993 Forum 1995-1998

Uh oh...New seats installed.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 03:06 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Yup, just talked to him, going down to the warehouse this Saturday to do a bum test and will report back.

If I like them, will definitely join the group build. Thanks Darin for setting this up. I will checkout Ray's 993 as well. :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Originally Posted by FisterD
We are actually talking with them about that now about doing some CF for us. The owner of ROTtec, Ray, just picked up a 993 .
KICK ***! I hope it all works out, it would be nice to have a closer/cheaper source for CF fun bits!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:23 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Some more comments fro an older group-buy of these seats that finished this October...people really like the seats, some interesting comments....

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/g...uy-2010-a.html

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-09-2010, 10:26 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Sweeeeet!

Enjoy Darin!
Old 12-09-2010, 02:15 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a good reason to set up a group drive down to pickup exhaust and seats this coming Spring!!
The contrasting stitching looks great! Is Blue or gray thread available? I'm glad no one has slapped a Porsche crest sticker on them yet!!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I visited with Ray for a while yesterday and checked out the various seats, with of course sitting in the various variants. I liked the overall execution, the CF is nice, and the tilting mechanism on the adjustable seats was nice and simple (its the bar across the bottom of the seat) The leather work is great as well, with the quilting being quite an interesting look.

In order to tilt the seats forward, you will have to push on the bar behind the seat. This means reaching down behind the seat to the bottom, and pushing. It will work, makes the mechanism very clean, but just be aware.

I am 6' and about 230 lb., and wide in the shoulders. The two fixed seats were too snug, and I wanted seats that tilted, so I sat in the adjustable ones for a 20 min or so, was pretty comfy. My hips were snugly planted (big butt like myself!!) but OK, but I was not too sure about the upper back, it seems both shoulder blades touched the seat, but the center of my back did not touch the seat (i.e. the seat has a lot of curvature). After a while they stayed quite comfortable, but its hard to comment what a 6 hour drive would be like. However, it seems that you would stay planted in these seats, especially those with Alcantara.

The shells/guides/mechanism are made in Asia, and shipped to Ray's depot in Vancouver. The factory also makes OEM seats but he would not say the brand. Ray then has the rest done locally here in Vancouver, which means it's duty free to the U.S. The Alcantara version is an imitation, but looks nice. I also like the way the center cushions can be taken in and out, and swapped with different patterns, so you can go from cloth to leather if you want, or repairs the bolsters (which will get worn) easily. He can do them heated as well, and is looking at adding the torpedo hole on the tilting seat, since the other fixes styles already have them.

I have not seen the newer version yet with the Recaro layout, and I know he is trying to get them on the next shipment which may include the GB.

I did notice a little dimple on the seat belt guides on the top of the seats (outside edge). It has to do with the plastic injection moulding. You can just see it on the pictures below.

I like the tilting adjustment mechanism...hopefully Darin can comment on how the clearance of these seats to the inside tunnel when they are mounted them in your 993? Ray has a 996 Turbo as well as the 993 C4S, has these CF seats in his Turbo, but not the 993 yet.

I have no issues with the quality if the seats, they look great. For people who want CF, they are wonderful, but I do not have any CF in the car, and so not sure right now if I want to pay that premium to start that slippery slope.

You can see the construction of the bottom of the seat here...very smooth, it also means that the pads you are sitting on are just that, pads, no springs or suspension in the seats. All the center pads just pull out and can be swapped.

Top view of one with Alcanthra center coverings.

View from the back. You can see the slight variation on the plastic seat belt guides on the top of the seat...no the truly **** people might notice.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-12-2010, 09:34 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
I visited with Ray for a while yesterday and checked out the various seats, with of course sitting in the various variants.
Mike,
Great write-up! As for the first pic, that's some seriously ham-fisted driving!

Andreas
Old 12-13-2010, 01:30 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Mike,
Great write-up! As for the first pic, that's some seriously ham-fisted driving!

Andreas
Well, I have been told I can be quite a ham!!

Here is an image Ray sent me of the Recaro version of the seats ..these ones I like quite a bit as well.

Cheers,

Mike
Attached Images  
Old 12-13-2010, 03:11 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Mike,Thanks for the great write up. I will be putting the group buy post together this week and it will include the new "Recaro" style seat as well. I will also take some more pics of my seats installed.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

will the folding seat be deep enough to hold you in place in a track situation with a harness?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:42 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it possible to get without the CF back? Something other for those of us who don't have CF?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:34 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Wow the recaro style would IMO fit perfectly with the 993 era.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:04 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rob 97 993c2
will the folding seat be deep enough to hold you in place in a track situation with a harness?
My rear was definitely held in, and the shoulders were pretty good. Ray indicated he wanted to add a submarine hole on all the seats (currently only on the fixed seats).

I really want to drive with these in the car to see how they hold....its hard to tell with only 20 minutes sitting on seats on the floor of a warehouse.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:16 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Is it possible to get without the CF back? Something other for those of us who don't have CF?
+1. I currently have no CF in my car. I like the look of the Recaro style,.....would like 'em all black leather with the hard parts/backs painted Guards Red.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:23 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1. I currently have no CF in my car. I like the look of the Recaro style,.....would like 'em all black leather with the hard parts/backs painted Guards Red.
Brian, that would bad ***! I gotta check out your wheels closer next time I see you. I'm really liking them in the pic!

I want a pair of these seats and I don't have a 993 right now!
Old 12-14-2010, 03:28 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ray can pipe in, but I think the essential idea is he is selling CF seats...that is why these are not cheap. If you do not want CF, there are tons of other options that might match your needs. I would be a shame to buy these seats and then paint the backs...

Quick Reply: Uh oh...New seats installed.