Sponsored by: DashLynx

alarm control module keeps frying its fuse

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 03:30 AM
sjsienna
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alarm control module keeps frying its fuse

So two days ago the central locking stopped working. The immobilizer still works via the key fob, but neither the key fob nor the lock button on the console works to lock/unlock the car.

I did a bunch of searching on this forum (great place!), and found some similar issues -- but none that seemed definitively answered.

As a piece of background - the overhead interior light had broken a few days ago, and I had removed it and left the wires dangling. At some point fairly shortly before this locking problem happened I may have moved the wires while driving and thus shorted the wires out. The interior lights are controlled by the alarm control unit - which also controls the central locks, so it seemed related to me. I ensured the interior light wires are now wrapped in electrical tape.

I took out the passenger seat and checked the 15A fuse directly on the Alarm Control module and found it was blown.

I replaced the fuse (15A) with one of the spares an reinstalled it. I retested, only to find no difference! Checked the new fuse -- it was now blown too....

So at this point - I am left thinking there could be some OTHER short in the wiring harness?? Seems pretty coincidental to me, but still could be.

I saw a thread here with a comment from Robin that the wiring harness can abrade in the passenger door hinge area, but I am not 100 % clear on this.

Any thoughts???

thanks

Rich
Old 10-05-2010, 05:41 PM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM Sent

Quick Reply: alarm control module keeps frying its fuse