Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Almost made a huge mistake today

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Since no one posted a pic, and I've been dying of curiosity to know what they looked like, here goes...

A gaggle of them

If I was still in high school, I would want one of these for sure!

This isn't a car that would appeal to me today. My tastes have changed.

I'd probably stare at it at an intersection though...

I'll bet kids like this car...

This doesn't work for me on so many levels, but only because I'm partial to German cars

Whoa boy, not my personal style

Hmmm - I've seen worse, but still... not me.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:02 AM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Ford is handsome.

Maybe they can hire Porch to help with those things under the skin?

Didn't Porch hire Toyota to help them out?
Old 12-11-2010, 12:08 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw one today and turn-signals annoyed the f'yuck out of me.

Pretty impressive keeping up with the M3 on track like that tho, very impressive, actually.

If it just wasn't so damn ugly. I keep waiting for the day. Oh well.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:16 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

At this point, however, isn't the BMW M3 just a higher end German Mustang? Both are front-engined RWD cars stuffed with V8s that pack 415 horses, both heavy pigs, similar dimensions, philosophy etc.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:30 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

I dunno. Not very familiar with either of those cars TBH. I do wonder if the two were put on a track for 20 laps against a stock 993 which would win. Serious question, brakes matter on track.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
I dunno. Not very familiar with either of those cars TBH. I do wonder if the two were put on a track for 20 laps against a stock 993 which would win. Serious question, brakes matter on track.
they sure do...but the mustang comes with some serious brakes.

Its only shortfall may be the extra weight it carries.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:45 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

OK, let's make it an enduro, 200 laps of Road America, dead of Summer. Who wins? I lean toward 993. The other two cars wouldn't even finish (if pushed hard.)
Old 12-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
OK, let's make it an enduro, 200 laps of Road America, dead of Summer. Who wins? I lean toward 993. The other two cars wouldn't even finish (if pushed hard.)
why not?

why are you so sure the 993 would finish?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:11 AM
jw97C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are too easy getting played with the "if you were true car guys you would respect the mustang" line. 99% of Mustangs end up scrap but now this latest and greatest mustang will be the 1% that is really something special. My prediction: give it 5 years and every HS kid will have one.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
why not?

why are you so sure the 993 would finish?
Yes. You're right; street and race Fords are known for their legendary reliability and solidity over street and race Porsches...
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 PM
whalebird
Race Car

The automotive biz was a different thing pre-'97. Everybody had to build different cars afterwards. The europeans are just now adjusting, they are building the "thinnest" cars they ever have. Ford was prepared for this and has built some of the best cars since. Today, Fords engineering, execution, technology, and fit/finish is among the best in the world easily. The asians aren't even a player today.
Ford's product line these days is awesome.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by jw97C2S
You guys are too easy getting played with the "if you were true car guys you would respect the mustang" line. 99% of Mustangs end up scrap but now this latest and greatest mustang will be the 1% that is really something special. My prediction: give it 5 years and every HS kid will have one.
Many car enthusiasts love mustangs. There is a reason they have been so popular since 1964.5. 99% end up as scrap? Don't be ignorant.

Just because in 5 years, there will be used mustangs in the high school parking lot, doesn't mean they are poor cars.

I can respect corvettes, WRX STIs, EVOs, etc, as good performance cars, even if I don't like them or want to buy one.

Why can't you do the same?

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Yes. You're right; street and race Fords are known for their legendary reliability and solidity over street and race Porsches...
Solidity huh?

We are talking about taking two street cars for a 200 lap enduro event. Some race cars won't make that if pushed all out.

What makes you think either will complete it?

Btw, ford has been quite successful in racing...but I figured you knew that.

Originally Posted by whalebird
The automotive biz was a different thing pre-'97. Everybody had to build different cars afterwards. The europeans are just now adjusting, they are building the "thinnest" cars they ever have. Ford was prepared for this and has built some of the best cars since. Today, Fords engineering, execution, technology, and fit/finish is among the best in the world easily. The asians aren't even a player today.
Ford's product line these days is awesome.
nooooo, its not possible. All fords are junk and should be scrapped or given away to poor people.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:54 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 452 Posts

Many car enthusiasts love Mustangs.
And I do, the older ones (late 60s) as well as the older Corvettes (63-67 as well as 70 LT1)...as terrible as they are, I prefer them over the new stuff. But then, maybe I prefer cars that have a raw character about them. Just as the 997 didn't do a thing for me and I bought a 993 (even if they were priced the same).
Old 12-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,839 Likes on 1,723 Posts

nooooo, its not possible. All fords are junk and should be scrapped or given away to poor people.
Okay, that's about enough drama don't you think?

Ford is not junk. Actually, Ford has been making some pretty decent product. But we're not talking about Ford here. We're talking about Mustangs and specifically, we're talking about Mustangs among a bunch of Porsche enthusiasts in relation and comparison to the 993. I reiterate that IMO, the (2010) Mustang GT, in the context of a sports car, drives like a two-door Buick. That it's an overpowered pig good for teenage rednecks to do burnouts and killing Honda Civics at every stoplight. It's just simply not a driver's car. It's a car for people who need a ***** extension and the new 415HP engine gives people with $36k the ability get one in spades. Now they can keep up with M3s and 7.1 GT3s.

Now, if you want to talk about the Ford Fusion in the context of economy sedans or the F150 in the context of pick up trucks or even the GT40 as an extraordinary achievement (I'd take one in a heartbeat) by an economy manufacturer, I don't think anyone here is going to argue that Ford has come a long, long way. I would say their turnaround story is second only to the story of Hyundai which started with the POS Pony only 25 years ago and now comes up with products like the Genesis. Ford's quality improvement nor the new 415HP engine nor some magazine's claim that it can beat another overpowered pig (M3) make the Mustang a decent sports car. Sorry.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:02 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

The 993 & the Mustang - both have horses on the front. One rampant, one feral.

It's all good.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Almost made a huge mistake today