Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
I went with one 10"...killer

Hmmmmm?
But the first part of my plan involves you actually...
Make your (rather large please) check out to Andy Boesky... and mail it to...
If your check does not arrive soon I will just have to save my pennies and enjoy what I have for now.

The check part Bob...the Check!
Old 06-04-2010, 10:10 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ABCar
The check part Bob...the Check!
Duh....

yea, it's in the mail
Attached Images     
Old 06-04-2010, 10:21 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

What is that Bob? a sub enclosure? Or, a new racing seat for your go cart?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

What is that Bob? a sub enclosure? Or, a new racing seat for your go cart?
Sub enclosure. My 1st time working with fiberglass. It's not pretty but turned out great. My car still stinks from the fiberglass odor....ugh!

The go cart gonna get a good pounding tomorrow

Bob-
Old 06-04-2010, 12:36 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Wow. That's awesome.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Nice...
dont forget to post pictures of the finished product.

PS time to celebrate my 400th post!
Old 06-04-2010, 01:02 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Nice...
dont forget to post pictures of the finished product.

PS time to celebrate my 400th post!
Here is the final product.

The first pic is with a flash and makes it stand out. The second pic is w/o flash and is more representative of the final look.

Most folks don't know it is even there. It's pretty invisible other than the thunder it emits.

Bob-
Attached Images   
Old 06-04-2010, 01:41 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

So you just have one big boy that is "molded" in the shape of the back seat? How is the sound and are there other issues that you learned about after the fact?

Looks Good Bob!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:29 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

So you just have one big boy that is "molded" in the shape of the back seat? How is the sound and are there other issues that you learned about after the fact?

Looks Good Bob!
Yes I have 1 custom molded sub. The sub is a 10" diameter Dayton Reference Series

What I learned:
  • I highly recommend sound deadening on the door panels. If it is not quiet to start with, then why bother to upgrade the sound system.
  • the low end sound from the subwoofer is incredible. Door speakers do not reproduce audio below 120 hertz very well.
  • the subwoofer should be crossed at 80 - 100 hertz and at as steep a curve as possible. I used 12dB/ octave. My amp has a built in crossover and was able to dial in the optimum crossover point. The slope was fixed at 12bd/octave. 18 or 24 dB/octave would be better.
  • subs use lots of power. Plan to use 2-3 times the amount of power to a subwoofer as you send to the others speakers. For example: I use 200 watts for the front stage. 100 watts per side (L&R). I bridged the other 2 channels of the 4 channel amp and send 200+ watts to the subwoofer (you get a little more than 2x the power when you bridge). Wish I had 300 watts or more
  • working with fiberglass is nasty business. Do this work in a well ventilated area. Outside if possible.
  • I'm a little surprised that no one has produced a mold/enclosure for this type of subwoofer. It makes good use of otherwise useless space.
  • use good quality 12 gauge wire throughout
  • used good quality interconnects (RCA cables). Apparently there is no need for very expensive cables.

Bob-
Old 06-05-2010, 04:03 PM
miaminized
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice subtle solution, blends right in...
Old 02-23-2020, 04:15 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Felt like bringing this thread back from the dead as last post was 9.5 years ago...

In the later 1990s, my dream was for a 911 with McIntosh system. I really like what ABCar did here with the McIntosh receiver... I think these would look great on any 1970s-1990s 911. I would have expected Singer to go this route as well...

Well done ABCar! Your 993 looks amazing.

-Blake
Old 02-23-2020, 04:30 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blake
Felt like bringing this thread back from the dead as last post was 9.5 years ago...

In the later 1990s, my dream was for a 911 with McIntosh system. I really like what ABCar did here with the McIntosh receiver... I think these would look great on any 1970s-1990s 911. I would have expected Singer to go this route as well...

Well done ABCar! Your 993 looks amazing.

-Blake
Thanks Blake...I still have the McIntosh but I took it out and will use it in another application...maybe my E30 M3.
I wanted more versatility and installed a system from Rod Birch. Alpine Deck/Alpine Amp/Focal speakers/2 rear floor 8” subs Car audio innovations Rod Birch
Rod was a big help on the phone when I needed help with my install. I do miss the old school look and feel of the McIntosh.
Cheers!
Old 02-23-2020, 07:39 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear that you are still refining the model, and equally important still driving your 993! I'm seriously considering making a 964 RS America my DD, and want to outfit it with a retro-911 look - but am comfortable collapsing different decades of technology.

For those that have never listened to a McIntosh system, you are missing out. In the late 1990s/early 2000s, it was the mod of choice by professional musicians in their 911s (993/996) and the pics of the "frunk" fitted with McIntosh Amps was almost like artwork. Sure, the mainstream copied it probably as a show of wealth - but that never mattered to me. The point was that people used to customize their cars (steering wheels, audio, performance, etc.) and I think that uniqueness is lacking in today's automobiles.

Thanks for posting the pics of your 993 dash... I have already sent some IMs to some Rennlist friends and it made their Sunday!
Old 02-23-2020, 07:43 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Well, now you have me thinking of re-installing. Thanks! It was a great analouge sound...and look.
Maybe I can get the right cables and just plug in like the old days.

Quick Reply: Audio question...Mcintosh