Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Leaking timing chain seals

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Previous to my ownership a reputable shop in town applied silicone to the underside of the lower valve cover bolts on my car... I've not heard of this before so I'm just throwing it out there, but despite some wet seals I haven't seen any oil on the ground yet, 6mo's & 10K miles.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
35 hours for an overhaul is cheap IMO but I think what he is selling you is just a reseal. I think. Anyway, I would check around with some other shops and see what they think or just ask your guy to price resealing the chain housings if this is where your leak is.

I have done a ton of these on 993/964 motors. Very common repair.

There is some confusion here as to what was asked. I quoted you time for resealing the chain housings but see in my post I typed chain covers. My mistake. IMO opinion as a factory trained Porsche tech with 25+ years on Porsche cars, it is a waste of your resources to just replace the cover gaskets. But that is my opinion and as you can see, others feel differently.

Good luck with the leak.
Yes, I see now what you were referring to WRT retiming cams. If the O-ring is indeed leaking behind the chain box, then yes, off they come. At that point, and as you know, its just better to pull the engine and do the P/S drive Oring on the back (front) of the engine too.

Just about all of the cars we see are weeping from the chain box covers. We dont see leaking from the O-ring much, at least the cars we see. If they are leaking from behind the chain box, yes, it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to replace just the chain box cover gasket.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
These are perhaps two of the stupidest posts I've ever read on this forum. You're telling me that if the timing chain cover is leaking, you should completely tear down and reseal the entire engine? If that's what you're saying, your either a crook or a fool.
Since it's too late for me to tell you actually READ my post before you shoot your mouth off or you don't see well and can't read small type, let me help you out.

AT NO POINT DID I SAY HE SHOULD TEAR HIS WHOLE ENGINE DOWN. I DEFY YOU TO SHOW ME MY QUOTE STATING THE WHOLE ENGINE NEEDS TO BE TORN DOWN.

Now, I did say if the covers are leaking, HE SHOULD RESEAL THE CHAIN BOXES. Wrightwood Racing sells all of the timing chain housing gaskets in one kit.

If you are going to come on here and insult me at least have the sense to not be an ignorant ******* and insult me with wrong information. You don't know a damn thing about me and it say that I am a crook inflammatory at a minimum and slander at worst. Try some basic reading comprehension before you run your beak.

Try to pay attention, I understand this is difficult.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:57 PM
lowblow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gasket leaks

Thank you all for the great, (and sometimes emotional), insight. I really enjoy this board as it has taught me a great deal about our cars.

At any rate, I had a much more lengthy conversation with my indy late this afternoon. I want to stress that I like him and don't feel he is trying to take advantage. He knows how picky I am and to that end is trying to be as thorough as possible. He understands that to do the whole shebang is a substantial undertaking. He will do just the covers but doesn't think I will get the "bang for the buck" because he does not want to do it without dropping the motor. Trying to do it with the motor in place will increase the labor, (relatively speaking), due to additional disassembly.

I am probably my own worst enemy because I have stressed to him how concerned I am that any day I will probably be faced with the dreaded CEL for SAI. This is why he suggested a comprehensive service including replacement of all gaskets, and checking guides, cleaning the SAI, etc. while in there.

In the end I told him to wrap it up and that I would put a tray under the car, monitor the situation and fight the battle another day when something more serious happens or when I get puddles of oil instead of drips. We replaced the a/c fan controller, (The fan was intermittently working in high speed), he did my normal oil/ filter change and installed new brake pads on the rears which I havent done since I purchased the car in 04'.

Your comments and suggestions helped me come to the obvious conclusion and I sincerely appreciate all of your input.

Mike
Old 09-15-2009, 10:22 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, if at some point you do go forward you might as well do the valve job at the same time.
The level of disassmbly proposed for the leaks makes it more cost effective to tackle the SAI/top end at the same time.
As already said, you don't need to go this deep for TC gaskets... sounds like there is more going on here, like maybe the base seals on the barrels.
Take care!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:34 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

I must be in ine "**** Retent" Category, because I can't live with an oil leak. Of course, I do my own work, so I'm not facing a $5k bill in labor (youch!). Even being in the **** category, I'm not sure I would pull the timing chains on my car "while I was in there" either.

Although, my wife just yelled at me because I had to find an exact match for celling paint in a spray can for the new a/c vents I just installed in the basement ...so perhaps I might end up rebuilding the motor instead!

Maybe there are medications for this kind of affliction!

Quick Reply: Leaking timing chain seals