Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Failed CA Smog & More....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 PM
User 122821
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My understand is as of Jan 1, 2010 in California, referee stations cannot waive the readiness requirement unless the make and model is listed in the BAR sheet. And of course to my grief; the 993 is not listed.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...APPENDIX_J.pdf
Old 11-20-2011, 03:05 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by taitk
Great post. Hoping you can answer a couple of basic questions. are the times listed minimum times? For instance, if I idle for 4 minutes then follow all other steps exactly, should it work? I've seen that this sequence has to be done twice. If so I assume that since step 1 is "start cold" the car has to sit for a while before step 2?
They are minimum times. The best advise is to lug the car during the sequence. Keep the RPMs low. The last time I did this it took me three tries. The third time I increased the times and decreased the RPMs.

Good luck and let us know how it went.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by taitk
Great post. Hoping you can answer a couple of basic questions. are the times listed minimum times? For instance, if I idle for 4 minutes then follow all other steps exactly, should it work? I've seen that this sequence has to be done twice. If so I assume that since step 1 is "start cold" the car has to sit for a while before step 2?
To answer your question I the first start/idle is to test the SAI circuit, if that doesn't run/pass the rest won't either so you would be wasting your time shorting that step. Second, the first idle is only 2 min. 10 sec. (not 4 min) and yes it's critical.

The last idle of the test (on the 2nd run) does not need to be complete but only if you have a tester connected and see that the testing is complete/successful. (see link below)

Yes, unless you're using the Porsche System Tester 2 that is able to "trick" the process you need to let the engine cool between 1st and 2nd passes.

This may help you a little
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ight=readiness
Old 11-20-2011, 01:04 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
They are minimum times. The best advise is to lug the car during the sequence. Keep the RPMs low. The last time I did this it took me three tries. The third time I increased the times and decreased the RPMs.

Good luck and let us know how it went.
Supposed to keep RPM <3000. I keep mine <2700 to be safe (as hard as you try, inevitably you go over) and have had success in the past.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Yes, unless you're using the Porsche System Tester 2 that is able to "trick" the process you need to let the engine cool between 1st and 2nd passes."

Exactly! Which many/most don't realize, or the SAI test won't be performed during the 2nd/3rd trip.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:06 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flying_low
My understand is as of Jan 1, 2010 in California, referee stations cannot waive the readiness requirement unless the make and model is listed in the BAR sheet. And of course to my grief; the 993 is not listed.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...APPENDIX_J.pdf
That is correct. I went to my usual bi-annual trip to the referee last year and was unsuccessful. I did it twice before and it was a breeze.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:36 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL!!! Wish I read this thread before I change my battery. I did everything wrong. I changed the battery not knowing I have to get a smog check for my registration renewal. Bingo!!! my smog check failed. They said something about OBD yada yada yada. Read the first few post about resetting through driving a certain pattern. Is this true for the 997 II? I don't want to incur any more additional cost!! Can some please educate me on what to do? TIA!!! Frustrated by technicalities!!!
Old 01-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Jeff U
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MyEmily
LOL!!! Wish I read this thread before I change my battery. I did everything wrong. I changed the battery not knowing I have to get a smog check for my registration renewal. Bingo!!! my smog check failed. They said something about OBD yada yada yada. Read the first few post about resetting through driving a certain pattern. Is this true for the 997 II? I don't want to incur any more additional cost!! Can some please educate me on what to do? TIA!!! Frustrated by technicalities!!!
Yes

What to do:
  • Get an OBDII reader
  • Check for any error codes
  • Check the status of the monitors
If you do not want to buy one, ask at an auto parts store. Some will test you for free.

If your CEL light is not on you should not be showing any errors.

If you just replaced the battery, of the 8 monitors, 5 will probably show "incl" (incomplete) and 3 will show "OK". You will need all 8 showing "OK" to pass.

Do the drive cycle. Here's what I used:
  • Start engine, let idle for approx. 2 min, 10 secs
  • Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs
  • Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins
  • Decelerate and come to a stop
  • Idle in Neutral for 5 mins (manual trans)
  • During the drive cycle, do not exceed 3,000 rpm or 60 mph

I just had went through this and it took doing the drive cycle twice. You have to lug the motor and not exceed 3k RPM or 60 MPH (some say 55 MPH) at any point. The long idle at the end seems to be particularly important.

One more thing:
When using the OBDII reader, if you get a communication error, make sure the immobilizer is deactivated. If the immobilizer is active (where you could not start the car) it messes with the reader's ability to communicate with the car.

Last edited by Jeff U; 01-19-2013 at 12:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Failed CA Smog & More....