993 Forum 1995-1998

993 steering rack dis-assembly.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:41 PM
bcaway
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 993 steering rack dis-assembly.

Anyone pulled a 993 rack apart? I need any tips on dis-assembly.
An exploded view would be even more help.

I have a leaking seal (have seal kit from: http://www.klaindustries.net/)
I have removed the 3 bolts and removed the input shaft cover, exposing a bearing, whats the trick to removing the bearing?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:00 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry cant help with instructions but had the same happen in the last year. Had the work done at an Indy and the total cost was $1500. They sent it to a firm in Auckland who refurbished it. Just FYI
Old 01-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Have not done this either...I pulled and installed the rack, but had it refurbished by a rebuilding company. I talked to them, sounded like some specialized tools are required, so I would be curious what you find out.

Can you take pictures of the process? It would be a great addition to pcarworkshop...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-11-2011, 03:59 AM
bcaway
Intermediate

Thanks Kiwi Car guy, the name of the Auckland outfit would be good to have, unlikely I will send it there as I can have it refurbished for around $450 USD. But I may get a tidbit of info on how it comes apart from them

It seems really simple (famous last words) with only a set of o rings and a couple cup seals. Appears to be basic hydrolics and I've rebuild rams before. We don't have any Porsche mechanics in town. So I'm DIY on this one.

Apart for a tool I may have to make to remove the bearing the unit looks simple with a couple c-clips in each end and a pin thru the input shaft.

I will definitely document the rebuild with photos etc. and share. But before I go experimenting and break something on disassembly I'm hoping to talk to someone that has rebuilt one just to get the low down of order of disasembly.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up a rebuilt ZF rack on Ebay, from carsteering.com for around $350 = core. Nice rack!
Old 01-13-2011, 05:00 AM
bcaway
Intermediate

bump... anyone know someone that has rebuilt a 993 rack, I need 5 mins of his time to discuss the disassembly order.

cheers
Old 01-13-2011, 09:47 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bcaway
Anyone pulled a 993 rack apart? I need any tips on dis-assembly.
An exploded view would be even more help.

I have a leaking seal (have seal kit from: http://www.klaindustries.net/)
I have removed the 3 bolts and removed the input shaft cover, exposing a bearing, whats the trick to removing the bearing?
Here's a well documented thread on a 928 rack rebuild ....... worth reading, for it is quite similar to a 993 rack.

Post your results please, as I've a leaking 993 rack in the spares pile .... and am masochistic enough to attempt a rebuild: good luck

Quick Reply: 993 steering rack dis-assembly.