Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Crazy 1400 mi road trip this weekend to highest pts in SC, GA & KY.Take 993 or BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:00 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts
Default Crazy 1400 mi road trip this weekend to highest pts in SC, GA & KY.Take 993 or BMW?

http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=12003

Bagging peaks (ok, State Highpoints), it's my side line interest I'd be taking major highways most of the way to cut down on time...

So in my quest to get to the highest point in most of the 50 US States, I'm planning a nutsoid solo road trip from DC to SC leaving this Thursday after work to Sassafras Mtn 3560 ft - beautiful rolling hills (545 miles from DC)

then 106 miles to Georgia's Brasstown Bald the next day in the Blue Ridge Mtns - 4783 ft

lastly, 225 miles to Kentucky's High Point - Black Mtn, 4139 ft. and home - 467 additional miles. Total of 1338 miles, 25+ hours of driving, hours of getting lost, for sure!

I was pretty much going to take the BMW as it's much more comfortable and 2 of these state highpoints require driving up some fairly nastly, potholed roads for the last 1-3 miles before the high point trail head. My BMW has 103k mi and the 993 has 87k mi.

I could take the 993 and just try to be careful on these roads but people talk about bottoming out in their cars on some of these roads and my car is lowered. Also, I have XM in my BMW only so that's an attractive thing to have for solo driving for so many hours. Nothing like uncensored comedy or radio talk shows to while away the hours and interest the brain.

But, taking the 993 could be a cool adventure too as long as I'm careful with the car and don't mind it's smallness and stiffness for such a long drive. First question is does anyone live near the SC (midday Friday July 30th) or KY highpoint (midday Saturday the 31st) that cares to meet me to do the high point together and catch a bite to eat afterwards? I think I have a friend meeting me at the GA highpoint on late Friday afternoon so I'm covered, there. 2nd question, which car to take?
________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

If I make it to the tops of these I'll have done 46% of the State High Points. My next planned trip is much crazier and will catapult me to 50%. I'd be leaving Saturday morning before Thanksgiving, driving 15 hours straight to Alabama's high point, Mt Cheaha - 2407 ft

and then to Florida's high point, Britton Hill (Lowest of the State High Points - 345 ft near Pensacola).

Then straight to Miami to visit my sister for 4 days and then back home. 45 hours of driving, 2750 miles! I never did anything like this before.

Do any of you live near either of these high points (AL or FL)? Maybe we could meet for lunch or dinner depending what time I make it. My buddy that did all the other high points with me (20 so far) can't do them for a while due to just having a baby with his wife, at 49 y.o.!

Thanks guys,
Steve R
Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really? Really??? Do you have to ask??

That's a no-brainer if you are going solo. If my wife was going, I might have to concede to taking one of the more "comfortable" cars, but I'd kill to take a roadtrip like that in the 993.

If you don't, your getting old.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Thats a no-brainer...take the BMW motorcycle.

I've bagged well over over 200 passes and counting.

Can you find the two tunnel entrances?
Old 07-27-2010, 08:56 PM
syzygy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, but I think I see Waldo...
Old 07-27-2010, 09:46 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

I live not too far from the GA peak. The roads are nice and paved in that area with very good twisties.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:50 PM
ozpilot
Intermediate

Have to agree with xlr8. I'd take my 1200RT!
Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 PM
tigerrat
Advanced

Once upon a time I rolled my jeep on Sasafras Mountain. Before the days of rollbars. Be careful. Ken
Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yumyum1667
I live not too far from the GA peak. The roads are nice and paved in that area with very good twisties.
Thanks for that. It's Kentucky's mountain high point road that worried me. Here's a trip report from someone who was there recently:

"I took the road up the mountain, less than 2 lanes wide. Though paved, there were many spots where two vehicles would find it difficult to pass. In fact, some of the pavement was in disrepair and had to be carefully driven to avoid damage to my solitary car. Eventually the road drove past the FAA radar site, and I knew I was close. Continuing on about 0.2mi farther, I came to the turn I knew would take me to the top. The gate was open, but the road was steep and rutty. I thought my car might bottom out, but I tried it anyway. After scraping a couple of mounds in the road, I backed up, parked, and made the ascent on foot. I took a relative altimeter reading (RAR) of 3895ft at the car."

It sounds kind of rough to take a beautiful 993 up... I'd hate to bottom out or scrape my car. I don't suppose anyone lives near KY that's been to this high point to let me know if it's an appropriate road for a nice 993 to head up?
Here's a pic near the "lovely" high point.

Here's South Carolina's description:

"Drove up one of the steepest grades I've ever driven on to reach the top of South Carolina. Not really the prettiest high point but at least there was a register to sign in on and read through. I was accompanied to the summit by about a gajillion blood-thirsty mosquitoes and gnats. My visit was very short!"

Originally Posted by tigerrat
Once upon a time I rolled my jeep on Sasafras Mountain. Before the days of rollbars. Be careful. Ken
Care to share the details of that "rolling of your...Jeep?" Was an altered state of mind involved or did you go off road instead of stay on the main road?

So South Carolina's doesn't sound like a really bad road like Kentucky's high point. Hmmm, decisions.

I don't have a BMW motorcycle by the way, guys, for those that suggest I take my bike. Unless, you were simply kidding. It's a car , a darn big car.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hehe, yeah, those bad roads sound like Italy. I have been on several roads over there that were not paved and where you had to back up to a place where two cars could pass.

I can't help on this trip, but let me know when you come to AL. That sounds worth driving a couple hours for. I will find a place to eat & hang out
Old 07-27-2010, 10:46 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Steve, normally I'd never answer a post in which you're not doing your now infamous "Rolex Wrist Pose", but since you're asking on a 993 board which car to take, I'm going with 9-9-3, baby

Have fun, and be safe.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

993's need to be up high, Steve.

Roger Pass B.C. 4,325 ft.:

Beartooth Pass 10,947 ft.:

Your trip plan sounds fascinating; now give your car a break.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:58 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
[url]I was pretty much going to take the BMW as it's much more comfortable and 2 of these state highpoints require driving up some fairly nastly, potholed roads for the last 1-3 miles before the high point trail head.
Leave the Porsche at the beginning of the trail head and hike the last couple of miles. Perfect weather to do so and with all that driving the walk will do you a lot of good.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:30 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
Leave the Porsche at the beginning of the trail head and hike the last couple of miles. Perfect weather to do so and with all that driving the walk will do you a lot of good.
That's a good idea if there's a safe pull off area. Thanks for the idea!

Originally Posted by bart1
Hehe, yeah, those bad roads sound like Italy. I have been on several roads over there that were not paved and where you had to back up to a place where two cars could pass.

I can't help on this trip, but let me know when you come to AL. That sounds worth driving a couple hours for. I will find a place to eat & hang out
Cool, I'll file away your information and contact you the week or 2 before I head to AL to let you know time-wise if it works for both of us, meeting up. Awesome.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:39 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 134 Posts

nine nine 3
Old 07-28-2010, 12:58 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty cool/interest hobby, Steve. Have you done this on overseas trips as well?

I think I've picked up from your past posts that you probably won't own your 993 but for another year or two (possibly). You need a last hurray, or two. You gotta take the 993. I'm tall and have taken my car on some long drives. I have my moments of discomfort and then I'm on a twisty road for hours sometimes and never even think about it. A wide open throttle expressway entry is good for 20-30 miles.

Hiking the last few miles will add to the pleasure of your quest.

Also, sent you PM.

chuck

Quick Reply: Crazy 1400 mi road trip this weekend to highest pts in SC, GA & KY.Take 993 or BMW?