Sponsored by: DashLynx

Battery trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 02:34 PM
sadasdas
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery trouble

Hello, I am a newbie and I own a 1997 993 it is the third time my battery drains out. It takes about 6 days to drain out. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem or knows where the problem could be coming from.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Benny,

Assuming that the battery is in good shape to being with (less than 4 years old) and the alternator/voltage regulator are both functioning properly (you didn't say how many miles are on your new car), I would begin by measuring current draws at the battery and removing fuses, replacing one at a time, to find the culprit.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:51 PM
troos
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're not leaving the key in the ignition, are you.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:57 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

Steve's right. Usually, the biggest (and simplest) culprits are the trunk, rear deck or glove compartment light. Try this to check: Rig up a 12v. test light with long leads and small alligator clips on the ends. Remove your trunk light bulb and clip a lead to each contact so that your test light is on. Close the trunk lid with the test light on the outside and wait a few minutes for the light to go out. If it doesn't, you need to adjust the switch contact which is a part of the latch assembly.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:04 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have an aftermarket stereo or alarm system, and none of the other stuff checks out, that's the next place to look...
Old 08-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Steve's right. Usually, the biggest (and simplest) culprits are the trunk, rear deck or glove compartment light. Try this to check: Rig up a 12v. test light with long leads and small alligator clips on the ends. Remove your trunk light bulb and clip a lead to each contact so that your test light is on. Close the trunk lid with the test light on the outside and wait a few minutes for the light to go out. If it doesn't, you need to adjust the switch contact which is a part of the latch assembly.
Cool diag solution. I am saving this one.

Mike
Old 08-24-2009, 06:25 PM
sadasdas
AutoX

Originally Posted by troos
You're not leaving the key in the ignition, are you.
No I am not leaving the key in the ignition I wish I it were that simple.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 PM
sadasdas
AutoX

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Benny,

Assuming that the battery is in good shape to being with (less than 4 years old) and the alternator/voltage regulator are both functioning properly (you didn't say how many miles are on your new car), I would begin by measuring current draws at the battery and removing fuses, replacing one at a time, to find the culprit.
The battery was replaced this summer and the car has 70,000 miles. I will take your advice and give it a try get back to you when I am done.
THANKS
BB
Old 08-24-2009, 06:29 PM
sadasdas
AutoX

Originally Posted by Noah
If you have an aftermarket stereo or alarm system, and none of the other stuff checks out, that's the next place to look...
I do have both after market hope that isn't problem.
Thanks for taking the time appreciate it.
BB
Old 08-24-2009, 06:30 PM
sadasdas
AutoX

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Thanks
BB
Old 08-25-2009, 11:38 AM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

IIRC another Rennlister had this problem and through some diagnostics figured out that there is LESS draw on the battery if you do the counter-intuitive move and always turn the alarm ON (even if parked in your locked garage at night).
Old 08-25-2009, 11:55 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

i had this problem, it was the light in the boot/trunk.

BTW, I didnt know you could adjust it....I just took the bulb out and use a trickle charger for any period over 2-3 days it sits.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:33 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by friar93
I just took the bulb out and use a trickle charger for any period over 2-3 days it sits.
There must still be something wrong. For comparison's sake, I was overseas for 10 weeks this summer. I left the car locked in my garage, no trickle charger, no nothing. Came home and it fired right up. It's actually sort of amazing that the battery can keep those two red led's flashing, 24/7 for over two months without losing its charge.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:39 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by friar93
i had this problem, it was the light in the boot/trunk.

BTW, I didnt know you could adjust it....I just took the bulb out and use a trickle charger for any period over 2-3 days it sits.
If you want to fix it, take off the black plastic cover at the base of the trunk and you'll see that there's a tab which, when depressed by the lock, should shut off the light. If it doesn't, adjust it so it will.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
trojanman
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went through this diagnosis several months ago and found that my stock CDR 210 radio was drawing significant current with the key out and everything off. I ended up replacing the stock unit with an ipod-ready aftermarket Alpine and it completely solved the problem.

As I understand it, the other area that can cause this draw is the CCU fan.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Battery trouble