Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with buying 993 and are they collectable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:10 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with buying 993 and are they collectable?

Hi,

I just joined here, looked like a very informative forum.

I currently own a 997S Coupe Black/Black and am longing for a 993 to go along with it.

Here is the thing, as it is known that 993s can be valuable cars, I want to purchase it not only for enjoyment, but to know I finally have a car that is not depreciating and may go up in value.

Because I have a 997S Coupe now, I want a 993 Cab, and then I wonder if this car would be as potentially valuable as say an 993S coupe.

What are your thoughts on the 993 Carrera Cab becoming collectable or not?

Also, what are your thoughts on the color combo Arctic Silver/Black, will it be a classic combo?

John
Old 08-19-2010, 11:14 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Want a collectable, then buy a low mileage 993 TT S. After that would be a low mileage 98 993S...
Old 08-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 717 Likes on 467 Posts

I view my 993's as fun cars that "should" depreciate very little over the coming years if I take care of them. Will they be worth more than they are now at some point in the future? No one knows, but even if they cost me a few thousand a year I think they are great "investments" in fun
Old 08-19-2010, 11:29 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blackonblack

Because I have a 997S Coupe now, I want a 993 Cab, and then I wonder if this car would be as potentially valuable as say an 993S coupe.

John
Not likely unless it has some sort of special lineage. Other than that I agree with a Turbo, Turbo S or a '98 2S, then would be any year 4S. I think standard Carreras and cab's will hold value, not sure about any sort of "collectible" status. There were many less of the more "special" models.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:33 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your thoughts on the 993 Carrera Cab becoming collectable or not? Also, what are your thoughts on the color combo Arctic Silver/Black, will it be a classic combo?
It all depends on your definition of "collectible." Generally speaking 993's depreciate less than other sports car. Cabriolets have already depreciated greater than the coupes, so expect to pay less in today's market, especially at the end of the summer. Silver/Black is a great classic combination.

My advice to you...sell the 997 and replace it with a 993 97/98S coupe AND buy a 993 Cabriolet. Your level of satisfaction will be much higher and the factory wide body car will outperform the 997 in the long run. Good luck
Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,850 Likes on 1,726 Posts

I love cabs. I've had a Carrera and a 993 cab. But as a general rule, especially with aircooled Porsches, cabs have much less appeal than a coupe. I guess you could say they are the least collectible of 911s only beat by a 993 cab tiptronic. That said, they offer great value to the open car enthusiast for the same reason. If you want something special that won't blow your wallet get an S car. If you want an open car, get a cab but don't expect it to appreciate or become a collector car.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:50 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I love cabs and I have a cab. If numbers have anything to do with collectability, 993 C4 cabs are very rare. There have been posts here on the numbers built, maybe do a search. But I think that you cannot go wrong with any 911 turbo. Too bad they never made a TT Cab!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Sitparan
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I am pretty sure they made a 993 Turbo Cab in very small numbers. 14 I think I read somewhere. They would be collectable. They had the 3.6 litre late 964 Turbo engine.

Apart from these Cabs, I agree with the others that regualr Cabs are not particularly collectable. I am also not sure they are that much fun to drive either as they are ageing and don't feel as tight and composed as the 993 coupes or the newer Cabs.

I think the Turbo S is the most collectable car if driving comfort is important. Esle I would also look out for the RS made in 95. The RS touring is actually not too harsh to drive compared to the clubsport and is quicker then the normal Carreras as it had a 3.8 litre motor.

After that a Carrera 2S or a Carrera 4S would be quite desireable. However only expect them to go up if you can find a low milage car in original condition you keep them garaged and don't run up the milage.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:13 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is the thing, as it is known that 993s can be valuable cars, I want to purchase it not only for enjoyment, but to know I finally have a car that is not depreciating and may go up in value.
As investments, a car is a sh*ty investment. Sure a garage queen 993TT might hold some value if you don't drive it. "Hold value" as in "lose less than some other cars", but not "appreciate highly".

However, as an investment in yourself and fun, a 993 is a great way to go! But you know already how fun a Porsche can be... Porsche didn't make "art" just to hang on the wall. Get out there and DRIVE!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:27 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think all the 993s will become collectible. Granted, some more than others. The early 911s have shot up in the last 5 years and the 993s will eventually do the same. Just like the lowly 914, nobody thought they would ever be worth much.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

I agree with others that you should consider the purchase of one of these cars first as an investment in real fun. Each of us will use these cars in different ways - so use it in whichever way delivers the most fun for you. Next, if you buy at the right time of the year, namely at the end of the season then you are likely to get a little better bang for the buck in your "investment." Have fun and happy motoring.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:52 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 434 Likes on 272 Posts

The 993 is the last of the true Porsches (air-cooled). It helps that they are probably the best-looking production series made since the original 356. No matter what iteration you choose, nicely-optioned, low-mileage, well-maintained examples will always be in demand. It's no secret that when Porsche-philes congregate, most gravitate to the 993's and say in one way or another that they're the best of the breed.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
The 993 is the last of the true Porsches (air-cooled). It helps that they are probably the best-looking production series made since the original 356. No matter what iteration you choose, nicely-optioned, low-mileage, well-maintained examples will always be in demand. It's no secret that when Porsche-philes congregate, most gravitate to the 993's and say in one way or another that they're the best of the breed.
+1
Old 08-20-2010, 12:13 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Hi,

I

John
Very unlikely IMO
For the majority of current owners, 993 is all about aesthetics.

Look at a S Coupe and look at a Cab, it's all subjective, but which one do you think will hold it's value longer?

Right now Cabs are at least $5k less than coupes.

i doubt that P car convertibles will follow the same increased market value of American cruisers or Muscle cars.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:13 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sitparan
I am also not sure they are that much fun to drive either as they are ageing and don't feel as tight and composed as the 993 coupes or the newer Cabs.
My cab is a blast to drive and it is still a very tight car even with 76k+ on the clock. It may not be a great track car, but I have fun driving it at 35 on a little country road or at 3 digit speeds on the highway.

Cabs are out of favor today, but who knows if that will last. But as Bergamasco said in his post, you should really look at this as "an investment in real fun."

Quick Reply: Help with buying 993 and are they collectable?