Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OT: RE-Edit - Mac Pro Book Pro 15" or 17" OR iMac 24" to view Rennlist faster? :o)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts
Default OT: RE-Edit - Mac Pro Book Pro 15" or 17" OR iMac 24" to view Rennlist faster? :o)

EDIT: Now I might need a desktop instead of a laptop. I just got a free laptop for work to show my work demos, but it's an Asus and the battery is broken and is really junky. I have to plug it in to use it, too.

A Mac Book Pro 15" or 17" is calling to me... or maybe just get an iMac 24" for home and still use this crappy Asus for the little bit of demoing I'd have to do? A bit of a quandry...

Viewing Rennlist posts is getting more and more frustrating due to my slow computer. I am using a 7 year old Dell desktop that is very slow and now the disc drive is broken (it won't run my discs I insert in it).

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 09-23-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can try and restore the PC (it should have a restore cd) and get rid of all the junk applications the laptop has collected over the years. These applications will slowdown the PC a lot.

Otherwise, (a bit over your budget) check out alienware (its not a joke) http://www.alienware.com/

Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 AM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

After 10 mostly problem free years using Dell laptops at work, I left the company. Ordered a new Lenovo SL500 15.4 pc in May. Building/delivery took 3+ weeks, a bit slow, but I have been happy since then. $755 delivered. Specs are similar (only 3GB RAM) to those you listed altho with Vista Basic (you should be getting Win 7 now I think). PM me for details. If money were no object, I'd go Mac.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:09 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

I too would consider restoring the laptop and installing additional RAM if the pc has an open slot. I'm not quite sure how graphics-heavy your needs really will be, but for $40 of memory and 20 minutes of your time it's practically a free look. Then when your cash flow improves you can upgrade to a new machine.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:14 AM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My new PC is a MacBook Pro 13.... cannot understand why someone smart, beautiful and intelligent like me could have waited so long...

Had a MAJOR problem exporting th contents of my OUTLOOK pro to the MAC though.

GL
Old 09-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
I too would consider restoring the laptop and installing additional RAM if the pc has an open slot. I'm not quite sure how graphics-heavy your needs really will be, but for $40 of memory and 20 minutes of your time it's practically a free look. Then when your cash flow improves you can upgrade to a new machine.
Whoops, I must have neglected to say that my current computer is NOT a laptop, it's a desktop, and I need a laptop for my new job. Thus, the laptop search.

Now different friends are emailing me about all the various problems they've had with their Dells, scaring me off that direction. I will check out the Lenovo you mentioned, JimPA.

And at this price point, I guess I could look at Mac - Jean-Pierre, but it's really more than $1000 for what I want and that's way over my budget. Though I just looked at a review of your machine online. Oooh lala. Very nice. I'm almost tempted. Almost. Hmmmm, maybe a refurb Mac selling at a discount?

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 09-16-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:21 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You should hold out until they come with Vista installed. I have a Gateway that I have had for 3 years. I haul it around in my suitcase all the time when I fly somewhere and its been problem free. Most of the parts are not brand name specific but come from the same Chinese/India/Singapore factories.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 AM
red89
Racer

New Apple laptops soon. Look for Price breaks on old and new.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._in_weeks.html
Old 09-16-2009, 11:16 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

--> https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...ns-please.html
Old 09-16-2009, 11:19 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Startup or not..........YOU need the laptop to show/demonstrate HIS product/service? I cannot imagine putting an employee in the position of footing the whole bill. For anything more than a uniform, etc. Now if the back end is worth fronting some costs, yeah different story.

I've been looking around since I'm in a similar situation of needs/wants. My HP pretty much gave up on the hardware side earlier this year. (I bought a netbook for traveling last Christmas, and it works great for what it is. But you can't use it day to day.) Wandered through Best Buy last weekend and they had some closeout Compaq/HP/Toshiba models in the sub $400 range. Yeah, they'll have Vista with no included Windows 7 upgrade. But I'm sure something like that will serve you fine for the time being.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

One way to save on Mac computers (and ipods, etc) is buy refurb models at the Apple.com site. I bought a macbook and saved $300 over the cost of new. And it is no different than a new model.

I agree, they are expensive. And a bit frustrating to migrate to if you are accustomed to PCs. But they are much more logical and the lack of virus software is a life changing experience.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:47 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spent 8 years in the PC business---worked for Gateway from 1992-2000. Most of my focus was on laptops.

I have a Sony Vio, Gateway, Acer Netbook, and an HP. I have owned at least a dozen computures in the past decade and at the end of the day, they all work pretty good.

Dell, Sony, Gateway, Acer (which owns Gateway), HP---they dont make anything. They are just assemblers and many share common parts.

Serivce and support are the #1 things to look for in my opinion. Dell does a good job with my experience over the years. What you listed is just fine and is a solid notebook.

Vista is a POS in my opinion and I refuse to load it.

As for Mac vs. PC---I could care less and have used them both over the years. I just want something that is reliable, speedy, and good support contract.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:19 PM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope this helps since no one has even mentioned these.

I've had to have notebooks for my work for so many years I can't figure out when I got my first one. After I don't know how many Dells I've owned I saw a great deal on a Toshiba Satellite notebook w/ Intel Duo and bought it for my daughter who needed a new PC. She was too attached to her desktop while still a senior in HS and couldn't make the switch. Bought her a new desktop and started using the Toshiba myself.

This thing has been unbelievably reliable. 2 years ago I sent her off to college back east with a similar Toshiba. I've had to be the IT guy for our family forever. In 2 years she's never called with an issue or question. My son just entered a boys prep school where everything is done on a tablet PC including all of the textbooks. After trial and error in finding the one that would stand up to the abuse of male adolescents they have finally settled on, you guessed it, Toshiba.

Next time you're waiting for a plane look around at the "road warriors" (male and female) in their suits to see what they're using. Toshibas are everywhere in that setting.

(Above typed and entered on Toshiba Satellite through Verizon wireless card). I love this notebook
Old 09-16-2009, 02:34 PM
tbil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The R&D budget for HP notebooks is in the 10's of millions, built in China yes, along with just about every IT product in the world. Quality, support, performance all outstanding with the 5 or 6 I've had over the past years. Deals are out there, black Friday will be huge if you can wait a couple of months.

Last edited by tbil; 09-16-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:36 PM
ronnie3585
Advanced

Once you go Mac you won't go back.

Quick Reply: OT: RE-Edit - Mac Pro Book Pro 15" or 17" OR iMac 24" to view Rennlist faster? :o)