Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Twitchy in California

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:44 PM
loopster
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brandon has been doing office time as his Dad is trying to get some out of the office time. He is over seeing the "new" guy.
Tell you after I get my marbles in the tranny fixed. Hopefully next week.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default I hate to beat this thing to death...

but twitchy high speed under acceleration could be front camber settings, too much negative...also the front toe. Twitchy under deceleration could be the kinematic toe (rear).

I have been to Roger Krause Racing in Castro Valley...take tires there for shaving. Great shop...I'll check in with Brandon next time. Appreciate the tip.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 PM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by SwayBar
My car is a street-only 96 Carrera, and I have the same suspension setup from Gert, but mine is set for Euro height.

While at highway speeds and making a not-too-aggressive lane change, the car feels very twitchy, overly sensitive; it is disconcerting to say the least. There is nothing mechanically wrong, nor loose on the suspension.
I have found and solved my problem: my rear swaybar bushings were too tight!

Here is the discovery link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-bushings.html

At the time when I installed my sport suspension from Gert, I greased the swaybar bushings per the directions and assembled, and torqued the swaybar bushing bracket bolts to the factory specs. I noticed at the time that the bracket was clamping the bushing very tight, but not knowing any better, attributed it to the functionality of the sport suspension.

After reading the thread linked above, that night I jacked the car up and removed the links from the ends of the rear swaybar. I then attempted to rotate the freed swaybar, and had great difficulty doing-so.

Next, I removed the swaybar bushing brackets and the bushings themselves. Looking at the inside of the bushings where it contacts the swaybar, I noticed that each end of the bushing about 1/2 inch inward was dirty due to the bracket clamping down so hard causing the bushing ends to flare upward and away from the swaybar, allowing dirt in.

I cleaned up the bushings and the swaybar, and liberally applied synthetic grease to the insides of the bushings. Next, I found 4 washers about 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch thick, and installed them between the swaybar bracket and the bracket mounting point on the frame, and torqued the bolts to spec.

Since the endlinks were not attached at this point, I was able to grab and rotate the swaybar freely, a really good sign.

Finally, I reattached and torqued the endlinks to the swaybar.

When I took it for a test drive, it was like driving a brand new car; no more twitchy-ness and instability at higher speeds, and now goes around corners with lots of confidence!

What a relief...

Last edited by SwayBar; 08-18-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Twitchy in California