Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What a great day at the Hershey Swap Meet w/ pics. :o)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts
Default What a great day at the Hershey Swap Meet w/ pics. :o)

Man, and I almost blew this off this year because I might have to sell my car. That would have been ludicrous to pass up on seeing about 1000 Porsches all in one spot, some in motion, today.

While driving up 1-95, I spotted my first Porsche. A 1964 356 in perfect condition. I followed this guy and then was in front of this guy for an hour or so. It's so beautiful from any angle. Keep in mind I'm using a 6 year old Digital Elph camera so my pics are only so good, but here goes - the license plate was: 64 356

I picked up my uncle in York and cruised up to Hershey in my car, though I think he really wanted to take his new Boxster instead. When we got there, we were blown away by the sheer # of Porsches compared to years past when we've gone. It was Porsches as far as the eyes could see

The amount of license plates w/ some variant of the word Porsche was unbelievable. Also, we saw 5 Boxsters all next to each other in the concours area with a license plate of some variant of Boxster, all spelled a little different

We really loved seeing all the funny and cool license plates

It was neat seeing cars I wasn't that familiar with - a replica of course, the guy told me. An original would be $1 mill he said.

Replica or not, this car was HOT!

He drove off after this... it's neat to see these cars in motion instead of just sitting there

This guy wanted "35" he said for this car and the part of the extra car behind it. I wasn't really sure what "35" meant, and didn't want to appear stupid so I smiled and walked on... He had a picture of a restored one on the front seat which cost $100k, and he said it took 7 years to restore it. Was it $3500 that he wanted or ... gulp... $35k? Couldn't be $35k, right? It was basically more rust than car!

Is there anything more beautiful than a classic Turbo in perfect condition, no door dings, road rash, like right off the showroom floor

The interior on the above Turbo was very different looking and immaculate, like new condition

While you may not love the color (I did love it!) this VW beetle was incredible

Was this car ever driven?

2 letters for $650? I didn't see any of the other letters for sale... must have come from a Porsche dealer's lot. I fantasized about having all the letters spelled out (Porsche) and attached to my garage's inside walls as wall art.

Another fave of mine, a light green Turbo beauty. Perfect condition

Nice 993 plate

Again, some of these license plates made me laugh out loud

Bodacious

The concours is always fun for me, though the main parking lot of all Porsches was outstanding too. 30 minutes before we left, a gent in a Carrera GT drove into the main lot. Never saw his car after that though...

Need a table for your game room? I think this one was only $850

Cool Connecticut license plate and I always admire a Porsche that touts a Grateful Dead sticker in the rear windshield (mine has one too)

Safely back home...

I put a post on this forum that if anyone wanted to meet up at 12noon, to meet at the hot dog stand, and if there wasn't a hot dog stand then the crab cake stand. Well, there wasn't a hot dog stand but I did meet one Rennlister who drove a 91 blk Cab from DC at the crab cake stand who recognized me. We ate lunch together and shared wife and life stories. Also got to hang out for a bit w/Mark from Baltimore, from the 993 forum. He was selling some stuff this year and couldn't really leave his post, but it's also nice to see another Rennlister in Hershey.

If you guys were thinking of going to the swap meet next year and were wondering if it's worth the trek, JUST GO!!! If the weather is nice, it's a great time to be had by all. Everyone is in such a great mood.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:27 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post and pix. Glad the weather was good. That is not normal I gather. I definitely have to make it out there.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Steve,
These are awesome pictures of a wonderful event! I am here in Florida crying for not being there........ Maybe next year!!! Thanks for sharing those great shots! Bola.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:25 PM
solsrch
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
Ran into Mark at the meet but didn't see you. Haven't been on the site for probably two years so I didn't see your meet up plan - sorry. It was a glorious day to be up there again. I've had a number of changes to my life and haven't been driving my car or taking time to hang out here, wish it were different. I arrived at the decision this week I need to sell my Cab. Just broke 39K miles driving up to Hershey. Mark's old RS sways and the PSS-9s, etc. haven't been up to Hershey before since last time I went was still with the standard suspension. I got a chance to drive the back roads to the farm we had when I was a little kid - pretty great end way to end my time with her.
Take care, Joe
Old 04-25-2009, 08:28 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for sharing the pics. $35K for that 356? That guy is nuts!!! I imagine it would take about $100K to finish that car after the $35K investment!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by solsrch
Steve,
Ran into Mark at the meet but didn't see you. Haven't been on the site for probably two years so I didn't see your meet up plan - sorry. It was a glorious day to be up there again. I've had a number of changes to my life and haven't been driving my car or taking time to hang out here, wish it were different. I arrived at the decision this week I need to sell my Cab. Just broke 39K miles driving up to Hershey. Mark's old RS sways and the PSS-9s, etc. haven't been up to Hershey before since last time I went was still with the standard suspension. I got a chance to drive the back roads to the farm we had when I was a little kid - pretty great end way to end my time with her.
Take care, Joe
Joe - Sorry to hear you're selling your cab. At least you had a great time with it while you did have it.

Thanks guys for the nice comments. I felt really happy that I was in the rarified world of a 64 356 on the way up there... sharing space on the highway was a privilege I doubt I'll have again for a long time.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:08 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Steve-- Thanks for the pix. Sounds like a great time! I woulda had a natural high. Really wanted to go.

I hope to make the Porsche Parade (June/July), Monterey (Aug), & the Rocky Mountain Concours (Sep).
Hopefully meet many happy 993 RLers representin'
Old 04-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Nic pics, Steve. Good to see you and your uncle. Was that 356 the one in the swamp? I think he wrote "20K?" with a sharpie on it (or, at least, that's what someone else's photo said).

Originally Posted by solsrch
Steve,
Take care, Joe
Joe!

I was really happy to run into you after having not seen you post in a while. I always wondered that happened to you and am glad that all is well. Good luck selling your cab, and please try not to be a stranger. I hope to have my 993 for a long time, so I plan on being here for a while.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:56 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

it was $3500.
And a terrific day for a road trip.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:08 AM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing the photos!
Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Steve,

Sorry I missed you. I did not get there till around 1:30. By that time most of the cars had left the parking lot, so it was sort of disappointing. I walked around the swap meet looking for a few parts. I could not believe some of the prices people were asking and the condition of some of it. If I was asking 3K for a set of wheels, at least I would have them cleaned up. If I go again, I'll have to get there earlier.

Shawn
Old 04-26-2009, 10:34 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Kicking Myself in the Head

Darn it. One week of not viewing this board and fricking #%@^ missed this event. SCREAMING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andreas, why didn't you remind me? Aggh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken
Old 04-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Mark From Baltimore wrote : "Was that 356 the one in the swamp? I think he wrote "20K?" with a sharpie on it (or, at least, that's what someone else's photo said)."

I guess you had seen a different one since the 356 body I saw was only $3500 apparantly.

To the others that got there after 1pm. definitely get there around 930-10am next time. Most of the lots were completely filled with Porsches, spilling over full of them at that time of day. Great bargains to be had. I think my uncle got the best deal - a 959 die cast model of a Porsche Police Car for only $1.

To the others that missed the day, just put it on your daytimer, your 2010 calendar, your blackberry, whatever, but don't miss it next year You never know what you'll find there. In the picture below from one of the tables at Hershey, 2 of my interests came together - watches and Porsches.

Cheers,
Steve R
Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
Steve-- Thanks for the pix. Sounds like a great time! I woulda had a natural high. Really wanted to go.

I hope to make the Porsche Parade (June/July), Monterey (Aug), & the Rocky Mountain Concours (Sep).
Hopefully meet many happy 993 RLers representin'
I would hold off on those plans for the Rocky Mountain Concours....

Important Notice:

Operations on the 2009 Concours have been suspended due to current economic conditions. The lack of sponsorships and advertising demonstrate the severity of this national crisis on our neighbors, friends and supporters. We hope and pray for a swift economic recovery so that fine automobile and motorcycle enthusiasts can once again come out and play.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:49 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Steve; really enjoyed your report; I've always wanted to go to Hershey, and maybe some year I'll make a spring trip out of it.

Have you got your car's handling sorted out now?

Quick Reply: What a great day at the Hershey Swap Meet w/ pics. :o)