Sponsored by: DashLynx

993 RS in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 AM
markmullen42
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 993 RS in the USA

Hi everyone, I wonder if I could have some advice please?

I have a client in the USA (California to be exact) who would like to buy a left hand drive 993 RS I have for sale and export it from here in the UK to the USA.

I can ship the car no problem but I know the 993 RS was never officially offered in the USA, is there anything to stop him registering and driving one out there?

Your assistance would be appreciated.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:17 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

Just EPA/DOT regulations with regard to importing a vehicle not built to US specs. Then, there's the more stringent CA regs. I recall that there are newer regs which permit an individual to import, on a one-time basis, an older vehicle but I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply in this instance. I suggest that he contact some of the more highly reputable, well-known exotic vehicle dealers on the West Coast for confirmation of my assessment.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:30 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Absolutely agree it's on the buyer to perform the due diligence. But if you get funds in your account for the agreed selling price, does it matter on your end? Love to have a real one here in CA, too! But we're too worried that a nasty rest-of-world car will cause unspeakable injury to both occupants and innocent victims if involved in an accident, or singlehandedly cause the polar bears to become extinct..............
Old 08-20-2009, 11:35 AM
markmullen42
AutoX

Originally Posted by race911
Absolutely agree it's on the buyer to perform the due diligence. But if you get funds in your account for the agreed selling price, does it matter on your end?
I'd like to make sure it is right for him, if I look after him now he might buy more cars from me in future.

Originally Posted by race911
Love to have a real one here in CA, too! But we're too worried that a nasty rest-of-world car will cause unspeakable injury to both occupants and innocent victims if involved in an accident, or singlehandedly cause the polar bears to become extinct..............
Sounds like things in UK, won't someone think of the children!!

Thanks for your help chaps.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:48 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

An auto broker looking after a customer's best interest? That's quite the foreign concept over here!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:52 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

You might try putting him in contact with Bruce Canepa's people. They import and convert 959's here in California. Here's the website:

http://www.canepa.com/

If anyone knows what it takes/costs to convert this car, he would.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:30 PM
markmullen42
AutoX

Thanks for all your help chaps, much appreciated.

If you ever happen to be in Malton, in the north of England, I'd be happy to take you for a beer as thanks.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:05 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The conversion can definately be done. here's one in the US now that's for sale at Aston Martin New England:

http://www.astonmartin-lotus.com/inv...porsche_993_rs
Old 08-20-2009, 02:55 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OT:

that Aston Martin stealership in Waltham is the one back in 2007 that wanted me to pay in full for a 993 turbo and THEN get an independent PPI, and then they can refund me the money if I don't want it (yeahhhhhrrright).

Or, as a convenient service to me, he was gonna have his mechanic "who knows a lot about Porsches" do a PPI for me. The owner basically didn't want his car off the lot. I asked him what he had to hide. No reply after that.

So, anyone else: beware if you are thinking about that RS.

Also: Isn't that a 993 GT2 wing on their car and not an RS wing?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The polar RS looks to be a reasonable example from the photos, it does appear to be "German dentist spec" with it's airbags, comfort Lay Z boys and electric windows, I wonder if this makes it easier to get into the US over a basic non airbag Recaro fixed bucket seat car?
Old 08-20-2009, 03:02 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimhsu
OT:

Also: Isn't that a 993 GT2 wing on their car and not an RS wing?
The car is fitted with the Clubsport/RSR bodykit, which was available as a factory option on the RS.

The Gt2 rear spoiler is larger still, with more rounded air vents, which actually vent into the engine bay.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:46 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clubsport1
The Gt2 rear spoiler is larger still, with more rounded air vents, which actually vent into the engine bay.
I think the rear spoiler on the Aston-Martin dealership 993 RS looks just like the spoiler on this non-EVO GT2, right?

http://www.butzi.cz/modely/95_911_gt...2_(993)_01.jpg

Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Well no, to be honest!

There is obviously a similarity, but looking at the Gt2 spoiler in the photo you show above, the Gt2 has more rounded air vents rather than the more triangular vents of the RSR/CS spoiler.

the side profile is different, with the CS/RSR flatter at the sides and the Gt2 spoiler above has longer vents, it also has a badge inset in the side, where as the RS/CS is totally flat.

If you look at the adjacent thread, "baby has a new look", the white car has a Gt2 type rear spoiler fitted which although the same, is seen at different angles to the one in your photo above.

Then refer back to the flat sided triangular vented spoiler of the RS at the Aston dealer to see the differences.

Sorry to be quite so pedantic, but you did ask!
Old 08-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clubsport1
The polar RS looks to be a reasonable example from the photos, it does appear to be "German dentist spec" with it's airbags, comfort Lay Z boys and electric windows, I wonder if this makes it easier to get into the US over a basic non airbag Recaro fixed bucket seat car?
My take as well... funny coincidence, my car was 1 number off this one. i.e 371. This RS is a wuss. IMO of course
Old 08-20-2009, 06:40 PM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monique
My take as well... funny coincidence, my car was 1 number off this one. i.e 371. This RS is a wuss. IMO of course
I missed that, you car is one number off of what car? The New England car is #844.

Quick Reply: 993 RS in the USA