Any progress with this project?
+993

waiting
Old 06-24-2010, 05:17 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by NineMeister
No, it's nothing to do with the heads. When we did the first 9m 993VR+2 conversion we stripped down the intake manifold and discovered an "anomaly" with the profile of the port which we removed. Not thinking that this was overly significant, on the next conversion we did a back-to-back test and discovered a slight but useful gain from the modification, so we now do it as a matter of course.
my guess this could be beneficial in normal to cold climates, but not in Texas
polishing the port ( and I cannot imagine what else could be done to a 3 mm wall tube) will enhance flow
but augments and retains temperature more.
The warmer the climate, the higher the temperature difference between polished ports and not polished.
the varioram long legs are here to cool air intake and thus more dense air.
polished surface retains more heat than porous, and gets hotter.
I hope I am wrong
Old 06-24-2010, 05:26 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
my guess this could be beneficial in normal to cold climates, but not in Texas
polishing the port ( and I cannot imagine what else could be done to a 3 mm wall tube) will enhance flow
but augments and retains temperature more.
The warmer the climate, the higher the temperature difference between polished ports and not polished.
the varioram long legs are here to cool air intake and thus more dense air.
polished surface retains more heat than porous, and gets hotter.
I hope I am wrong
I don't think what 9M suggested has anything to do with polishing. When I took my vram intake apart, I find that the inner profile of the intake tube doesn't quite match up with the rubber coupler. In short, the inner shape of the tube was not quite round. A little bit of sandpaper (didn't have a flap wheel) fixed it.

I also lightly sanded the tubes to get things a bit smoother than the rough cast that was originally there. Not sure if that helped or hurt.

But now my car felt like it had 30 more horses under the bonnet!!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 AM
fluke
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update...

Firstly - apologies for the lack of photos so far. I do have some pics which I think would be of some interest - I'll probably be able to get round to posting them on Friday.

The build is now complete - billet heads, valves, springs and cams fitted, 102 pistons and barrels fitted, lightweight flywheel and clutch fitted, manifold modified, and the whole lump re-assembled and back in the car. Oh, and 100 cell cats.

The car is running, but the live re-map hasn't been done yet, so its not particularly pleasant to drive and output hasn't been 'optimised'.

I understand from 9M that the car is with the re-map expert now, but tbh am not sure how long he's going to be. I'd love to say I'll have the car back by the end of this week, but if this build has taught me anything its not to get too wedded to deadlines!

All the other bits and pieces (top mounts etc) have been done, so once the re-map is complete, all that remains is for it to pass the emissions bit of the MOT, and get past the 200 miles running in stage - then she's mine again!

To say I am excited would be an understatement.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 PM
fluke
Track Day

So...some pics
Attached Images      
Old 07-02-2010, 10:49 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

ooooh nice! What type of P/C's?
The heads are a work of art.

What part of the world are you in?
Old 07-03-2010, 04:37 AM
fluke
Track Day

I believe the pistons & barrels are manufactured for 9m to their own specification.

They take the engine up to a 3.8l capacity. Not sure I can tell you very much more, but Colin may be along to shed more light?

I live pretty close to 9m - they've done all the maintenance on the car for me for the past 7 years or so...
Old 07-05-2010, 02:48 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you willing to post some more details such as; build list, costs, dyno figures, etc...? I'm also planning on doing the same upgrade.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:06 PM
fluke
Track Day

Originally Posted by alexl911
Are you willing to post some more details such as; build list, costs, dyno figures, etc...? I'm also planning on doing the same upgrade.
Build list goes something like this:

Costs are probably best discussed directly with 9m, but suffice to say you could comfortably buy another decent (high mileage) 993 for similar money, for the full build, once you've added on VAT etc.

Don't know for definite what the dyno is going to say, and to be honest I'm not that fussed - more interested in how its going feel from behind the wheel - but I'd expect peak power between 350-360, and with a much fatter mid-range. Colin was indicating peak torque north of 300 lb/ft, which sounds high to me - but as I say I'm more interested in how it feels to drive.

Good luck with your decision!
    Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM
    fluke
    Track Day

Got it!

Delighted to report I took delivery of the car last night after a process that took a little longer than anticpated...but boy am I plesed with the results!

First things first - on start up the car fairly explodes into life, the combination of 100 cell cats and RSR mufflers means there is a really sharp, crackly gargle to the exhaust note, and the lightweight flywheel means a little throttle is needed for a few seconds, on cold start at least, until it reaches a steady idle.

Low speed manouvres reward you with more crackly gargling - the engine is perfectly tractable. Driving through a built up area attracted a few more than the usual glances, and set off one or two car alarms - lifting off the throttle also produced a few gentle pops from the exhaust, at least before the engine was up to full temperature - didn't notice it later on in the drive.

Onto more open roads and at cruising speed the noise is not really at all intrusive inside the car - which is great as this was something I was concerned about.

I've not really floored it in the first two gears yet, so couldn't really comment on increased responsiveness from the lightweight flywheel, although I did notice that rev-matching with my very clumsy heel and toe technique is going to take some recalibrating as the revs do seem to rise and fall more quickly than I'm used to. Mind you I've been driving a Ford Fiesta courtesy car with unsympathetic pedal spacings for the past few months so maybe I'm just out of practice generally...

Third and fourth gears though...wow. The biggest difference is the way the speedo rushes round the dial - Colin did mention that the fatter mid-range means there is less of a sensation of top end rush when you're pushing on, and he's right - but on a couple of overtakes, and on a later run on a local dual carriageway, the effortless gathering of speed, and the way you arrive at the next braking point earlier than anticipated is undeniable.

Unsurprisingly, given the extra torque, the over-riding impression is of a mighty deep-chestedness, a combination of the way speed piles on even on part throttle and the almost V8 like gurgle from the exhaust.

Its brill. I love it.

The numbers - Colin's dyno on 4 consecutive runs yesterday midday was showing 352-354 bhp, and 324-327 lb/ft - which are bang in line with, and slightly in excess of my expectations respectively.

The best bit is that I was resigned to missing out on an annual road trip to the North West coast of Scotland, scheduled for this weekend - which I will now be able to make. I can't think of a better way to bond with my new/old car.

The car is still on the running-in oil, so the final 'i' to dot is to pop into 9m tomorrow morning, change the oil and then off I head to bonny Scotland.

Sorry for the ramble!
    The following users liked this post:
    JZ98-993 (09-28-2019)
    Old 08-05-2010, 12:22 PM
    AOW162435
    Seared
    Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Fluke,
    Wonderful write-up. Enjoy the beast!

Andreas
    Old 08-05-2010, 01:05 PM
    geordie
    Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swoon ..... Don't forget to send us some Bonny Scotland postcard pics of the motor.

Enjoy!
    Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 PM
    timothymoffat
    Rennlist Member

Received 986 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by fluke
    The numbers - Colin's dyno on 4 consecutive runs yesterday midday was showing 352-354 bhp, and 324-327 lb/ft - which are bang in line with, and slightly in excess of my expectations respectively.
    Holy HP Fluke!
    I'm gonna go for a nap and dream of 9M motors, G50/32 gearboxes, and LWF/RS clutches wrapped up in my cars.
    Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 PM
    LA964RS
    Drifting

Excellent...post a pic of your car....
    Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 AM
    Nickmysta
    Racer

Congratulations on the build. I am anxious to hear your impressions once you get to floor it in first and second.

Quick question: did they change the piston rods and bolts, or did they leave stock?

Also, did you discuss Motec with Colin? If so, any idea how much more you could squeeze out of the engine?

I have purchased a stage 2 kit from 9m, but I am seriously considering going straight to stage 3 instead (kit is not yet shipped).

Quick Reply: 9M build