked me out since it's really never burned oil before. I checked the dipstick when the engine was warm yesterday. It was to the top of the twists and the interior gauge read only half full. So I think I was overfilling it and it was just burning off until technically full again.

No more trusting my gauge anymore. Can anyone explain what happens when you overfill the oil? I didn't get any smoke but a buddy driving behind me said he could smell oil under throttle. I've read oil gets into the intake when it's overfilled? Can anyone describe what that means and how it happens?

thanks!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:41 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through this last week. Search posts w/ my username. I feel your pain.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ga993
I just went through this last week. Search posts w/ my username. I feel your pain.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...nsumption.html
Old 04-20-2009, 11:11 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must be retarded, I can't read the damn dipstick. Always worried about adding too much oil. I need to check it soon.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:13 PM
daltvater
Pro

This is great news, I thought going from burning no oil to tons was a bit weird. I love it when the problem is me! Thanks for the help.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:22 PM
grwoolf
Racer

Originally Posted by daltvater
Can anyone explain what happens when you overfill the oil? I didn't get any smoke but a buddy driving behind me said he could smell oil under throttle. I've read oil gets into the intake when it's overfilled? Can anyone describe what that means and how it happens?

thanks!

So how does the oil get into the intake? I didn't see that in the other thread either and was curious.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:32 PM
daltvater
Pro

Originally Posted by grwoolf
So how does the oil get into the intake? I didn't see that in the other thread either and was curious.
Forgot about that part, why does it burn oil when overfilled? I need someone to explain it to me like I'm 4 years old!
Old 04-21-2009, 01:44 AM
dlambert
Intermediate

I found that for my car keeping the oil in the middle of the dip stick range is best. Mile after mile it stays in the middle. When I use to fill it to the top of the range it would burn/use the oil until it was right back to its sweet spot and then stabilize. The gauge reads at the bottom of the range when checked.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:56 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by daltvater
Forgot about that part, why does it burn oil when overfilled? I need someone to explain it to me like I'm 4 years old!
The oil tank is vented to the airbox behind the throttle so when the tank is overfilled, normal crankcase pressures push oil up into the box and it gets burned.

This is definitely something to avoid as oil burning lowers the fuel octane, makes deposits in the chambers and piston crowns, plugs the cats, and fouls the oxysensors.

Without question, reading the dipstick is a challenge however its well worth learning to read the subtlies of a proper oil level on the thing and not relying on the guage to make decisions about correct levels.

I've seen far too many overfilled cars and have seen the consequences of using the guage to decide whether to add more oil to the system.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:15 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
I must be retarded, I can't read the damn dipstick. Always worried about adding too much oil. I need to check it soon.
As a new owner I find it MUCH easier to read the dipstick about 3,000 miles after the oil was last changed, with the oil being darker... of course that doesn't help much for the first 3,000 miles!

Look for a little bubbling action on the dipstick to find the level, view in direct sunlight, blot with a paper towel, etc.....

If you think you are reading the dipstick correctly, but after the 11th time you're still not sure, let the car idle for 15 minutes or so. The oil temp gauge should start to register higher, and then when you check the oil on the dipstick again you will see a higher level as well... Then drive around for awhile until the temp gauge shows normal operating temps, check oil again and it should be back at the original level you found.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

LOL! That's a good find!! Maybe you would have been faster on Saturday with the proper oil level! Your car definitely looks hot!

Quick Reply: Lesson Learned, Check Dipstick!