Rennlist/ PCA member's 993 SPEEDSTER

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 04:54 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thumbs up RL, FTW!

One of many valuable things I learned from the RL community: after I noticed that 993 Turbo Twist wheels don't necessarily fill the entire rear WB wheel well, I read here that 996 Turbo wheels do, since they're wider. Even better -- direct fit without modification. Plus, IMHO, they look better on WB 993s than 996s.

Jerry's wide rear quarter panels, for example:

Old 07-15-2009, 04:58 AM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by curve lover
All y'all may have seen my 'big reveal' coming a long time ago. Regardless, maybe entertain my momentary illusion here of thinking it was a bit of a surprise...

Kudos to the following Rennlisters, & more whom I've forgotten or errantly omitted:

The perfect confidants as it neared completion...
- Allill, my sounding board for first-hand cabriolet widebody conversion experience. He can only imagine how many times I've read his "WIDEBODY 993 S CAB... does my *** look fat?" thread.
He was incredibly good at keeping this secret, as he'll gladly tell you.
[BTW, the man's engaged, so lift 'em high for Jeff: may he always have a Porsche in the garage, & may it be their only fat ***! ]
- Arena993 & Cactus, for their contagious enthusiasm, exceptional eye(s) for fit & finish, & especially Mike's experience at crafting incredible, custom cabs.

-------------------------------------------------------------
The innocent, who may be caught unaware at seeing their name below...
Adrian Streather, whom I can't say enough good about. After bugging him incessantly for every 993 & Speedster detail, he still sent me a Christmas card. ...then I screwed up getting to meet him in person when I drove through Switzerland.

Porschemeister, whom I consulted on some hard-to-find parts, & served as inspiration with his custom US DOT-compliant GT2, & its Excellence magazine feature.

Vhanzon, for his influence on finishing the interior, & ongoing overseas dialogue.
Boston911fan, I blame you for part of my Speedster sickness.
DavidinLA, & his uncanny ability to bring clarity to details my subconscious has been mulling over. Case in point: since inception of my Speedster concept, I've been obsessed with possibly showcasing modern Fuchs on it; long before I read his similar idea. Scroll up to his last post, & you'll see just 1 reason why I admire his helpful insight. Often on a similar wavelength.
I used to think I was 993 detail-oriented, 'til he amazed by pointing out that a Speedster could be the only 993 with parallel side-view mirrors. I must bow to the master of attention to cab details!

RJT, who helped get me in touch with Jerry Seinfeld's car broker, Sam Cabiglio. Sam gave me general advice, fueled my motivation, & confirmed Jerry's factory-direct 993 Speedster is still owned by Seinfeld, despite what the following implies:

Right on Jager! Maybe one day we can get our fat cabs together for a ride!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:02 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

...RLers even picked the color of my split-grill rear spoiler, through the on-line poll, "rear grill paint-- contrasting or body-color?"

Huge fun to share her completion here now. Like so many of life's most memorable accomplishments, the Speedster's completion was a last-minute affair. One of my goals was to have her completed prior to the PCA Parade in Keystone, CO. It was tight, but she cooperated & everything came together perfectly the day I needed to get the Guards Red rarity to her big debut.

For your enthuiasm & questions, I greaty appreciate your patience -- lots of demand for prompt photos & info since its recent completion.
Apologies to those that would have liked to be included earlier. I didn't have the luxury, or at least the time management skills, to correspond appropriately as I started to dread missing the Parade goal / deadline, after more than 8 months of focused work.
A wee bit perfecshunistic , I gained confidence in her correct completion late in the game.

Along the way, I was repeatedly impressed by many 'over & above' efforts that built my 993 better, such as dissembling related portions of a 993 Turbo S for examination - more than once! - & consulting an Andial expert in person. However, I had mentally prepared for a sprint, not an endurance race. Wonderful to look back & know it was accomplished properly.

My near-term goal of the PCA Parade was secondary to their goal of having her done perfectly. What a wonderful reason to celebrate now, as both priorities were accomplished simultaneously!

Last edited by curve lover; 10-29-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Redundant redundancy
Old 07-15-2009, 05:06 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

IMHO, anyone's future conversion efforts will require even more resource-consuming effort, as 993 (& 964 Speedster) parts become more rare. Hopefully these pages will help with details.

This wasn't just my project, it was a 'Rennlist village' accomplishment. Thanks for letting me learn from you, while gaining energy & momentum through the "Speedster type 993 photo thread" (all 17 pages) & elsewhere.

With all that in mind, biggest nod of appreciation goes to my bride, who had the idea for me to pursue the Speedster 993, starting ~Apr '08, after we flew to Europe in the preceeding January to look at overseas Speedsters. She continues to be an incredible support. Furthermore, many of the photos you see are not only from her hand, but were her idea to grab a camera & make the shots happen. Simply put, she's better than I deserve. That sentiment's comparable to the red beauty you've seen here!

PS I'm sure Moffat must be complicit in guilt somehow.

Heck, if Seinfeld had a RL account, I'd openly 'blame' him here for inspiring all of this. His US-spec factory Speedster is literally my physical inspiration, my model. May be obvious, but during this build, bringing to life a 993 that no one I know has ever seen was complex. Whenever faced with an aesthetic question without an immediate answer, I'd reference photos of Jerry's fine ride, & that would be our guide.

Tim, that's not bad company to keep!

Last edited by curve lover; 09-09-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:12 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by allill
Right on Jager! Maybe one day we can get our fat cabs together for a ride!
Jeff-- Hoping to make Monterey's Laguna Seca Historics mid-Aug. Maybe time to drop the tops for a photo op? Would be sweet, bro! Luv to meet & see your ride in person. Name date, place, & beverage of choice, & maybe we can make this happen

Old 07-15-2009, 05:29 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Perhaps the biggest thank-you goes to RLer SM Racing, who made it all possible.

Example of how Rennlisters very literally had a direct part in me being lucky enough to have this 993:

because of SM's thread, "the 993 SPEEDSTER -did you catch this?!?", I promptly acted on the only available 993 Speedster I've ever found in the USA.

If I hadn't lucked onto his post, & my wife wandered by to see me drooling earnestly, this NB Speedster wouldn't have blossomed into the WB she is now. That transformation, & answering questions, will be the subject of future posts!

Last edited by curve lover; 07-16-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:10 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jäger--

I was really surprised to see your car. I had no idea! I thought you were collecting parts or something.. You are one of those people that really make up this great society we have here.. I've asked many questions over the years-- Many of them stupid. I asked for a lot of advice. Always got it. Always faced by a crowd of nice people who love Porsches. Who love 993s/964s. I really enjoyed our conversations and I must say I'm utterly impressed with what you have accomplished . It's we here on RL who should be thankful to have you here. Great pictures and an awesome project to boot. Some ppl like to show their work in progress (Arena993(Mike), AC993C2S(Rob) etc) while others like to keep quiet and show everything once it's ready (like you and me).

If you are ever in Sweden, shoot me a msg and we'll hook up and talk Porsches. Tace care buddy

PS. To be completely honest, I love all the things about your car 140%. GR looks SO nice, the bucket seats, WOW, the CF interior, the amber taillights=perfect for originality etc. BUT, I'm not a big fan of the 996wheels. I know the fill out the wells but still.. They are not "period correct". I would totally go for the 993TT hollows. Put a ½inch spacer in the rear to fill out the wells. Or even 7-8mm. That's the only thing I would change. I'm jealous, what a car!! DS.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:12 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Viggo-- Thanks for the kind words, & especially the generous invitation.

Certainly no foul favoring 993 wheels vs. 996. I started with similar views, but wanted to fill out those fenders.

I now know that there's nothing wrong with spacers when used sparingly. However, my 1st exposure years ago was with people who used them for the wrong reasons, & that still effects my desire to steer clear of them when able.

I was impressed by how enthusiastic RL 993 WB owners were that got 996 Turbo wheels to compliment their quarter panel proportions. Likewise with how they liked the look from side; & how much better they looked on their 993s than I expected. Now that they're on mine, they've really grown on me.

Regardless, I'll be glad to ditch my hollow-spoke 996 Turbo Twists if you can direct me toward 18" modernized Fuchs, FTW! That could be the perfect combination, if done correctly.

Would be a unique opportunity to showcase them on the Speedster at Monterey next month, if I get there.

As I alluded about my desire for Fuch updates when writing about DavidinLA on the previous page, I've heard of some potentials being developed, but have yet to see anything that's right.

These are close, but are only 17"...

Old 07-16-2009, 01:20 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Back to license plate: I couldn't believe my good fortune that no one else already had "SPDSTER" in my state. (That's the most letters you can have on a personalized plate here.)

Kinda cool: the day after the Dept of Motor Vehicles gave me my new plates, this graphic greeted me while navigating to my local Porsche Club Region's webpage.
It was like a message from above, & everything just seemed right in the world!!!

Old 07-16-2009, 02:43 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 990 Likes on 438 Posts

PM sent on the Fuchs.

I had an opportuniy to spend an (unsupervised) afternoon in a 95 cab this past Sunday. All I could think of afterwards was your Speedster. Maybe I need one......................in Turquoise!
Old 07-16-2009, 06:04 AM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by curve lover
I'll be glad to ditch my hollow-spoke 996 Turbo Twists if you can direct me toward 18" modernized Fuchs, FTW!

http://www.kerscher-tuning.de/raeder/index.php?id=20

Last edited by V; 04-05-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:18 AM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

NO! please...!

keep the T2-twists. ok. i'm a little biased...

or go for BBS race-mags: http://www.germansportscars.net/DE/p...ium-rennsp/16/
Old 07-16-2009, 06:41 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

18x12ET27 and 18x9.5ET46

(although I prefer the ones posted above with the hidden bolts, especially with polished on black....17" would still look good IMHO!)

Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 AM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by David in LA
18x12ET27 and 18x9.5ET46

(although I prefer the ones posted above with the hidden bolts, especially with polished on black....17" would still look good IMHO!)
Yeah I know.. This was just food for thought.. I still think the 993TT hollows would look the best! Maybe even with the Turbo S "hypersilver" finish . And a small spacer in the back..
Old 07-17-2009, 02:25 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
PM sent on the Fuchs.

I had an opportuniy to spend an (unsupervised) afternoon in a 95 cab this past Sunday. All I could think of afterwards was your Speedster. Maybe I need one......................in [SIZE="4"]Turquoise[/SIZE]!
Tim-- PM back atcha.

Any chance that cab was Guards Red with red top?

As if there's any question, you do need a turquoise Speedster & Cactus needs a white/ Can-Can ride. RL also needs at least Black, Arena Red, green, slate gray (& more) 993 Speedsters. Heck, let's get another silver if we don't see Jerry's here again.

In the meantime:
More modern Fuchs photos ... 18"s

March 2008 prototype:

Pretty sweet, but prefer hidden bolts

Quick Reply: Rennlist/ PCA member's 993 SPEEDSTER