Porsche Greeting Protocol?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:54 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 993RS
A reader of the magazine "911 & Porsche World" submitted the following rules (summarized):

First definition of class systems:

A: 993, 996, GT3 (Turbos having obvious precendence over n/a cars)
B: Boxster (all models, but "S" gives you more standing)
C: older 911s, 914
D: 944
E: 924

Rule 1: only wave and/or acknowledge cars within class or one class below (but with due sympathy to those lower down the scale)
Rule 2: crossing path of a car in a class above your own, wait till the other driver initiates the wave.
Rule 3: Never initiate a wave to a car in a class above your own, unless you know the driver
Rule 4: Never wave to a car two or more classes below your own
Rule 5: No matter what, wave should only consist of raising the palm from around the steering wheel. Anything more is ostentatious or over-enthusiastic.
Rule 6: Never allow a passenger to wave. They are not in the club and have no right.
Rule 7: When alongside another Porsche at traffic light, always look directly ahead, avoid eye contact and never, ever engage in eye contact.
Rule 8: Never admire another Porsche when driving. If on foot, and come across another Porsche, brief glances over your shoulder are permitted.
Originally Posted by ABCar
I have been GUILTY (but not yet charged) of breaking one or two of these rules.

I am just too entusiastic to obey all the time but will try.
Andy-- I'm guilty whenever I see an Arena Red Metallic beauty like yours, JPP's, Vincer77's, etc. ... it's a weakness
I lose control & go straight to drooling & stalking. Who knows what I'd do if I saw a WB AR cab in public
Old 08-28-2010, 09:05 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JPP

Yesterday, we drove the cab to Point Reyes for lunch and a beautiful new silver Aston Martin pulls up while I'm parking, window rolls down and gentleman tells me I've got the most beautiful 993 Cab he's ever seen .. just 10 days old .... and he stops to compliment my old sled??
...which is why Speedy & I missed you & Hilde so much in Monterey ^^Many stories like that.

IMHO, what says the most about 993s' curvy charm is the raw, honest, unsolicited, & uncontrollable enthusiasm from young kiddos.
To me, that defines "timeless appeal" like no other, & leaves the most memorable approval.
From the "993 and Attention!" thread:
Originally Posted by Safemoney
Am I the only one that purposely drives slowly so that people WILL slow down and look at my car?
Originally Posted by curve lover

Trae-- I don't, but probably should for the free entertainment factor.
It's when you have to stop or slow down that you can't miss car-fulls of gals squealing in your direction.

... or the testerone-filled lads in pimped-out racers who turn into humble & even sweet kids with awkwardly honest compliments as you pass each other at 15 miles an hour in stop & go traffic

... or the complete strangers who see you pulling behind them at stoplights, & motion out their window to instead pull beside them. You can guess she isn't an auto enthusiast, but is intrinsically attracted to the 993's unique curves, & then that connection has her telling you an enjoyable one-minute chapter of their life story & inviting you out -- all before the next green light

... or the car-guys, ages 15-80, who walk up ot your 993 at the gas pump, like a bee to honey; striking up pleasant conversations that routinely last half an hour+, resulting in new-found friends who have their own amazing auto collections, & then traveling to car shows together

... or the boys & girls on the sidewalk at the stop light who just stare, then ask the cutest questions - it says something to be able to enrapture short-attention children with something from the otherwise boring realm of, gulp, adults!

I now recall when two friends took a convertible Porsche of mine out on a quiet Friday night in a small town. They had fun re-telling their 993 stories for months to come.

Classics like 993s connect in ways that provide incredible memories.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:11 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Andy-- I'm guilty whenever I see an Arena Red Metallic beauty like yours, JPP's, Vincer77's, etc. ... it's a weakness
I lose control & go straight to drooling & stalking. Who knows what I'd do if I saw a WB AR cab in public
...Uh, oh .... I guess we'll (gulp...) have to see what happens sometime soon ...
Old 08-29-2010, 12:31 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default JP & Hilde's up-hill road trip!

Who knows what I'd do if I saw a WB AR cab in public
Originally Posted by JPP

I guess we'll have to see what happens sometime soon
GREAT! JP & Hilde's road trip to meet Speedy

Any similar 356 stories, especially in your 55 1500 Super Speedster?
Originally Posted by RJT

You know, all this waving and flashing lights started with us old 356 guys.
Now days if we see another 356 on the road we not only wave, we pull over and give each other a big hug!!

We were driving the 356 one day and pulled up next to a 928 at a stoplight.
He had his window down and I said to him "nice car", he responded "you too, what kind of car is that?"
Old 08-29-2010, 01:45 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

...which is why Speedy & I missed you & Hilde so much in Monterey ^^Many stories like that.
Yes, I suspect we would have attracted quite a few 993 WB fans. Can you imagine a line-up of you, Grahm, me and Allil out on a nice green lawn somplace? The thought of a rear shot of all 4 cars is bringing a smile to my face ...:-)

GREAT! JP & Hilde's road trip to meet Speedy
I have to say, that does sound tempting, but weather-wise it might not be too practical because the summer boat has sailed where I live. Yesterday we had gale-force coastal winds through the ranch that blew off all of the leaves on my neighbors Poplar windbreak which in NorCal language means Fall is really early...
Last time I was in the Rocky Mountain state, we'd touched down in Colorado Springs in the HP Gulfstream on the company dime. And we all kinda looked like this... :

IIRC 'Disco Inferno' was on the in-plane audio system when we landed ..
'Burn baby 'Burn' Needless to say, the C.S. boys weren't quite 'up to speed' with it all ... I think that was the beginning of the end of my 'Corporate Years' ...

Any similar 356 stories, especially in your 55 1500 Super Speedster?
I drove that car to College when I was studying at Berzerkley. I worked as a janitor at night cleaning banks so the back of the car was always filled with brooms/mops and a vacuum cleaner, handles all sticking out of everywhere. Oh, the glamour .. However, when I think about the 'times' I had in that car it makes me blush ... everytime ... (not my car, but a spitin' image ..)

and since we've officially hijacked this thread and taken it over the proverbial cliff, I'll humbly say that when I was driving that car on a daily basis, I blinked my headlights at every Porsche I saw and I VERY seldom got any recognition or respect from 911 drivers until I spanked their tawdry tails on some twisty hill road ...

Last edited by JPP; 08-29-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

P.S. Drove the cab out to the Valley Ford Hotel yesterday (http://www.vfordhotel.com/) for some of their Crab Cake Benedict, shooters on the half-shell and fresh-made Beignets (can you tell what my 'other' passion is?) On the drive there and back I flashed a 996 coupe, 997 Turbo Cab and a Boxster with NO response, just blank stares of 'What's wrong? Should I know you?' ...

Last edited by JPP; 08-30-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Harry L
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I acknowledge (whether by waving, flashing, knowing nod, etc.) all 993s and all Porsches older than mine (even 924s).

With 996s, Boxsters or 997s: I usually do so, and always do so if they are modified or if the other driver initiates.

The last two days in a row, however, I have experienced the following indignities:

1. Passed and cut off (while I was going about 75-80 mph in my 993) by a fine chap in a 997.2 C4S cab; and

2. Totally ignored by someone (looking right at me) in a nicely lowered (but otherwise stock looking) 996, while I waved.

Sad state of affairs.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:06 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Since this thread "has gone off the cliff";
Rules I'd like to see instead.
Pretty young women feel free to flash me. Everyone else? a wave is fine....

That "is" the kind of flashing you're talking about, right?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flash me Baby.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:10 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now in my 2nd month of ownership. I find that I get the best greetings from Sportbike Riders. Looks, waves and thumbs up from almost all of them. Maybe they know I used to own one? :-)
Old 09-09-2010, 12:37 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a flash from a white Boxster today. I had to shoot my hand up and wave to acknowledge them.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:48 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm embarrassed every time I see this thread. My right bright does not work so I look like a moron every time I flash.

dave
Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Rhino
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

The only way to keep a tradition going is to keep it going. I flash all Porsche owners. So what if they don’t know why I am doing it. At least they will be thinking "What does that idiot want?"

Hell, I remember when we used to also flash each other just to inform each other that there was a cop up the road with radar....which I also still do.

So expect a flash from me letting you know that I see you and love your car!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

As so many of you had the same experience then I do, any Pcar driver above the 993 somehow has no idea what they drive or maybe even how they got in one, they just don't flash.
I got the deer in the headlight look wayyyyy to many times from the watercooled Pcar force. So I adjusted and stopped waving at them. To me anyways, the last true Pcar is the 993, that's why I own one. The other reason is I always have a feeling that other 993 owners seem to have a very good technical understanding of the cars. You can tech talk just about anything and you feel connected right away.
I have talked to 996/997 owners and it's all about which shop has a better service or some gizmo here or gadget there, just never any hardcore tech stuff. I have been a diy guy all my life and I feel we're a dying breed. It's harder and harder to find guys or gals out there that have a half way decent understanding of cars.
And that's being reflected on the road, when you get the "do I know you" stare!
Sad
Old 09-09-2010, 08:18 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It reminds me of bikers. Harley guys and sport bike guys. It seems awkward to me (at best) when I see black and chrome waving with a bright yellow streak! It's a mismatch and I think there is some of that between (some, not all) owners of different P Car owners and their very different cars.

Quick Reply: Porsche Greeting Protocol?