Sponsored by: DashLynx

:::bought my first Porsche :) ::: newbie member too

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 AM
gaby1088
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Welcome, but what a horrible year, and crappy color!

I too have a '94 (early in the year) build '95 (M718). Factory alarm, but key activated in the door lock. I have no problem locking/unlocking via the key, and the lack of risk of a problem with the immobilizer seems to offset any inconvenience.
thanks seems to be that the immobilizer does more harm than good!
To each his own about the color though, i love blue.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by gaby1088
Ummm, it was a joke.....mine's Midnight Blue Metallic.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Spidey 993

Gabe, he is just pulling your leg! He just bought the exact same color combo as you and was making a joke. You being such a newbie probably didn't see his new car 'Sapphire'. His avatar has his other car 'Ruby' in it.

For that miscommunication, I say he must change his avatar to include both cars eh?!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:18 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The early '95s like mine came with just the old fashioned turn the key in the lock technology. I agree that I like that over the imobilizer and it's potential problems.

For simple convenience and for not wanting to scratch my door/door handle if in a hurry with the key, I added a simple keyless entry system. Just keyless entry,...no alarm, sirens, senors, etc.. It was a $31 purchase from JCWhitney.com. I now have a little 3 button (lock, unlock and trunk - not activated) remote/keyfob.

Here's one really similar to mine for 20 bucks:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/model-6rt-r...wx?filterid=j1

If you search "keyless entry DIY" you should come up with a thread or two about it. It really wasn't hard (if I can do it, anybody can), I just spliced the little control module (the size of two cigarette packs next to each other) into the the door lock/alarm system under the passenger seat (didn't even have to remove seat, just had it as far forward as it could go.) Check it out, it's a nice, simple, satisfying DIY mod.

P.S. Congrats on the car, love the colors. Welcome to the madness.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by tjeff993
Gabe, he is just pulling your leg! He just bought the exact same color combo as you and was making a joke. You being such a newbie probably didn't see his new car 'Sapphire'. His avatar has his other car 'Ruby' in it.

For that miscommunication, I say he must change his avatar to include both cars eh?!
Fixed!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:13 AM
Spidey 993

Fixed!
Excellent, nice avatar
Old 01-11-2011, 11:27 AM
gaby1088
Instructor

Ummm, it was a joke.....mine's Midnight Blue Metallic.
did not see that facepalm for me haha
Originally Posted by sdcabrio
The early '95s like mine came with just the old fashioned turn the key in the lock technology. I agree that I like that over the imobilizer and it's potential problems.

For simple convenience and for not wanting to scratch my door/door handle if in a hurry with the key, I added a simple keyless entry system. Just keyless entry,...no alarm, sirens, senors, etc.. It was a $31 purchase from JCWhitney.com. I now have a little 3 button (lock, unlock and trunk - not activated) remote/keyfob.

Here's one really similar to mine for 20 bucks:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/model-6rt-r...wx?filterid=j1

If you search "keyless entry DIY" you should come up with a thread or two about it. It really wasn't hard (if I can do it, anybody can), I just spliced the little control module (the size of two cigarette packs next to each other) into the the door lock/alarm system under the passenger seat (didn't even have to remove seat, just had it as far forward as it could go.) Check it out, it's a nice, simple, satisfying DIY mod.

P.S. Congrats on the car, love the colors. Welcome to the madness.
perfect, so i just have to buy that and do an easy DIY? if so thats awesome thanks for the info, its just what i wanted.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:31 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 179 Posts

Congratulations! And my recommendation on what to do when you get it - DRIVE IT!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Black993
Drifting

congrats on the car. Love the color.

If you do end up with the 18's might want to order a steering rack brace since it recommended for 18's and up. Fairly cheap and about 10 minutes to install start to finish.

Also, get a spare DME relay (fuel pump). They are known to go bad. Keep it in your glove box for the day it does decide to take a crap on you.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:43 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Change all fluids and filters as a minimum. This way you have a starting point and know where it stands.
Congrats! That's a lot of car for a 22 year old. I was rolling an '86 MR2 at that age.

Can you do your own wrenching? A great start would be Esco "flat top" jack stands. Once the car is up, you can easily do your oil change and bleed your brakes and clutch slave. Not to burden you with too many costs, but a Motiv Euro Power Bleeder is a great help with this.

Sunset Imports in Beaverton is a great place to get your OEM oil filters (that's two) o-rings and crush washers. Get two sets of everything to save on shipping next time. Not sure if they have ATE brake fluid. Probably Porsche only, but they may have a good price on that. Check your brake reservoir to see if you have blue or gold fluid right now and order the opposite color.

How's your rear window? I had great luck with Novus plastic polish (#2 then #1) on the rear window of my Miata. Don't get it on the cloth...it never comes out!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:53 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome- I'm also a member at E46fanatics, although I don't enjoy spending time there like I do here. I think you'll enjoy the 993 community here on Rennlist much more than that forum.

Sounds like your car is like mine (a late 94 build)- factory alarm but no immobilizer.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:54 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

Originally Posted by dcdude
Congrats! That's a lot of car for a 22 year old. I was rolling an '86 MR2 at that age.

Can you do your own wrenching? A great start would be Esco "flat top" jack stands. Once the car is up, you can easily do your oil change and bleed your brakes and clutch slave. Not to burden you with too many costs, but a Motiv Euro Power Bleeder is a great help with this.

Sunset Imports in Beaverton is a great place to get your OEM oil filters (that's two) o-rings and crush washers. Get two sets of everything to save on shipping next time. Not sure if they have ATE brake fluid. Probably Porsche only, but they may have a good price on that. Check your brake reservoir to see if you have blue or gold fluid right now and order the opposite color.

How's your rear window? I had great luck with Novus plastic polish (#2 then #1) on the rear window of my Miata. Don't get it on the cloth...it never comes out!
Thanks! Yea I like to do a lot of DIY on my daily but now im applying to medical school so i have very little time to do anything! I do plan on changing the oil myself and doing other small DIY. Right now im taking a break from studying for my MCAT that i take in 2 weeks. Once i take the test ill really get into the car and learn where everything is. I just spoke with the trucker who is delivering the car and he said he will be here friday at around noon. The rear window was definately something i wanted to ask, its in pretty good condition but is not very clear. Ill look into that, can you PM me what you mean by not putting it on a cloth? How should I do it then? Why would I have to put the opposite color on brake fluid? Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2011, 01:55 PM
gaby1088
Instructor

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
Welcome- I'm also a member at E46fanatics, although I don't enjoy spending time there like I do here. I think you'll enjoy the 993 community here on Rennlist much more than that forum.

Sounds like your car is like mine (a late 94 build)- factory alarm but no immobilizer.
sweet, yea since i discovered this forum i have not gone back to e46! just to the OT to get a good laugh sometimes lol. People here seem a lot nicer!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:36 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 455 Posts

Sunset Imports in Beaverton is a great place to get your OEM oil filters.
Chuck, what do they cost? I get everything from Jeff at Sunset except the filters (oil, air, fuel, cabin air). I automatically assumed those were cheaper at Pelican which is where I have been buying them along with the ATE Blue and the Motive Products Power Bleeder (0109 model BTW).

My suggestion for cleaning wax from a soft top seemed to have worked.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:41 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 655 Likes on 455 Posts

I do plan on changing the oil myself and doing other small DIY.
Then you'll want to bookmark P Car Workshop - 993.

Quick Reply: :::bought my first Porsche :) ::: newbie member too