Sponsored by: DashLynx

Learned something new about my Stoneguards

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 12:50 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Learned something new about my Stoneguards

I ordered a new set thinking they were discolored as they don't match the Polar Silver 100%. I started to peel one a bit to see how hard removal was going to be and I think they are silver and not clear! Perhaps I should leave them on. Clear guards would look better wouldn't they?

ps car is on a 2 post lift here
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think my new clear ones from FD motorsports look much better. My old ones always looked "off". But the new ones you can hardly see!

before:

After:
Old 01-26-2010, 01:07 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine were guards red not clear as well, took almost 2 hours to get one side off, due to the stone chips in them it kept tearing..... There should be a set for me in the "package" as well...

I was going to say something about the SUV ride height.....
Old 01-26-2010, 01:32 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nollie
I think my new clear ones from FD motorsports look much better. My old ones always looked "off". But the new ones you can hardly see!
That was my experience exactly, as well. BTW, any Seattle 'listers who don't feel like doing this job, Eurotech (Kirkland) get their 993 Stoneguards from FDM.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:31 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed. I replaced one a while ago (before I knew about FDM clears...) and they definitely don't match up. Even worse, after a couple of AX events, I'm finding peeling on the new one where I've pulled off the blue painter's tape. I don't think it is just wax peeling up.... grrr...

Nollie, as I was scrolling down, I thought your 2nd picture must be the "after removal of factory stoneguard, before FDM stoneguard" picture and there would be a 3rd pic below! That is just pretty....show's off her curves a bit more naturally! I'm sold...that's the way to go when I get around to swapping the guards out.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:13 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nollie
That is a big improvement! Looks great.

Originally Posted by trophy
Mine were guards red not clear as well, took almost 2 hours to get one side off, due to the stone chips in them it kept tearing..... There should be a set for me in the "package" as well...

I was going to say something about the SUV ride height.....
That shot was taken during its' PPI in Phoenix. The SUV height was rectified last winter thankfully.

The guards are in great condition otherwise and the passenger side guard started to peel off nicely but I stopped when I noticed that it was silver. I then took off to Canadian Tire for a bottle of Goo Be Gone and some new plastic scrapers just in case. I have cupboards full of chemicals but its hard to know which ones will be gentle on the paint.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:22 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Min would have been easy if there were not so many stone chips in it. I used a heat gun on low just to warm up the glue, no scrapers needed. When I had an area that was sans chips it came off really easily, and left very little glue. In the end a quick wipe with a paint cleaner and all was looking good.

If yours are in good condition they should come off relativly easily with a little warmth.....
Old 01-26-2010, 11:22 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had Mark at Eurotech replace mine about a year ago. They are a perfect match.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:23 PM
rc1320
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting... looks like I know what is next on my list. Did he order them for you?

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
I had Mark at Eurotech replace mine about a year ago. They are a perfect match.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:13 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

+1 on the clear guards. The look MUCH "cleaner" and future chips are not that obvious.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:40 PM
dave911rsr
Advanced

thanks guys, think I'll order some from FD. They have good DYI instructions on removal and installation of the stone guards. Mine are already off but I could use some new ones. I don't drive it much anyway, mostly on the track and there I just use white racers tape all over the car. Works great. Peel it off Sunday and looks like you just waxed it.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 PM
tdarby
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 1 silver and 1 clear. the silver looks good on artic. do they still sell them in silver
Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 AM
manila3
Instructor

But if someone wants the original stone guard for a polar silver car, where can we get one?

Thanks.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:11 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by manila3
But if someone wants the original stone guard for a polar silver car, where can we get one?
I have Porsche originals, both sides. I may be interested in selling them.

Andreas
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by dave911rsr
thanks guys, think I'll order some from FD. They have good DYI instructions on removal and installation of the stone guards. Mine are already off but I could use some new ones. I don't drive it much anyway, mostly on the track and there I just use white racers tape all over the car. Works great. Peel it off Sunday and looks like you just waxed it.
Dave - where do you get your tape? I always have issues with glue residue of the racer tape that I get at my local shop. Cleaning is a PITA ...

Thanks

Quick Reply: Learned something new about my Stoneguards