993 Forum 1995-1998

HID FOGS...B4 & AFTER

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:31 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HID FOGS...B4 & AFTER

Finally took the time to instal my HID fogs from DDM tuning.
Simple instal...Here is the how to thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-fog-test.html

Before and after is great...especially if you have HID headlights...dim yellow fogs just do not cut it...the matching color and brightness now bring the car up to a clean and modern look...not to mention the great light.
Make sure you take the time to clean out the inside of the fog lenses...mine were filthy (some dis-assembly required but not difficult)...aim and shoot.
Attached Images   
Old 05-22-2010, 07:56 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Sweet! I just installed the same last week.

Andreas
Old 05-22-2010, 08:05 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

BTW, I was just "in there" today doing an LED bulb swap on the positioning lights (another big improvement in lighting color) and noticed that the double sided tape scheme for attaching the ballast/ignitors to the frame totally FAILED on both sides. Next time I have access to a lift I'm gonna pull the corner valances and re-do the attachment in some other way.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:31 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

There is a space above the bumper. When you remove the foglight fixture you can reach in (palm up) and your fingers will go into a space. Wrap your fingers around the edge so that your fingertips are essentially above the space occupied by the foglight fixture. I cleaned this as good as I could with simple green and double sticked the ballast up there. Thanks for your initial DIY JPP...forgot to give credit!
Old 05-23-2010, 01:55 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Here are a few DIY photos of my HID Hella DE fog light installation ... easy with the bumper off ...
Attached Images         
Old 05-23-2010, 02:24 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I tucked the ballasts between the bumper plastic and the bumper beam - directly under where the foglight housing sits. Very snug.

Andreas
Old 05-23-2010, 02:45 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great! But, from a functional perspective, shouldn't fogs be yellow-ish? I always understood a white light just lit up the fog vs. yellow projecting through it. I know this may be more style vs. function, but living near a sometimes very foggy coast I've opted to stay with the non-HID fogs. Just curious...
Old 05-23-2010, 09:06 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Yes, that is true. The "yellowish" tint of the stock lights do not really qualify as yellow fog-cutting lights. For that you would need yellow lenses. I tend to use these as driving lights...I like the way they light up the road close to the car while the headlights do the work farther out.

Ironically, on my first nightime test drive with my new lights, it was indeed, foggy. Luckily, I was prepared!
Old 05-23-2010, 01:00 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ABCar
There is a space above the bumper. When you remove the foglight fixture you can reach in (palm up) and your fingers will go into a space. Wrap your fingers around the edge so that your fingertips are essentially above the space occupied by the foglight fixture. I cleaned this as good as I could with simple green and double sticked the ballast up there. Thanks for your initial DIY JPP...forgot to give credit!
No worries. Credit is overrated IMHO ... :-)

Originally Posted by AOW162435
I tucked the ballasts between the bumper plastic and the bumper beam - directly under where the foglight housing sits. Very snug.

Andreas
Both of those solutions sound easy and MUCH better than the one I chose Thanks for the tips, guy's, I'll be revisiting the beast today.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:07 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

I just did the DDM HID fogs last week, and found that the fog bulbs were quite a bit too long for the housings, and it was very difficult to snap the foglight rear covers back on. The back end of the bulbs was sticking well up through the hole you have to drill in the covers, and really straining the wiring grommet. Did you guys have the same experience, or did they send me the wrong bulbs?
Old 05-23-2010, 07:17 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah
I just did the DDM HID fogs last week, and found that the fog bulbs were quite a bit too long for the housings, and it was very difficult to snap the foglight rear covers back on. The back end of the bulbs was sticking well up through the hole you have to drill in the covers, and really straining the wiring grommet. Did you guys have the same experience, or did they send me the wrong bulbs?
It was tight...I pulled the two larger black wires (coming through the back of the snap on cover) tight as I closed and snapped the cover. That seemed to bring it closer to the free space.
I think it should be ok even though there may be some undesireable pushing on the wires inside.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:51 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by epj993
Looks great! But, from a functional perspective, shouldn't fogs be yellow-ish? I always understood a white light just lit up the fog vs. yellow projecting through it. I know this may be more style vs. function, but living near a sometimes very foggy coast I've opted to stay with the non-HID fogs. Just curious...
I now use my fogs as HID driving lights ... almost as bright my HID headlights and they provide excellent peripheral illumination ...
Old 05-24-2010, 12:20 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shouldn't fogs be yellow-ish? I always understood a white light just lit up the fog vs. yellow projecting through it. I know this may be more style vs. function, but living near a sometimes very foggy coast I've opted to stay with the non-HID fogs.
Fog lights are supposed to be low and wide and preferrably yellow so they penetrate the fog (marginally) better. Using HIDs as fogs isn't a great idea IMHO but if you're going to use them as driving lights that's a differnt story - just be carefull not to blind oncoming drivers.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:13 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ABCar
Yes, that is true. The "yellowish" tint of the stock lights do not really qualify as yellow fog-cutting lights. For that you would need yellow lenses. I tend to use these as driving lights...I like the way they light up the road close to the car while the headlights do the work farther out.
Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
Fog lights are supposed to be low and wide and preferrably yellow so they penetrate the fog (marginally) better. Using HIDs as fogs isn't a great idea IMHO but if you're going to use them as driving lights that's a differnt story - just be carefull not to blind oncoming drivers.
When I did this upgrade, I was suprised to find the 'half-lidded' angled reflectors in the stock housings because I thought the whole design was just for show, considering the amount of light the original bulbs produced, so I did a little research on the subject and found out that what I thought I knew about fog lighting was pretty much crap.

Fog is made up of water droplets which reflect light back at you like a mirror. It's the angle and height of the fog lights that allows them to throw light under the fog layer that determines how effective they are. If the light is reflected under the fog layer, the brighter, the better. In the past, it was thought that yellow light would "penetrate" the fog, but the yellow tint just reduced the amount of light being reflected back at the driver and didn't improve illumination. Our well designed foglight housings are mounted low and the reflectors are 'half-lidded' and angled downwards to project the light under the fog layer. Driving lights, on the other hand, have no 'lids' and their reflectors are angled straight out in front to extend and widen visibility. My experience driving in fog with the HID's installed has been excellent so far. As long as the fog is hovering slightly above the road, they work very well. Here's a 'webquote' on the subject:

From "How Do Foglights Work? by Steve Smith"

"Angling for Better Vision

The idea behind fog lights is to reduce the amount of glare thrown back at you. The fog lights are angled downward toward the road at an angle, so when you turn them on, the light is thrown across the road in front of you and not straight ahead of you, where it can be reflected back. The light is not reflected back into their eyes. This gives you some visibility of the roadway, without blinding you. The color of the lights has no bearing on their use in fog. Today, yellow or any other color is not recognized as being "better" at penetrating fog. It may have more use as a safety mechanism for oncoming traffic."
Old 05-24-2010, 01:43 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JPP, good info. I'm not surprised about the yellow not doing much - it's a little like wearing yellow shooting glasses, I suspect the "benefit" is as much pyschological as real improvement. My reluctance to use HIDs in fogs stems largely from there being too much light. Unless the light projects almost entirely under the fog then the water vapor will refract/reflect the brighter light producing more glare and ultimately making it harder to see. Based on where you live I'm sure you know about driving in real fog so you know what it can be like. I guess HID fogs come down to a trade-off, better light if the fog is off the road and more glare if it's on the road. To me the added glare is the greater evil but YMMV.

Quick Reply: HID FOGS...B4 & AFTER