Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:08 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Kerscher KRS 18" "Speedline Lookalike" wheels

Hi All,

Thought this may be of interest.

As far as I know I may be the only one on the board that has gone this route.

Ive always liked the look of the RH 3.6 alloys. However I have read on rennlist that these wheels are heavy, prone to bending (soft) and can leak (sealing issues between the 3 pieces). A number of posts suggested that Kerscher in Germany makes a superior vrsion of these design - although I have yet to identify a 993 owner who has these wheels....

I contacted Emmi (Managing director) E.Kerscher@kerscher-tuning.de of Kerscher by email and I must say her help was invaluable, her english excellent and like most Germans she was precise, efficent and knowledgeable in the product and application. I have always liked how the RH 3.6 have such an aggressive offset and stance - making a NB 993 look like a Turbo or GT2 in appearance. I thus went for her recommendation in offset. I specified a custom coloured centre in P61W the official Porsche colour Stahlgrau which was used on factory GT2 wheel centres and C2S Vesuvious anniversary. The build time was six weeks as these are totally custom built. The price was very fair - 2100 euro for the wheels, 200 euro for the custom coloured centres and 200 euro to have them shipped by DHL half way around the world!

I have yet to recieve the wheels but have recieved the pictures below taken before they were shipped afew days back. The pictures werent taken in natural light but I think youll get the idea - they can only look even better in the flesh I suspect. I intend to have them fitted in Feb along with some other modifications and will post pictures then.

The specifics are as follows:

Kerscher KRS style 18” rims for 1994 Porsche 993 Coupe
HIGH WHEEL CENTRE custom coloured P61W
SILVER LIP POLISHED
Front 8Jx18 offset 48mm - weight 9.75kg each
Rear 10,5Jx18 offset 54mm - weight 10.75kg each

These wheels will be fitted on HD Bilstein/MO30 running 10mm above RS specs with solid shims and adjustable RS sway bars. Tyres are the new Bridgestone RE11 225/265. There is a fair chance we will need some camber and to roll the rear fenders to get these sitting comfortably without rubbing. I dont want to turn this thread into a debate about fitment - Ive done alot of my own research (the RH3.6 run similar rear offset) and Emmi is confident in her recommendations - Ive run agressive offset on the vehicle at RS+15-20mm with no issue in the past few years. Well give them a try and made adjustments as necessary - if they just dont work ill let you all know.....

In the meantime enjoy the pics and if you contact Emmi at Kerscher just let her know the Kiwi guy sent you - it would be nice for her to know the power of this board for her small bespoke european company which by the looks has been making fantastic tuning products for German cars for over 20 years!

Enjoy :-)
Attached Images    
Old 12-19-2009, 11:26 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks good. I can't wait to see them on.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by FisterD
Looks good. I can't wait to see them on.
Me too
Old 12-19-2009, 11:54 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Me too
Me 3.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:00 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

You are a model citizen. May you and your 993 enjoy them in good health.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

Very nice!
Be careful when installing / removing the Kerscher wheels - the lug holes are smaller than most & leave little room for error. I'd recommend using a nylon soft socket so you don't scratch or chip that nice custom finish!
Old 12-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Nurburger,

Thanks for the advice. I did notice the lug holes are not as flared as other similar designs and was wondering this myself. Ive treated the wheels to a new set of OEM lug nuts and locking nuts. While I was at it I bought the soft socket you refer to so will use that for final fitment of the wheels when the tires have been mounted and balanced. From experience I prefer to put the nuts on myself as it is east to also damage the finish on the alloy lug nuts and they are expensive....I guess Ill be continuing that behaviour with these..

Have you owned similar Kerscher wheels yourself in the past? How did you find them?

Thanks
Old 12-20-2009, 08:08 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Wow!
Old 12-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the compliments guys. Much appreciated. It took alot of courage to a). order new wheels from Germany without seeing them on the car or having any direct feedback from others and b). choosing to do with the deviation centre piece colour. So far (from the pictures) I am very happy on both quality and optic accounts. I guess the proof will be when the wheels actually arrive.

One of the porsche cars that gave me the inspiration for my new project was the 1993 Boxster concept which features similar wheels and deviating colour detailing in bumper and side vents. Nice.

Cheers
Attached Images    
Old 12-21-2009, 09:58 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Those look great! I have a set of Kinesis supercups that I recently purchased and was considering a similar color deviation.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice looking wheels Macca!
Looking forward to more pics when they are on.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

They look great! I was just thinking how I would love the RS Speedlines with that color or black centers.......
Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I like the colour too. To be fair I was trying to keep my these all "porsche" by using a period factory colour. Just so happens this was the sme colour used in the centres of the factory GT2 993 alloys. As my car is midnight blue I used the attached pics as some of my inspiration (looks really good on yellow too!):
Attached Images    
Old 12-22-2009, 12:59 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

That GT2 looks so hot. My car is midnight blue too, and If I ever bend the sheetmetal, I'm going to build a clone of the car you just posted!

Quick Reply: Kerscher KRS 18" "Speedline Lookalike" wheels