993 Forum 1995-1998

Semi OT: Tools, tips and tricks

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Semi OT: Tools, tips and tricks

I've been meaning to post this for a few weeks, maybe others will have something to add.

Photo 1: A mini pry-bar I found at Lowes (<$4), great for getting you the gap needed to replace the trim gasket piece between the front fenders and the lower windshield body.
- 1/4" driver set w/ flex extension and 7mm socket. I use this for removing hose clamps, much better than a screwdriver esp. back on the inner MAF clamp.
- Spark plug sockets, magnetic and you don't have to tape the socket to the extension

Photo 2: I use the bolts with the (??) to measure ride height and then use the caliper to measure the length of the bolt, it gives me my ride height. 1 for front and 1 for rear. The other is a self made Hazlet tool for Bilstein strut nuts, 7/8" Lowes socket cut with a air die cut tool.

Photo 3: crows foot flare sockets, Triple square sockets, metric wrenches (purchased for torsion bar suspension system on my former '88 cab). Still use them occasionally.

Photo 4: Extension mag pickup w/ LED light, Sears bolt-out (just used on my 30k mi. service since 1 dist. cap screw wouldn't come loose)
Sears bend light (LED)

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:04 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I love tools, nice collection you have there.....

I just added a kinematic toe tool to my collection and in the process of making a setup for string lines...

Great idea for measuring the ride height with the "Coupling" nuts...
Old 04-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice tools Here's my odds and ends.

Picture 1: long "grabber" to get that nut you dropped when replacing the front hood strut, extending mirror to check hard to see places... maybe finding a nut you dropped when replacing the front hood struts, a curry comb to scrape rocks and picked up rubber off your Hoosier A6s after an autox, and finally a 1" crow foot ground down thin and to 27mm to get that SAI check valve off while the engine is in the car.

Picture 2: my favorite "bought this silly thing and might use it a couple times" tool, the crankshaft pulley holding wrench Porsche tool #9548

Old 04-09-2010, 09:19 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed my new suspension over the winter and accumulated some tools. I always end up spending money on tools when I do a job myself...trading labor costs for permanent collection of tools always a good thing.
I recently bought a set of bolt out tools from craftsman similar to yours...sure enough, needed them last night for bumperette removal...worked like a charm.

Two things I find indespensible in my garage....

1. Bench Grinder...
I use it all the time for home and car. Most recent use? Sharpening my daughters extra large colored pencils that dont fit into any sharpener.

2. Air compressor.
Most recent use? Drying out the inside of my headlight lenses after a thorough cleaning (a job I know every 993 owner will appreciate after they see thier nice gleaming headlights in the sunlight for the first time!)

Next on my list are some High Quality calipers for exact measuring.
Good post!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:01 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Some specialized tools i've made for home projects. I really enjoy making such tools, many of which I dont have images for.

Here are some that I do have images of:

Billet F-car O/F socket

360 pilot shaft

360 slave cylinder wrench -- this was before welding -- this bolt is a royal pain to get at

F-car flywheel lock (copy of another tool)

F-car tensioner adjustment tool (copy of another tool)

Wing element profile checking tool

I'll try to find some more cool tools
Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Why are you needing to make all those F-car tools Chris???

Must be nice to have CAD help making custom tools.....

I have a BMW K bike motorcycle oil filter that looks much like your F-car oil filter.

I forgot to include the 1" to 27mm ground crows foot for SAI valve, it works great.

I'm anxiously awaiting Andreas' contribution to this thread, I bet he's got some good ones.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:13 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Now thats just showing off Chris....... Nice work, wish I had the shop and the skill to do stuff like that. Love the billet o/f wrench, I would buy one of those bad boys...
Old 04-09-2010, 08:10 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 826 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Nollie
Nice tools Here's my odds and ends.

Picture 2: my favorite "bought this silly thing and might use it a couple times" tool, the crankshaft pulley holding wrench Porsche tool #9548

Nice i just used something similar when we replaced a front seal on a 996 GT3

i'll add one of mine, a 800 ft lb Tq wrench.
Stop by if you ever need your axle shaft nuts Tq'd
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2010, 08:20 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The snap on/blue point triple square alternator shaft tool in this link is sweet.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:39 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Home made Porsche tools, cave man style

Old 10-20-2015, 08:53 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yep, pulling out an old thread. Good tips, any new ones come to mind?
Mine - Brake job, cleanup / detail time. soap , cleaner & water, not good on the garage floor. use an under bed storage box to catch the runoff. like this one. Just dump after you finish.

Also works GREAT when taking off the small oil filter to catch the unorganized drips and rivers of oil. And you can just drop the filter in for later disposal.

Quick Reply: Semi OT: Tools, tips and tricks