Sponsored by: DashLynx

Left front sunroof drain

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:39 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left front sunroof drain

I located a leak in my car, a 97 993 C2. If you take a straw and insert it into the left front sunroof drain and pour water into it, water will enter the vehicle from behind the clutch pedal or near the left foot rest area. Looking at PET the drain tube passes through a grommet but I can not tell if the drain tube exits the vehicle or is connected to the AC water drainage system. Searched the forums, lots of info but I could not find where the drain tube connects to exit the vehicle. Does anybody know or have a diagram they can post?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2010, 12:48 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe, and could be mistaken, the water drains out through a tube on the body of the car just in front of the driver's (or passenger's) door. The tube can be seen if you open the door and take a flashlight and look down at the opening. It is better seen if standing outside the car with the door open. Actually I don't believe you can see it sitting in the car as the front of the door, when open, obscures the plastic tube.

If you do a search on the 993 forum with "Door Squeak" in the title you will find reference to someone posting that the plastic tube is for drainage (perhaps the roof drain?)

You could try to introduce water into the front passenger's side drain tube and see if it comes out of that tube on the passenger's side. At least you would know where the water drains to if water comes out.

Like I said I may be wrong but it is worth a try.

Best of luck!
Old 05-20-2010, 11:39 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

The leak is entering the car above the front trunk release. Removed the trunk release handle, carpet panel, and the duct work behind the panel. A small opening in the sheet metal that has cables (I think they are the cables from the driver side door) is the point of entry of the water. It is impossible to get a view or picture of the area. I can feel what I think is the drain tube and it is wet after I pour a little water down the driver side drain tube.

The prior owner had a shop fix the door catch and I think they dislodged or cut the drain tube when they remove the door. The drain tube is not visible from the the exterior of the car.

I am going to order a new set of 3 sunroof seals to improve the looks of the car and reduce the amount of water entering the car. I will also order a new drain tube at $2.00 but it will be impossible to install. I will be able to measure the drain tube an might be able to put an insert/sleeve into/over the cut drain tube and fix it that way. If anybody has a different fix, let me know.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:36 PM
bpras@msn.com
Instructor

Resolved the leak. The drain tube is supposed to go through a grommet in an outer panel and drain to the ground. During some prior repair (probably the door hinge ) the hose was pulled out from the grommet and was draining directly into the car right above the front trunk lever. The repair is simple, pull out the wiring cover from the door hinge, reach in with a pair of curved forceps, pull the hose gently out, and reinsert it through the grommet. You can see the hose in the photo below. It was not possible to get a shot of the grommet but it sits above the wiring harness. Took about 3 hours to figure it out and about 5 minutes to fix.
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2023, 12:05 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice work, Colombo!
Old 08-19-2023, 05:02 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 232 Posts

Another decades old thread FTW

Quick Reply: Left front sunroof drain