Sponsored by: DashLynx

What are we all about?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 09:36 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are we all about?

There is a running thread about "being snubbed by other Porsche drivers" on this site.

Frankly, none of us should give a whit what others do or don't do with respect to recognizing what cars we're driving. I don't get the feeling that folks who hang around here are all that snobby. Frankly, driving a 12 or 15 year old car - perhaps other than a Ferrari or Rolls Royce, does not and should not connote status and even those marquis are "just cars". None of us is any better than any other of us. I hang out here to learn about our cars. Those of us who need other people's "approval" on what we drive or wear should consider some therapy to get better in touch with their "inner self".

To me 911s are fun to drive. Other than this, they are simply a car like many others. If they won't start, run reliably, last a good while then they don't measure up and in the long run won't survive.

As Groucho Marx always said: "I would not want to belong to any club that would have me as a member".
Old 11-18-2010, 09:49 PM
ozpilot
Intermediate

"There is no substitute".
Old 11-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Couldn't agree more...
Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 911 is not just a car.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:18 PM
aircooled
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

driving one is "the most fun one can have with their pants on"
Old 11-18-2010, 10:20 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

A very special car, yes. But it's still a car.
Old 11-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by bart1
A 911 is not just a car.
I am sooo good looking while driving my car. A shame I ever have to climb out of it, and into the rest of my semi ordinary life.

An experience not unlike the old York Peppermint patti commercials

...when I drive my 993, I get the sensation of_____________________
______________________(you fill in the blanks)
Old 11-18-2010, 11:03 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by porschemikeandnancy
There is a running thread about "being snubbed by other Porsche drivers" on this site.

Frankly, none of us should give a whit what others do or don't do with respect to recognizing what cars we're driving. I don't get the feeling that folks who hang around here are all that snobby. Frankly, driving a 12 or 15 year old car - perhaps other than a Ferrari or Rolls Royce, does not and should not connote status and even those marquis are "just cars". None of us is any better than any other of us. I hang out here to learn about our cars. Those of us who need other people's "approval" on what we drive or wear should consider some therapy to get better in touch with their "inner self".

To me 911s are fun to drive. Other than this, they are simply a car like many others. If they won't start, run reliably, last a good while then they don't measure up and in the long run won't survive.

As Groucho Marx always said: "I would not want to belong to any club that would have me as a member".
+1

Personally, the 993 "speaks to me". But that is personal, not something I expect anyone else to see or get....
Old 11-18-2010, 11:08 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Like Jeremy Clarkson said, great cars evoke an emotional response. Voila, 993
Old 11-18-2010, 11:41 PM
KLSpeed27
Racer

Well stated!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:55 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think there's still some misunderstanding. The wave/nod/flash has nothing to do with status, respect or privilege. It's all about shared camaraderie and community with your fellow enthusiast, no different than reading this here on Rennlist.

Same thing would go for motorcycles, classic Mustang, Solstice, you name it, anything people feel passion for, regardless of price. We're fortunate to have a very high proportion of enthusiast owners ("wavers"). Imagine how bummed out a hard-core Miata freak is when he gets 1 wave returned for every 99 confused hair dressers. Note- I love Miatas and used to have one. Just an example.

Last edited by dcdude; 11-19-2010 at 01:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

I also didn't read any of it as being snobby or caring about other people noticing what you drive. I thought it was only about camaraderie, too. It had nothing to do with status or 'approval.' I think you've missed the point of that thread entirely.

I remember when I had my BMW 2002tii. Nobody knew what it was for the most part, and that was fine with me. But when other BMW owners drove by, they flashed their lights. It was simply other enthusiasts saying hello.

I see motorcyclists wave to each other all the time. They're simply acknowledging the experience of motorcycling with each other.

The reality is that we do care about what we're driving. That's why there's Rennlist. That's why there's the PCA. It's a club of owners who have one thing in common. Nothing wrong with that. And if you say hello to another club member, it's nice to get at least a nod or smile in return.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:01 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

@dcdude: that's how I understood it as well. I can't even spell snobe
Old 11-19-2010, 01:37 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,843 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Frankly, none of us should give a whit what others do or don't do with respect to recognizing what cars we're driving.
Oxymoron?

Frankly, driving a 12 or 15 year old car - perhaps other than a Ferrari or Rolls Royce, does not and should not connote status and even those marquis are "just cars".
Actually, there's a number of people I can think of on this board who appreciate the unassuming nature of an older 911, myself included. I don't think many people are buying 993s for status.

None of us is any better than any other of us. I hang out here to learn about our cars. Those of us who need other people's "approval" on what we drive or wear should consider some therapy to get better in touch with their "inner self".
Are you confused? This is the second time you contradict yourself. You talk about independence of thought and equality and then you tell us what we SHOULD think and do.

That's great that you come here to learn about cars. Many people come here for different reasons. Man, there's almost 2M posts on the OT forum. You think they talk about cars over there?

Cool. So should we all aspire to think and be like you?

Sounds like you got a little more than your fair share of that "inner self" therapy you suggested.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Spidey 993

Don't forget to factor in the "typed" meaning versus the face-to-face. Sometimes they aren't the same and can be interpreted 100 different ways by 100 different people.

We are all just a blip on the radar of life. People want to connect and stretch that blip to something more meaningful. I'm cool with it.

Quick Reply: What are we all about?