Help re Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 AM
decgraham
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help re Catalytic Converter

Hi all,

I have a 1995 993 Cabriolet that was purchased here in Kuwait. As Kuwait in 1995 was on leaded fuel the car came with an empty (well it's the same shape as the normal CAT) CAT. The exhaust , "CAT section" I have has plugs in the holes where the oxygen sensor and the temp sensor would go.

I will be taking this car to the UK in June / July this year and I will need to have a CAT to pass emission rules . Any idea's how I should go about getting it done? As well as checking out the "CAT" section of the exhaust I had a look in the engine compartment but can not see any additional spare connectors which the 2 sensors might connect up to, does anyone have pictures of the connectors locations and type of fitting? Also FYI, had Porsche here check the CO and it came out at 5.8% well above the 0.5% which is the limit for the UK The car has only done 74K KM and is in tip top shape and runs like a dream having recently been serviced.

Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by decgraham; 05-24-2010 at 02:29 AM. Reason: words missed out
Old 05-24-2010, 05:30 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would purchase some aftermarket 200 cell (German) Sport Cats and have someone weld them into your empty Cat box. That way the car will look stock and it will pass the tail pipe emissions tests.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

5.8 is nasty. If you put cats on, they probably won't last long anyway. Why is it running so rich? Is the diaphram busted in the fuel pressure regulator? Pull the vacuum hose off of the regulator and see if it is full of fuel.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:22 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We can build you 200 cell sport cats that flow more cfm's than your motor can generate and should take care of your problems re:emissions
PM me for info or search DACH here, to answer any questions you may have
Old 05-24-2010, 09:26 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cat may be the least of your problems. Search on old posts for option code 150, and you can read about it some more. Porsche listed a different ECU for option code 150 from 96 on, which I assume had no provision for running in closed loop (but I am not an authority). I don't know how you could have a regular ECU just running open loop without a cat; you'd always have a check engine light.

You might be better off selling the car and buying another in UK.

dave

Quick Reply: Help re Catalytic Converter