Automotion/BW Motorsports Brake Ducting DIY

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:24 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Automotion/BW Motorsports Brake Ducting DIY

Hey Guys,

Today/tonight I installed one side of the brake ducting system designed by BW Motorsports, who supplies automotion and MA Shaw with their Turbo S bumper duct kit. I purchased the extended kit that includes ducting for air to the brakes. The kit is $599 from Automotion.

This is one side of what came in the kit. It includes the turbo S duct with 38W light, a thick gray hose, the wheel well outlet and air deflector. See below

Let me preface this installation by saying that my bumper and wheel well covers were already off and my car is on jacks. If you plan on doing this, removing the bumper and wells is a must.

First I started off with the plastic wheel well covers and fitting the outlet for the air into the covers. There are two deflectors that come with the kit that sit forward of the body brake line mount that deflect air coming out of the outlet to the wheel/brakes.

I wanted to ensure that the outlet match up with the deflector as without these the air would be worthless. I fit the wheel well covers in and place the deflectors in to find where I would want the outlet to come. I marked the outlet using a Sharpie so that I would have reference when drilling the hole. You want to make sure that you are close to the inside so that the hose can clear the oil/ac cooler.

I actually traced it backwards but then afterwords I placed the outlet on the wheel well and then marked the center of the hole. I used the center marking for the hole drill I used

I then drilled a hole through the wheel well and inside plastic that sits against the back of the A/C/oil cooler.

After cutting the hole into the wheel well cover I reinstalled the wheel well cover and then traced the hole I cut onto the aluminum piece that bolt to the cooler to prevent the air going by the cooler. After tracing the hole, I drilled a new hole in the aluminum piece.

I then reinstalled the aluminum piece as seen above and then adjusted the piece so that the hole wasnt partially covered by the A/C cooler by pusing it towards the body (toward the side that is rubber). This allows for the hose end to fit into the metal. After cutting the hole I reinstalled the metal piece, put the hose through on the cooler side and then installed the wheel well cover

This left just enough hose exposed in the inside of the well so that it could grab the outlet hose hook up. I inserted the outlet into the hose and pressed from oil cooler side, it fit perfect!

I haven't attached anything permanetly yet as I want to ensure that I use the proper hardware. I will be installing the other side tommorow and will be sure to post pictures.

My only question is if the hose is going to interfere with the cooling of the A/C and oil cooler. It is quite long right now so I might trim it down so its not snaking up and down inside the A/C and oil cooler intake area.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Regards,

Kevin
Old 06-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job! Looks very clean.

btw, you kind of answered my earlier response of why I didn't go through with this after I researched it. My feeling was that I didn't want to cut things up and install an aftermarket piece when the results aren't going to be so clear in respect to the benefit.

From what I understood the cooling is very minimal. And also unnecessary unless it's a track car. And even then, the duct work is much more substantial on the tracked cars (the size of the ducting is similar to the DIY duct job on pcarworkshop.com) and the duct work leads directly to the brake rotor rather than just the well.

I've yet to have issues with any noticeable brake fade in very hard driving. However, I haven't had the car on the track yet.

The OEM Turbo S ducts are about cooling the oil cooler, iirc. (?)
Old 06-14-2009, 03:40 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up Any Turbo S owners reading this? Grab your camera!

Kevin-- Very cool (pun intended). Great Craigslist score at 70% discount!

Thanks to you, Rennlist now has the 2nd-ever DIY on the general subject. As the units become more popular upgrades every year, cooling info like this is helpful. [Other DIY link in previous Automotion Turbo S Brake Ducts thread.]

Best resource would be RL Turbo S owners posting clear photographs of OEM installations with appropriate panels removed.

However, looks like Canyon's right -- would just show oil & AC cooling, not brakes.

Last edited by curve lover; 09-20-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: fix dead photo link
Old 06-14-2009, 04:41 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To me the active cooling for the A/C cooler and Oil cooler seems pretty pointless. The turbo bumper directs a ton of air into the cavity and the small tube I doubt would add much more. I basically didn't want to do the Turbo S ducts unless they were going to be functional. So if it adds a little to the brakes I am ok with that. I did the other side this morning but unfortunately have to take off on a trip out west so I didnt take any picutres. Let me just say that the other side is much harder as the aluminum piece on the side above does not come off and you must take the fan off of the cooler so that you can get it at an angle to see where you are drilling. I still haven't put anything in permanently yet.
Old 06-14-2009, 04:43 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Question

Originally Posted by Canyon56
The OEM Turbo S ducts are about cooling the oil cooler, iirc. (?)
It's clear we're talking front Turbo S ducts, but don't forget there are others: REAR Turbo S ducts. Don't wanna hijack here, but maybe for when discussion on fronts is done, or a new thread altogether:

For those who love the look of the rear ducts, & have Kevin's mentality...
Originally Posted by Kmassed002
I didn't want to do the Turbo S ducts unless they were going to be functional.
...there's a similar lack of installation photos & info regarding these Tequipment ducts.

I took these 959 photos. I've taken 993 Turbo S shots, but only from the outside; even close-up they're worthless. Anyone have Turbo S OEM installation shots without panels in the way?

AMGkit.com's Porsche 993 Rear Quarter Brake Ducts: "These steel brake ducts force air through to cool the brakes and engine. Comes with brake ducts and installation instructions."

NRauto.com's 993 Turbo S Rear Quarter Steel Brake Ducts: "Our rear brake ducts allow for both brake and engine cooling when air is forced through the duct. Complete with template and installation instructions."

I've e-mailed both businesses, asking for follow-up photos or the advertised installation instructions -- no response. I talked to the owner of NR Auto long ago; he said they were installed on his below red Turbo & had a custom install to cool the engine. He said he wasn't familiar with the details, though, & had sold the 993.

Last edited by curve lover; 08-10-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: fix dead photo link
Old 06-26-2009, 03:42 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default ISO rear Turbo S ducts interior photos

OT, but related to above post:
I took these shots of a GT1's rear ducts today. Can ayone get some of a 993 Turbo S without its rear fender liners installed?

Quick Reply: Automotion/BW Motorsports Brake Ducting DIY