Sponsored by: DashLynx

Twitchy in California

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 01:13 AM
loopster
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twitchy in California

Hello Gents! I just put in a LFW clutch( thanks Steve for the path!), and resealed everything, while the engine and tranny were out. Upon insertion the mech got the alignment thrown off. Scary in the corners... to make a long story short I ended up at a Porsche Dealer to have it realigned. Its heap better but now its twitchy from side to side. So going back for a readjust. I have OEM Euro mo3 springs and sway with bilstein HD', rs height. What should I have the tech set the alignment to? a GT 3 spec? Thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 01:27 AM
loopster
Track Day

I guess I should have said that the car in question is a 1996 C4
Old 06-01-2009, 01:58 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

The RS specs is a good setup. You have to ensure they adjust the kinematic properly, being a Porsche dealer they must have the tool.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:05 AM
loopster
Track Day

Seems that the dealer would have the right set up. Its a 4+hour job. Crazy
RS spec seems right
Old 06-01-2009, 02:55 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile How far north in NorCal?

I get my car worked on in San Luis Obispo, about 4 hours south of San Jose...Guy's Independent. Guy's shop is on the Smith Volvo Campus...Guy is an ex-racer and an incredible set up guy...he set my car up....it is on rails with only me holding it back. Guy has a kinematic toe tool.

I used to take my car up to Viper Bob at Devak down the peninsula...Redwood Cith or thereabouts...Bob left the area for FL and I discovered Guy's Independent.

Jerry Woods has his shop in Campbell...world class place.

At Porsche Owners Club, we have an "unofficial" 9XX Spec Series for 964 and 993 cars. Smith Volvo provides the trophies for our class. Check out www.porscheownersclub.org we are running Laguna Seca in August. We will have Time Trial and racing.

Good luck with the car....993 Carrera 4 should be a blast to drive...I have driven a Carrera 4S....great track car.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
The RS specs is a good setup. You have to ensure they adjust the kinematic properly, being a Porsche dealer they must have the tool.
Gee Danny, I thought you said "Being a Porsche dealer, they must be a tool!"

Old 06-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile Their can be a problem using the ...

factory kinematic toe tool if the car is lowered dramatically...I have heard this. It could be an urban legend.

I had my kinematic toe (Rear Bump Steer) done by Jae Lee at Mirage International in San Diego. He does it one step at a time...dont know how (his Trade Secret), but the results are spectacular. It takes him about 5 hours to do the job, worth every penny (See below).

Breaking from 135 mph in 5th gear, down to a second gear turn it...lap after lap, the car was totally stable. The kinematic toe and a good alignment really help.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:16 PM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by loopster
Its heap better but now its twitchy from side to side. So going back for a readjust. I have OEM Euro mo3 springs and sway with bilstein HD', rs height. What should I have the tech set the alignment to? a GT 3 spec? Thanks
My car is a street-only 96 Carrera, and I have the same suspension setup from Gert, but mine is set for Euro height.

While at highway speeds and making a not-too-aggressive lane change, the car feels very twitchy, overly sensitive; it is disconcerting to say the least. There is nothing mechanically wrong, nor loose on the suspension.

I have been told that the fix is to raise the car up which I really don't want to do if not necessary as I bought the kit to lower the car.

However, according to Martin and DJF1, my alignment shop MUST have a kinematic toe tool to do the alignment properly; if that's the root of the problem, I'll be very happy!

Does anyone know if the US hubs are different than their Euro counterpart? If they are, maybe it's to compensate for the different stock ride-heights and keep the suspension geometry correct.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:55 PM
CAHRERA
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

If the EAST Bay is closer then I would recommend Roger Krause Racing in Castro Valley. His son Brandon is very good on 993 alignments and he does have the Kinematic toe tool.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by CAHRERA
If the EAST Bay is closer then I would recommend Roger Krause Racing in Castro Valley. His son Brandon is very good on 993 alignments and he does have the Kinematic toe tool.
+1. Brandon has always done a good job for me.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:41 PM
loopster
Track Day

Hey Martin, thanks for the help! Jerry Woods in Campbell, I will track him down. D Loop in Monterey has been trying to get me to join with you guys. I will get set up and see you on the track soon. Thanks
Stuart
Old 06-01-2009, 06:49 PM
loopster
Track Day

Hey Swaybar-
this is exactly what's up with my car. Lane to lane super twitch. Feels very uncomfortable. My car was lowered prior to my engine work and was so incredibly smooth on the straights and curves. Its gotta be the alignment not the lowering. I will tell you after I go in RK Racing and get the work done.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:07 PM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by loopster
Hey Swaybar-
this is exactly what's up with my car. Lane to lane super twitch. Feels very uncomfortable. My car was lowered prior to my engine work and was so incredibly smooth on the straights and curves. Its gotta be the alignment not the lowering. I will tell you after I go in RK Racing and get the work done.
The shop I took mine to prepares P-cars for Road America, so I'm very interested in knowing how it goes for you. When do you anticipate getting the work done?

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-04-2009, 06:12 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I also had Brandon do the C4S in January when I finally put the PSS9 kit on. Dropped off around noon, Roger called me around 4. Car was probably pretty close as I'd never had anyone else align on of my 911's since I got my first one in 1980. But I didn't want to deal with kinematic toe, so oh well. Ran it for about 5 laps at Thunderhill a couple of months later until I got irritated with the futility of driving a car on street tires. But impeccable manners with the low limits!
Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info, my car needs alignment I think. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Twitchy in California