My New Front License Plate Solution

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Nuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New Front License Plate Solution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0RDOBicX2g

Thought I'd give the Altec Show 'N Go a try.

Manual version costs around $50 and fully automated version goes for about $150.

The install was pretty easy. Didn't take any installation photos as the install was basically like the instructions.

Biggest downside was that I had to remove my front protection bar. That and the occasional scrape of the license plate.

Installation details:

Drilled two small holes under the bumper and inserted the included rubber gaskets. For the rear hole, I used the center bolt hole from the FPB.

Attached the license plate bracket assembly to the three connection points.

Had a spare Add-a-Fuse circuit so ran a wire from the fuse box to the front trunk area by the spare tire. Mounted the Altec remote receiver box and then ran the wires through a drain hole by the spare tire to the motor of the license plate assembly.

Hooked it all up and it works! Kit comes with 2 remotes.

The assembly does hang below the car (less than an inch). It's better to drive with the license plate showing. With the license plate showing, the assembly is only about 1/2 an inch below the car.

It is pretty cool to "hide" your front plate once you park. Then "unhide" it when you drive to avoid tickets.

We'll see how long it lasts ....
Old 03-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 382 Posts

So it's only purpose is to hide it when parking - I don't get it.

Maybe a better purpose would be unhide when you get pulled over.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Nuff
Racer

Not much to get. You can hide it when parking or driving or whenever you want. I normally run without a front plate. Local police are starting to give out more tickets.

I don't like the location of the front plate and prefer the location of the IC plate. They don't make 'em anymore, so this was my next solution.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:44 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 189 Posts

It's a working solution if front license plate laws are strictly enforced in your area and you don't want to deface the front of your car. Won't work for me because of the combination of PSS9 and the slope of my driveway...
Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. I don't run a front plate but one of these days I'm sure I will get dinged.

Thanks for sharing!

Bob-
Old 03-03-2010, 03:57 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They need to make one for the back too.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:59 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Old 03-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Nuff
Racer

They do!

http://www.trydeal.com./

No affiliation!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Nuff
Racer

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
I like it. I don't run a front plate but one of these days I'm sure I will get dinged.

Thanks for sharing!

Bob-
I didn't use front plates when I was in Northern California. But now that I live in Hawaii, I'm finding that Honolulu is a small town! I see the same police officers every day. I see the same Pcars around town. It's much harder to hide over here!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

That's really cool. Thanks for posting it.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:42 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Very COOL.. I'll send that to my OH Friends
Old 03-03-2010, 11:22 PM
brucec59
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That's cool, but one good scrape and the whole $150 thing will be removed from your car - along with your plate! I run a front license plate mounted a bit lower than normal. Sure, the car looks better without a front plate, but that's just not an option.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:52 AM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

+1
Old 03-04-2010, 12:08 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, you need it for parking in LA (city, and likely the surrounding communities). First, I was warned by friends down there about front plate enforcement by the meter maids. Then, Karen's BMW was ticketed late on a Saturday afternoon in a residential neighborhood a few months ago.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:35 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
Actually, you need it for parking in LA (city, and likely the surrounding communities). First, I was warned by friends down there about front plate enforcement by the meter maids. Then, Karen's BMW was ticketed late on a Saturday afternoon in a residential neighborhood a few months ago.
Up until last July only sworn police officers in the State of Ca were allowed to ticket you for not displaying your front plates and some officers have used it as probable cause to pull you over but most didn't care one way or another.

But in it's infinite wisdom (oxymoron), the state changed that law so all Parking Enforcement Officers (people who couldn't meet the sworn police officer requirements) in the State can now ticket parked cars for non display of front plates. Here in my neighborhood they handed out about 30 tickets in less than a week and actually got one of my cars twice in 4 days.

I'm still fighting the parking authority on the second one since they gave me the first on Thursday (DMV in CA is not open on Fridays anymore) and the second on the following Monday not even allowing me the normal 30 days to correct an equipment violation.

I appealed it once and they claimed it was a valid ticket so the fight goes on. The fine is only $10.00 but for me it's a matter of making the parking authority honor the states 30 day grace period to correct equipment violations without fear of additional fines.

Once I have ended the battle I will post the results..............ZP44

Quick Reply: My New Front License Plate Solution